Whippet

Hi all,

Just wanted to post here in case anyone knows of a whippet needing a forever home. We currently have an 8.5yo labrador wild child and a 6 month old Husky. Indoor/outdoor depending on where we are. We both work from home and love our fur kids as much as the human ones. I love whippets and just thought if there is one out there needing foster or rescue I'd like to look into opening the doors to another doggie :-)

Thanks - am in southern nsw..

Im not sure that a 6 month old sibe and a lab are the right companions for a whippet. Whippets have skin that can tear and arent as robust as a young sibe etc. I would be worried that the whippet would be injured. I run iggy rescue and we also rehome whippets sometimes, and on the face of it we would not be happy with you adopting a whippet from us with your current dogs.

Perhaps a larger sighthound might be a good option?

Im not sure that a 6 month old sibe and a lab are the right companions for a whippet. Whippets have skin that can tear and arent as robust as a young sibe etc. I would be worried that the whippet would be injured. I run iggy rescue and we also rehome whippets sometimes, and on the face of it we would not be happy with you adopting a whippet from us with your current dogs.

Perhaps a larger sighthound might be a good option?

Agree with you indigirl.I have larger sighthounds as in greyhounds that are definately more robust but still have that thin skin that would tear with an over excited 6 month old sibe.It's wonderful that you are considering a rescue but just thinking maybe a whippet may not be the go for you.Good luck with it. :)

I have 2 golden retirevers a chihuahua and a 14 week old whippet. Shelley my female golden retriever is only 3 years old and she gets along great with Missy my whippet, Buddy the male golden is 13 years old and also gets along well with Missy, Rascal my 6 year old male chihuahua is alright with Missy, he can be mean at times but Missy bringsd it on herself. I think it really depends on the other dogs temperment and how they play with other dogs, But in saying that my Missy is pretty rough when she plays.

I have 2 golden retirevers a chihuahua and a 14 week old whippet. Shelley my female golden retriever is only 3 years old and she gets along great with Missy my whippet, Buddy the male golden is 13 years old and also gets along well with Missy, Rascal my 6 year old male chihuahua is alright with Missy, he can be mean at times but Missy bringsd it on herself. I think it really depends on the other dogs temperment and how they play with other dogs, But in saying that my Missy is pretty rough when she plays.

You got another dog when you had all those problems with your existing pets? :confused:

• 5 months later...

I have Nuscha if you are interested - she is a whippet x - slightly taller/thicker than pure whippet but not by much - very people focussed and would need to be around her people/inside a fair bit - doesn't like being left alone or missing out - none of the photos we have been able to get do her justice - they make her look bigger than she is:

http://www.petrescue....au/view/153767

Edited by Just Andrea

Personally I would steer clear of any "Whippet x Kelpie" types, none of those Pet Rescue links, apart from the little fawn and white girl, look anything like Whippets to me. I dare say they probably have the behaviour and temperaments of Kelpies rather than Whippets too! There are always adult and rescue Whippets around. Try here Whippet Club NSW

Otherwise look on the breed pages here on DOL, there are also adults that need rehoming.

Adult Whippets for rehoming

Having said that, im not sure a boisterous big Lab and Sibe would be a good combination either, it would depend a lot on the Whippet that you get.

Good luck :)