Yoghurt For Dogs

wantsapuppy

hehe wantsapuppy I am NOT the person you should be getting advice to feed your dogs from! My dogs are on a somewhat "liberal" diet! It suits them just fine but not something I would go around telling people they should do! :laugh:

HAHAHA we dont have dogs YET and hey its they tolerate it then good for them.

But just out of curiasity what kind of fruit do you feed your pooches

Basically every single fruit they have tried except the stuff which is actually dangerous to them like grapes

Bitty ADORES jackfruit, mangoes (I buy a case every week because I love the look on her face when I peel them one) and nashi pears

Every morning they have a mix of apple, pear, kiwi, banana (before cyclone) and whatever other fruit is in season plus the yoghurt

hehe wantsapuppy I am NOT the person you should be getting advice to feed your dogs from! My dogs are on a somewhat "liberal" diet! It suits them just fine but not something I would go around telling people they should do! :laugh:

HAHAHA we dont have dogs YET and hey its they tolerate it then good for them.

But just out of curiasity what kind of fruit do you feed your pooches

Basically every single fruit they have tried except the stuff which is actually dangerous to them like grapes

Bitty ADORES jackfruit, mangoes (I buy a case every week because I love the look on her face when I peel them one) and nashi pears

Every morning they have a mix of apple, pear, kiwi, banana (before cyclone) and whatever other fruit is in season plus the yoghurt

Mosley LOVES fruit. Especially banana. If one of us picks one up he's there in a second sitting in front of us drooling on the floor :laugh:

I give them the mango skins too and they lick them clean.

nawww.. give me more Yum Cha, woman!!

He is soo cute!

ETA: Forgot to answer the question... Charlie and Em gets yoghurt once or twice a week. They have a teaspoon each, as a treat.

Edited by CW EW

James got a tablespoon or two of either natural yoghurt or cottage cheese most days when he was little. I haven't bothered in ages as he doesn't eat dry food in a bowl anymore and I don't want to have to wash his bowl for a simple spoonful of yoghurt :o

As for fruit, most things are fair game to him. Strawberry heads, blueberries, apples, pears, mango...etc. He loves orange juice. Very, very much.

The grapes thing is something of a myth. Yes, there are documented incidents of dogs having kidney failure after eating grapes.

I've got 7 acres of grapes. The only way I could keep the dogs from eating grapes at harvest time is to keep them indoors 24/7. Which I don't. I have no idea of how many grapes they eat at harvest, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eat half a kg/day.

I've asked on various grape-grower forums whether anyone's ever had problems with their dogs getting sick from eating grapes.

No one has.

My guess is it's a little like peanuts and kids. Yes, a few react badly. But it's a very few. . . . one in a thousand. For the rest, it's harmless.

The grapes thing is something of a myth. Yes, there are documented incidents of dogs having kidney failure after eating grapes.

I've got 7 acres of grapes. The only way I could keep the dogs from eating grapes at harvest time is to keep them indoors 24/7. Which I don't. I have no idea of how many grapes they eat at harvest, but I wouldn't be surprised if they eat half a kg/day.

I've asked on various grape-grower forums whether anyone's ever had problems with their dogs getting sick from eating grapes.

No one has.

My guess is it's a little like peanuts and kids. Yes, a few react badly. But it's a very few. . . . one in a thousand. For the rest, it's harmless.

I wonder if it is an extension from sultanas, raisins, being bad for dogs. I think I remember reading that sulfur is used in the drying process and I think sulphur is bad for dogs. Don't know if this is correct.

Hard to overfeed yoghurt. For people with large or multiple dogs, you can do it cheaply. Get an EasyYo system and make your own using some Greek yoghurt as starter. You can use powdered milk as a base. It's simple. Dogs love it.

(I haven't done this for a long time . . . must get back into it).

have you noticed how much more expensive the sachets have gotten? i used to pay around $2.30 a pack; now they're around $4 :(

I just bought the system today and yeah 4.50 or something like that for the sachet.

the price is getting over the top considering i can purchase a 1kg tub of Jalna for not a lot more (around 50 cents more) and i don't have to make it myself :(

Once you have the kit , you don't need to buy the satchels, just use use a few spoons of good quality yoghurt add milk and some powdered milk, or use greek yoghurt like sandgrubber said, much healthier. Mal loves licking out the containers, thats all she gets. Most dogs are probably like most people, attracted to the sugar. :)

No one has.

I know a dog who got very ill eating grapes - she ate quite a lot tho at least a whole bunch ir more