Breed Query

Talien

Talien I highly recommend you find some nice Bull Terrier breeders around your area and go and meet them - start with them first and then, once you're comfortable with them, move on to another breed.

I know EXACTLY how you feel as I also have the same irrational fear of certain breeds - well to me it is rational in that I've had bad experiences with dogs of that breed before, buts it irrational because I KNOW that there are many good examples of the breed. I used to be quite frightened of GSDs but Tibbiemax on here has the most STUPID GSD you've ever met - Crazy Elka. Its completely 100% impossible to be frightened of Elka as she is just so dopey.

Yes! Gah I've been kept away from bully breeds my entire life (had a viscious one next door as a child which was pts for mauling someone), so when I see most kinds of bully breeds I physically freak out. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have the personality of teddy bears (sometimes cuter!), but I can't help my aversion. I want it to stop as I've only been bitten by a GSD (which was my own fault).

I'm terrified of bull terriers, pit bulls, GSD's to an extent though it hurts because I love them too! And greyhounds. And the only semi-even passable rational ones are the pit bull (but only that ONE pit bull, not all) and the GSD (again only that one) but they've clouded my emotions when I am around them and I don't like it :*(

ETA: Oh! I didn't know it had a name, awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

I have to ask how can you be terrified of Bull Terriers, yet not know that is what the dog was??

She said that she was terrified of "white bully breeds" not necessarily only the Bull Terrier. I'd hazard a guess she'd react the same way to white Staffy's and Amstaffs. ;)

Yes! Gah I've been kept away from bully breeds my entire life (had a viscious one next door as a child which was pts for mauling someone), so when I see most kinds of bully breeds I physically freak out. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous ones that have the personality of teddy bears (sometimes cuter!), but I can't help my aversion. I want it to stop as I've only been bitten by a GSD (which was my own fault).

I'm terrified of bull terriers, pit bulls, GSD's to an extent though it hurts because I love them too! And greyhounds. And the only semi-even passable rational ones are the pit bull (but only that ONE pit bull, not all) and the GSD (again only that one) but they've clouded my emotions when I am around them and I don't like it :*(

ETA: Oh! I didn't know it had a name, awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

I have to ask how can you be terrified of Bull Terriers, yet not know that is what the dog was??

She said that she was terrified of "white bully breeds" not necessarily only the Bull Terrier. I'd hazard a guess she'd react the same way to white Staffy's and Amstaffs. ;)

I used to always be scared of bullys .. I guess as they were portrayed back then as 'bikie' dogs/tough, fighting dogs....and so many were, back 40/50 years ago!

When I worked at the vet's however, they were my preferred patients!! Calm and stoic and ever so friendly :)

I had a fear of Bull Terriers after one attacked my dog when I was 18. A few years later I started having to wash one at work, so I quickly had to overcome that fear. Now they dont bother me much, though I dont see many nowdays.

To be honest as cute as the pictures are they do make me uncomfortable an if I was in the same room I would feel ill, even though I know he/she is busy chillaxing... And yes white with pink noses/lips and even with black.

With greyhounds I don't know why I've never had a bad experience with them or anything even like them, it's odd. The feeling isn't as intense with greyhounds though.

It's up to me to change my physical feelings about these breeds and I'm working on it but it is hard to know where to go to meet dogs of these breeds that people will be willing to let me pat/get licked.

There's a lot of greyhound people up there so tagging along at a hound meet should be easy enough.

Might even be some with roman noses. they're really striking.

Muzzled, ripped dogs in muscle vests probably are a little intimidating but that's really not the best representation of how they are.

This is probably more accurate.. they're just dogs. They can run a bit faster than most other breeds but they'll still eat crap out of the bin, leave noseprints on your windows and sometimes vomit up grass in your hallway. The dog below, Doug, actually thinks he's a labrador- anything that isn't nailed down, he'll try to eat (learned the hard way to keep the sponge mop in the linen cupboard :rolleyes: ).

Doug2.jpg

(Excuse the kennel coat and calloused elbows, photo was taken when he'd just arrived)

It's really interesting to me because growing up I really didn't have much to do with dogs. Neither side of my family had dogs or was interested in them but there was no fear of any particular dog or breed either. I do remember loose dogs on the play ground at school and others being scared of them but they were always sort of just there for me... However somehow the image of a Bull Terrier was in my head as vaguely scary... I couldn't tell you why but maybe it was their image at the time (mid-late 80s?)

Now that I am much more involved with dogs I have met a number of Bull Terriers of various ages and seriously never seen anything but great behavior. I've also met several pit bulls or crosses (being in the ACT) and the only problematic one was a very young pup, who I suspect was less then 8 weeks when the breeder sent him home, maybe 10 weeks when I met him, and was the first ever dog of his "mum" owner. The only prob was inappropriate biting of other dogs (not a huge drama in a baby but a future major concern!)

In my experience most dogs are decent, our job as owners of our own dogs is to train and control our own dogs, be as aware of dog behavior and body language as we can, treat them all as dogs not babies (no matter what size and even when they're puppies) and then relax and enjoy!!

See, that simple ;) (kidding, obviously it's not always easy!)

ETA - Greyhounds = pat moochers to the extreme!! And that's about all I've seen from them :)

Edited by Saxonpup

Hahah this reminds me of the time the media put up a picture of a BT and called it an APBT... i was like :eek: ....

People will phycially jump off the pathway and onto the road when they see Nala(APBT) coming.... its really, really sad because she is the most beautiful dog I have ever met...my OH gets very hurt by it... imagine if people started almost running the oposite direction if they saw your lab.. and all because Media gave it a bad name? I can understant your situation since you have had a traumatic experience and I find it great your trying to over come your fears

Edited by GussysMum