Groomin Disaster

blonde

OMG today we took our poodle to a new groomer as we moved and wanted to find someone close to us. So Anyway I spoke to the lady on the phone for 20 minutes, then both hubby and i dropped him off-standard poodle, and said we wanted to keep long socks and hair on head and tail-we explained our he had a bandadged leg at the back because the vet put it on him after an insect sting got infected, and his hair got all matted on one leg. Anyway when we pciked him up-he was completely shaven, all his long hair on his legs/feet-the socks area-i am not sure of the correct term were all gone-she said that the back legs were too matted and so we had to start all over again so she shaved them, even though i spent like 20 minutes telling her how scared i was of going to a new groomer in case they cut my dogs hair off-i have 2 cockers as well. Also i ask her just to brush out the hair on top and she trimmed it into a ball-which i know is the correct way for the 'showring look' but it wasnt what i wanted. Does anyone think she should have called me first before she shaved all my poodles legs? I was so upset..i realise it will grow back but it's not the point. I guess i should have known that if she had 20 minutes to talk to me at this time of the year perhaps she isnt very popular for a reason. Anyway i needed to vent..thanks for reading

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

OMG today we took our poodle to a new groomer as we moved and wanted to find someone close to us. So Anyway I spoke to the lady on the phone for 20 minutes, then both hubby and i dropped him off-standard poodle, and said we wanted to keep long socks and hair on head and tail-we explained our he had a bandadged leg at the back because the vet put it on him after an insect sting got infected, and his hair got all matted on one leg. Anyway when we pciked him up-he was completely shaven, all his long hair on his legs/feet-the socks area-i am not sure of the correct term were all gone-she said that the back legs were too matted and so we had to start all over again so she shaved them, even though i spent like 20 minutes telling her how scared i was of going to a new groomer in case they cut my dogs hair off-i have 2 cockers as well. Also i ask her just to brush out the hair on top and she trimmed it into a ball-which i know is the correct way for the 'showring look' but it wasnt what i wanted. Does anyone think she should have called me first before she shaved all my poodles legs? I was so upset..i realise it will grow back but it's not the point. I guess i should have known that if she had 20 minutes to talk to me at this time of the year perhaps she isnt very popular for a reason. Anyway i needed to vent..thanks for reading

something very similar happened to me last month with my dog (although not as drastic) but they cut when i said NO CUTTING!! i feel your pain right now, I had tears in my eyes when i picked my girl up and saw what she looked like!! did you say something to the groomer? she ABSOLUTELY should have called you first. unfortunately this sort of story is all too common, there seem to a few very 'clipper happy' groomers out there. in saying that there are some excellent extremely talented ones too, its like picking a human hairdresser, you've got to find one that works (even though i'm still convinced i'm grooming from home from now on :laugh: )

to add a positive note though her hair has grown out heaps almost back to what it was in a month, fingers crossed you have the same speedy luck :thumbsup:

Edited by donatella

That's not good.. It's awful when people don't listen to your instructions, and you trust these people to do as you've asked.

Make sure you let them know that they've upset you, and that you're angry (Calmly of course) and ask them what were they thinking. It's obviously not going to change what's happened, but feedback is always good, so they can -hopefully- take it on board and become a better groomer.

As with humans and dogs alike, hair does grow back! :) It's just disheartening not having a job done properly!

Having had poodles for many years I have seen many a poodle groomed. Yes the topknot (ball on top of the head) is often seen done for poodles...contrary to your opinion it was done-that is wrong but on the good side it does mimimise hair falling in front of the eyes a cause of tearing in poodles. As for the shaving back of the legs if there was a contact number Id imagine it would have been more suiting if the groomer had of called you first. Not judging you, but I have seen many a pet poodle presented with "a few matts" wanting the hair "not to be shaved". Removing matts takes alot of time and much discomfort on the dogs part..(often people would not want to pay groomers for the extra time it would take to perform this task)This may simply be a matter of lack of communication. I feel the groomer may has done what was right for the dog rather than what you wanted...personally a [phone call would have been nice) Poodle hair grows back...perhaps you should consider dematting your dog yourself? Better still daily grooming would have prevented this from occurring in the first place.....Im sure your dog is more comfortable without the matts...Im sorry you didnt get what you wanted, but only hair was lost and next time you book a groomer you may want to be more clear and discuss calling you before changing any original arrangements.

I wonder as well if sometimes the long discussions on what an owner expects in the grooming session would be better off happening with the dog present? Then at least the groomer has a chance to contribute to what they can and can't do depending on the state of the dog.

There's so many cases where groomers end up doing something not discussed (for whatever reason) and it seems it could save a lot of heartache to have the discussion with the dog present? Im sure its hard when the groomer might have a full day booked, but for the first visit it could be worth asking them to put aside some time to talk about your expectations. Hopefully your pooches are hairy again before you know it :)

I wonder as well if sometimes the long discussions on what an owner expects in the grooming session would be better off happening with the dog present? Then at least the groomer has a chance to contribute to what they can and can't do depending on the state of the dog.There's so many cases where groomers end up doing something not discussed (for whatever reason) and it seems it could save a lot of heartache to have the discussion with the dog present? Im sure its hard when the groomer might have a full day booked, but for the first visit it could be worth asking them to put aside some time to talk about your expectations. Hopefully your pooches are hairy again before you know it :)

:laugh: that doesn't always work either. You can stand there with a matted mess in front of you, that hasn't seen a brush in 12 months and they'll still insist that Poochie goes home with a "puppy cut", when the best Poochie can hope for is that a 10 goes through and you don't have to go surgical.

I'd like to know what makes owners think that a groomer can brush out, what they haven't bothered to in months. I feel sorry for the dogs and tell the owners exaclty how it's going to be, if they don;t like that, they can take their dog elsewhere.

As a poodle owner, exhibitor and groomer of long standing I would probably have done the same thing. If the dog's legs were too matted there is only one thing to be done - shave them off. However - I would have made this clear to you on drop off - unless the matts weren't obvious and you had not told me about them. I would not have phoned I just would have used my proffessional judgement and done what was in the dog's best interests even if this conflicted with your desires. Why hadn't you combed the knots out? Can't comment on the topknot - I am not a fan of poodles without some topknot as I think it really doesn't compliment their face.

As a poodle owner, exhibitor and groomer of long standing I would probably have done the same thing. If the dog's legs were too matted there is only one thing to be done - shave them off. However - I would have made this clear to you on drop off - unless the matts weren't obvious and you had not told me about them. I would not have phoned I just would have used my proffessional judgement and done what was in the dog's best interests even if this conflicted with your desires. Why hadn't you combed the knots out? Can't comment on the topknot - I am not a fan of poodles without some topknot as I think it really doesn't compliment their face.

Apparently groomers aren't allowed to use their professional judgement, we are supposed to do exactly what the owner demands, regardless of how unrealistic the expectations are or how the end result will impact on your reputation as a groomer.

I've even had owners go so far as to say, that they don't want their dog clipped, just bath it and dry it off, even though the dog has it's ears matted to it's head and you'd be lucky to get a brush through any part of it's coat.

In my experience a lot of grooming disasters are because they need to be taken right back. I had a Groodle many years ago, that I warned the owners would need to be taken right off...the reason, this dog was covered in grass seeds. Poor dog was covered in festering sores and lumps from them. They were then advised to get the dog to a vet.

It is hard to win as a Groomer, when a dog is matted you are faced with either trying to dematt (if possible) without causing the dog great discomfort, or clipping off.

Last weeks challenge was a mini that hadn't been clipped for 11 months that had a matted fleece and owner wanted it to go home with a dutch clip for xmas. Not possible, owner not happy with possibility of clip off so toddled off to find someone with poodle experience. Gotta love that.

Apparently groomers aren't allowed to use their professional judgement, we are supposed to do exactly what the owner demands, regardless of how unrealistic the expectations are or how the end result will impact on your reputation as a groomer.

I've even had owners go so far as to say, that they don't want their dog clipped, just bath it and dry it off, even though the dog has it's ears matted to it's head and you'd be lucky to get a brush through any part of it's coat.

Oh I agree Pav Lova.......many clients with dogs like that were told it was a clip off or I refused to do the dog. I would explain that I wasn't going to be responsible for their dog needing vet attention because they were left damp under the coat and it turning into a nasty infected mess.

Do you guys who are groomers have consent forms signed by owners stipulating what is wanted? And a Clause to cover the unexpected?

I worked at a clinic that did this because we got sick of the mind changers who would claim that's not what they wanted. Even though we would take the dog and client through an extensive check for mats and especially if they wanted, what they had last time.

FFS I am sitting here with my hair way shorter than the 1 inch I discussed with the hairdresser! Anyone sign a consent form at the hairdressers? You just suck it up and know that your hair will grow. And I paid a shitload more then I ever charged as a groomer. And I don't have fleas and don't bite!

Unless your dog is actually injured by the groomer stop all this whinging.

Maybe if the groomer says straight away, I am sorry but to do what you ask would distress the dog or would not be possible due to the condition of the coat then the customer could then either take the dog somewhere else or accept it.. Is that the norm? Sounds quite simple to me...

Or is the client dealing with a receptionist at drop off so the groomer doesn't see the dog on drop off?. Sorry just not getting why the client isn't told straight out what would be best for the dog or are they told but ignore it?.

Arcane, I pretty much have what you have on that sign. Mine also includes bits about making your dogs grooming experience as comfrtable as possible and basically putting the dogs needs first, in particular when it comes to brushing out matted dogs, the elderly dog or those with injuries, patella probs etc.

Couple that, with talking to the owners, you't think it would sink in but often it doesn't.

I wrote out this sign for my shop. Groomers feel free to use it in whole or part....

:laugh: I like the Flea Funeral.

guess i should have known that if she had 20 minutes to talk to me at this time of the year perhaps she isnt very popular for a reason.

Excuse me, however I will frequently spend lengthy periods on the phone for high maintenance clients and I am good at my job. In fact, a lot of my business is because I have a good phone manner despite how busy I am. Don't make rude assumptions, brush your dog and it won't be a problem in the future.

I understand that there are some terrible groomers out there but some comments I see on here are just unreasonable. You wouldn't go to a hairdresser with a tangled matt of hair so why expect to be able to do the same with a dog when we get paid a quarter of the amount, get shat on, fleas, worms dropping on our hands, put up with biting and people making unreasonable requests which would require hurting their dog.