Ag Shows Vs Regular Dog Club Shows

stonecutter

Hey all - I've been looking at the 2012 schedule and there are a fair few weekends where I have the choice of an Agricultural & Horticultural society show or a dog club show.

A friend who does dressage with her horses has told me to steer clear of ag shows as it brings out the crazies and she needs to watch every inch of her horses and gear like a hawk because of terrible experiences with the public.

Any pro's to going to ag shows? Usually OH & I go to shows at EP - but at an Ag show I believe he'd need to buy an entry ticket as well. I'm sure parking at Ag shows would be more difficult as well because it's not just dog exhibitors.

So I'd love to read what people think! Or if there are any ag shows that Sydney people would recommend :) (I'm happy to drive within 2.5-3 hrs of Sydney)

1+ for the ag show crazie and Yup sticky fingered too!! The plus is that so long as you have some way to secure your stuff there is generally heaps to see and do.

You often get 2 people tickets with your entries or so many per dog entry etc

Edited by Meea

Ag shows would probably make up 50% of the shows I attend. I love them - love that the general public come and watch, my kids love that they have something a little different to look at, my husband checks out the chooks etc. I'd highly recommend them.

I show cats not dogs and have found Ag shows are noisy (you need to be selective about who you will show there), generally have poor facilities and you have to watch your animals and gear very closely (we usually do a team effort so everyone has a chance to go to the loo, get a coffee etc) and keep wet ones/disinfectant wipes and paper towels handy. There are crazies but then that can happen anyway and you can also meet lovely people who genuinely want to learn about your breed and do not have a clue about other types of shows. I have had these people find me at breed shows after meeting at an ag show as they now know where to come to look at their choosen breed or look at various breeds and work out what could work for them when they are looking for that new family member.

I think on our side we don't have overally many Agi shows, the only ones I know of is Lang Lang, Bunyip, Pakenham and Berwick.

I enter them anyway, as I love any country shows, as they are relaxing, but I personally think from experience at Lang Lang and Bunyip, that the dogs section seem to be away from the public and carnival area but I am not sure about the rest.

But the main ones I show at, from doing the previous shows, that the grounds are lovely and fresh, and usually a very enjoyable day and sometimes if we have some who could keep an eye on our dogs, we just have a quick look around to see if there is anything good to buy, but a lot of times, not often! :laugh:

But they are worthwhile doing and small shows tend to be enjoyable and a relaxing affair!

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Trisven in as much as Ag Shows make up approx 50% of our shows... if it wasnt for Ag shows we would have to travel 3 or 4 hours to get to shows... I have never had anything stolen at an Ag show and have never met any crazies there either.... well not at Ag shows but I've met a few at dog shows....

I think its what you are used to.... and dont forget that in rural areas, if we get a two day weekend of showing it is generally a club show one day and an aggie the next...

Another plus for Ag shows is they are great places for socializing young dogs. I always try to take my guys through Side Show Alley to get them used to weird noises. And with my breeds we always get loads of attention from the public.

Edited by Keshwar

I looooove Ag shows!! :thumbsup: These are the only dog shows my husband will come to with me :(.

They are usually super friendly, and so far we have never had to pay extra to get in, and that with oh and 2 dd's. :thumbsup:

I did part of the central west circuit this year and the grounds of the ag shows we attended were excellent.

And no crazies sighted!! :rofl:

Ag Shows are great! Gets the dogs used to all sorts of noises. You will not often have to pay for an extra person, but with only 1 dog, only expect one gate pass, so it *could* happen if the gate people are strict.

When I was showing the Dairy goats as well as the Pugs we used to go to lots of Agi shows...I spent my time running between the goats and dog rings. :laugh: But now a lot of Agi's dont have the goats anymore...but we still do them with the Pugs. We decide at which show the kids will get their showbags and that way they dont nag at them all for one. But everyone should support their local Agi shows as they are an important part of our communities and once they are gone they will be gone forever.

I prefer regular shows. I love the general public asking questions and admiring the dogs, but I'm not a fan of the few who think it's a petting zoo.

I have a breed that people really want to touch... I don't mind if they ask first, but please don't just start rubbing your hands all over my dog, a lot of people (even some dog people) don't know that your never bend over a toy breed.

I'm not a fan of Ag shows, the dog section always seems to get shoved in some crappy spot with very limited parking.

The general public doesn't bother me so much, nor do the noise if the rides etc.

However I prefer normal shows at our main 2 grounds.