Cat Brings Home Dead Animals

Angeluca

I know this is a dog forum but it does have most relevance.

I got a cat male 18mths soon to be desexed, not aggressive very affectionate comes inside and sleeps on floor or outside on cushion furniture. This cat loves to kill rabbits and brings them home to eat in the shed, he gets fed, everything from dry to chicken necks ect. he is also 1 of four that i have. he started a couple of months ago on the occasion all that i found was legs.

today I've gone out to find he has caught 2 yes 2 baby rabbits ate half of one, by half i mean head, front legs and half of the torso. then went out and caught another and just ate it's head.

I know rabbit carry diseases and also get poisoned so I am concerned about my dogs eating his left overs, But what is also concerning is, is he killing for fun????

He doesn't bother with birds or lizards or snakes when he sleeps on the veranda many birds walk past him to get to my dogs food he really couldn't care! and it's the dogs who like to chase down any bearded dragons that come into the yard to my disgust! and they get a stern talking to.

this cat has grown with the dogs and is more likely to sleep in the dog kennel with the dogs then with the other cats. Do I have a problem cat?

You have a normal cat. Mine is an inside cat - i've been presented with everything from a lizard to a cockroach that he's killed in the house. It's what cats do. I choose not to let him roam for that reason because he would kill something bigger.

He is a hunter. He was born a hunter and will probably stay as a hunter.

I owned a cat like him for 14 years and I will never own another a cat again.

We tried everything to curb his activities but it was too strong an instinct.

I never appreciated his presents.

Nowadays cat cubes can be set up and you can train young cats to live in them and the other critters are safe. We did not have cat cubes when my cat was alive and I think I know the racket he would have made if contained in such a unit. :laugh:

Souff

My cat is 99% indoors but takes great delight in leaving half skink torsos for us. A big wriggly skink tail is what got her moving again when she was paralysed by Orijen food. Your cat is being a totally normal cat - it's the cats who don't prey on anything who are unusual (although it can make them better pets).

We used to live near a river and always had somewhere between 2 and 5 cats at the house. They all used to hunt but one of them, Chopsticks, a little tortoiseshell was ridiculous. She brought in blue tongues, all sorts of birds and then began bringing in bats :eek:

After that I decided not to keep cats anymore as I felt terrible!

Edited by Aussie3

Poor wildlife! Cats are very efficent hunters, and eill kill anything that moves for the thrill of it.

Keep your cat(s)inside, or in an outdoor enclosure/cat run or both.

They live longer, and the local wildlife will be safe. :)

I don't believe in letting cats roam to kill other animals, and please get him desexed in case he decides to impregnate a female and adds to the ever growing litters of kittens, many of which are put to sleep because there isnt enough homes.

You have an 18 mth old tomcat?

:( no wonder he roams and hunts.It is normal behaviour for cats .... even lovely affectionate purring machines :)

What you probably don't see are the small birds/lizards/animals he hunts and eats ..he will only carry larger stuff home, so he can eat undisturbed .

I love my cats, that is why they are kept 99% contained- so they do not get exposed to poisons/cars/ eagles/traps/angry neighbours/stray dogs or feral tomcats.

Being contained, they also do not get a chance to kill wildlife, pee on my plants/house , or use the vege patch as a litter tray.My cats were castrated young , before they matured ..so they never had a chance to increase the feral cat population.

you may be interested in reading this .. LINK

I agree it certainly sounds like normal cat behaviour... we've been lucky and none of ours have really had much of a strong prey drive (they're too lazy, only really after toy prey!) but i've certainly seen many cats bringing in huge & varied 'gifts' for their owners (while the owners scream from on-top of the coffee table at the sight of dead rats etc...)

Hey, I would strongly advise you to find a solution for this cat. Either keep him indoors, or build him a run. Although rabbits are a feral species introduced into australia, i am afraid that is not all that he is killing. Wildlife suffers greatly from cats especially reptiles ( which i love so much) That is why if you jump on any reptile forum you will quickly pick up on their passionate dislike for cats, its because they are left to roam and give a major blow to our wildlife and protected species. Even something like killing a bluetongue is a BIG BIG no no.

Yeah I get that he is well a cat I just never had a cat the killed for fun laziness like my other 3 plays more a part in their lives. 1 of my cats tiger, always been an outside cat is now 16 yrs on the 7th of dec, he always caught snakes (red bellies) but never really anything else i used to leave him unattended with my cockateil babies that were uncaged for training, they used to attack him so he hated the sight of birds.

tucker the cat in question is a very efficient mouse catcher as well we had a mouse problem that even he couldn't curb after the QLD floods, so i got a kitten to help him who is not ready for outside yet. to many eagles about.

I know why you should have them indoors or penned. But out on my farm I have them for mouse rat problems and therefore have to be able to do that. I have native trees for native birds and never seen a feather shed, I know i risk it but with small children and dogs cats are the best snake prevention with taking away the food source.

Thanks for your responses I was only concerned with his 'fun in it' factor. I will keep taking his prizes off him before the dogs get them and make sure it isn't anything more then a pest (rabbit or mouse). If it escalates to wanted wildlife I'll pen him.

Edited by Angeluca

You may not have him doing it for much longer.

One mistake with a venomous snake & he will go missing to die slowly in agony somewhere on your farm.

Unless you discover him & are willing to pay several thousand dollars to save him ?

There are better ways of rodent control than using cats although I guess they are considered cheap & disposable & easy to source as freebies.

Desexing him & keeping him indoors with outdoor access in a safe enclosure is the caring way to be a cat owner.