Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

Neighbour just found a brown in his yard. We just ran over a snake about 3 kms from home this morning and he goes and finds one in his yard this avo :(

We have a kennel set up for the Bullmastiffs in our garage with big industrial fans and he mentioned about a snake netting.

We leave the garage doors open so need a netting that can go across the double garage.

Any recommendations please.

Maybe chicken wire.all rolled up. Would that be strong enough? We had a big brown in our yard last Boxing day after some flooding and another in the paddock next door.

I know there is a snake thread but just to save going through all the pages, or maybe someone can highlight a post.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The netting is bird netting, is fine and small and stops them from going through. You need to put it on an angle and fix it to the ground. Snakes go straight through chicken wire.

The do-gooders will claim it's cruel to the snakes etc, because they get caught up, but it sure beats the hell out of one in your kennels and dead dogs.

Google is your friend and there are plenty of pics about, of how owners have it set up.

Have you thought of those solar snake repellants, ?

the jury's out on these.... perhaps save your money ;)

Hi,

A friend uses the bird netting that goes over the top of fruittrees which can be bought from Bunnings, around her chicken run.......though she has it laying loosely on the ground and has caught 3 snakes this year in it. Her neighbour has an orchard and this is what he does to keep snakes out.

The do-gooders will claim it's cruel to the snakes etc, because they get caught up, but it sure beats the hell out of one in your kennels and dead dogs.

Err... it is! So call me a do-gooder for caring about cruelty to animals? :confused: Shadecloth used in the same way will keep them out and the snakes won't get caught in it. Sure beats the hell out of an angry snake in pain dying in your netting. But hey, wouldn't want to be considered a do-gooder or something. :rolleyes:

Err... it is! So call me a do-gooder for caring about cruelty to animals? :confused: Shadecloth used in the same way will keep them out and the snakes won't get caught in it. Sure beats the hell out of an angry snake in pain dying in your netting. But hey, wouldn't want to be considered a do-gooder or something. :rolleyes:

Shadecloth and fine wire won't catch them and they can't be disposed of that way.

OK so we have brought bird netting. Had a great talk to one of the ladies at Bunnings. She said that snakes at the mo are very much out and about.

Spoke to the neighbour when we got home and he gave us a big peice of poly pipe. His dad who lives across the road had just had another snake in their yard while we were out. :(

We have sorted out the garage area(hopefully all will be good)

Our section is too huge to put netting all around.

And yes I am not convinced the snake repellants work.

Hubby just told me what to do with the poly pipe LOL and I will use it if necessary.

I hope we will be OK.

We are always vigilant and the Bulldog is inside but my beautiful Bullmastiffs have to be outside.

Thank you so much everyone. Even though we have been here over 4 years now I still hate snakes.

Remember, though, your dogs will still get bitten if they are in reach of the netting & a snake gets tangled in it & starts to get excited. Have you thought of those solar snake repellants, ?

Dogs arent in reach of the netting. They have their own separate indoor run away from the door.

We also have big industrial fans going so hopefully the vibration from those will keep them away.

If you have the netting and it is away from the kennels you should be fine.

Also make sure you check it often as although I to am not a fan of snakes I do not like things to die slowly or be in agony. So check the neeting often so any snakes caught up can be dealt with as quickly as possible.

I decided to try the snake repellers as although they may not work, well they may!! I have had two people who live not too far from me say they saw no snakes near their houses etc last year. I know of no-one who saw none, I saw around 20 - lost count after 14. So I am giving them a try if they don't work well I threw away some money, if they do - bonus!!

You can get snake and mouse mesh from bunnings -6mm squares, so maybe you could run some of that around the bottom of your dog runs as well???

If you have the netting and it is away from the kennels you should be fine.

Also make sure you check it often as although I to am not a fan of snakes I do not like things to die slowly or be in agony. So check the neeting often so any snakes caught up can be dealt with as quickly as possible.

I decided to try the snake repellers as although they may not work, well they may!! I have had two people who live not too far from me say they saw no snakes near their houses etc last year. I know of no-one who saw none, I saw around 20 - lost count after 14. So I am giving them a try if they don't work well I threw away some money, if they do - bonus!!

You can get snake and mouse mesh from bunnings -6mm squares, so maybe you could run some of that around the bottom of your dog runs as well???

Are you saying that the people who sas no snakes had the repellers installed????? I thought I might give them a go. I think there are some cheap imitations around so cheapest may not always be best. If they don't work then I will not be a very good customer & will tell them so, but if they do, then as you say....a bonus.

Shadecloth and fine wire won't catch them and they can't be disposed of that way.

a) That is illegal.

b) Someone needs to take population ecology 101.

a) That is illegal.

really ? I would never have known

anyway the OP's problem will be solved by the netting and the dogs will be protected

a) That is illegal.

really ? I would never have known

anyway the OP's problem will be solved by the netting and the dogs will be protected

:thumbsup:

I love animals but I love my dogs more, I would much rather a dead snake then a dead dog!!

When I was in WA, my yard looked like fort knox with all the snake/mouse proof fencing and netting everywhere! I worked long hours and the nearest vet was 3 hours away so I am sorry but I certainly didn't want to come home to two dead dogs!

Edited by tollersowned

The use of bird netting will turn a snake into a dangerous animal very quickly.

It is a cruel and inhumane death because the snake will cut

itself in to pieces over a few dys and the pain and suffering needs to be addressed.

birdnetting

Does this link work

When a snake is in birdnet it is in pain and will bite anything with venom,

Please do not use this evil stuff as it not only catches snakes but more often kills bluetongues and bearded dragon.