Still Do Not Understand Crates :(

jebee

Can I add another question as well - I'm new to crates too :)

Just wondering what's preferable to do when leaving the puppy/dog for long periods of time. Next year when I'm at work & the kids are back at school I'll have to leave the pup for around 7 hours. I'm thinking that its too long to crate her for... I was intending on putting her in the laundry with the crate foor open & from there have a doggy door where she will have access to a sectioned off area outside.

Does this sound ok?

Great question I just had a lightbulb moment :-) I now know what I will do when I go back to work, just need to get a large baby play pen then my guy can be inside safe, much bigger area than what I was thinking I think..

If you are going to use a baby play pen, be careful that the puppy can't get his head stuck in the bars. You can get wire compost panels from Bunnings which make a safer play pen,

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! And another question. What crate size would be suitable for dalmatian? Someone suggested 42"... Really? Saw 42" crate in a pet shop and it looks HUGE.

yeah my 42 inch crate is big enough to out matians in it....

i have a smaller one and they fight if you put them in together....

we put 2x dals

2x jrt, foxies in the 42 inch crate when we go away in the caravan... it fits on the floor in the table space when folded. they are only crated for sleeping then and keep them out while we have dinner!

at home i have the large crate in the lounge... they all take turns and then if someone is sick well they draw the short straw and live in it.

we don't have a dog bed... oh well in the dogs eyes we do... its call the couch... often the humans sit on the floor so the hot digity doggies can sit on the couch! :thumbsup::rofl:

a crate is a very handy thing and there is not really a hard and fast rule... really its more about what fits in your life more than any thing.

What crate size would be suitable for dalmatian?

one that's long enough for an adult dog to stretch out fully and sleep on their side..legs not curled up... without touching wire.

one that's high enough for an adult dog to sit up straight without head touching teh top

:) Yes, a big crate.

Oh! And another question. What crate size would be suitable for dalmatian? Someone suggested 42"... Really? Saw 42" crate in a pet shop and it looks HUGE.

I agree they are huge! Dalmations are pretty tall though and when you dog is fully grown you want your dog to be able to sit without hitting its head.

I have heard some people put a divider in while your pup is small. You do not want you pup to have too much extra space as sometime this results in them toileting in the crate. I did not use a divider, but I did fill the space with blankets and a large stuffed toy to make if very cosy.

FYI - buy your crate online as they are about half the price than a petstore. I got my wire crates online for about $100 each.

I was like you and did not really see the benefit of crate training. I am totally convereted! It is the best thing ever! Fantastic to help with tiolet training.

I highly recommend Susan Garrett's DVD 'Crate Games'. It provided training to so you pup will love the crate. Her method really does work!

My pup is now 10 months and she does not spend much time in her crate any more. However it is a life long thing and it means that you will be able to take you puppy/dog places with you for day trips and overnight and will be able to put you dog in their crate and know they will not stress. I find that whee we are away from home my dogs are far more relaxed when they are in their crate. When I put the crate up they are so eager to get in - it is their safe place where they can relax.

The dog needs to be able to fully stand up and turn around in it. My crates are huuuuuge and I have mini schnauzers!

My last puppy had the crate to sleep in during the day, we propped the door open so he could go in and out as he wanted. No way I would crate a puppy for 7 hours. I wouldn't crate any dog for that long unless it was overnight.

I have to agree here, I couldn't imagine crating a puppy/dog for that long!

Can the puppy go outside when you're gone for that long? Or be in a laundry or similar area?

To each their own.

I'm quite comfortable crating dogs for that length of time if I can't avoid it. I don't do it as a matter of course, but I know people who do - especially in summer with dogs who are prone to self harm in storms.

Just out of curiousity, why do you see a difference between crating a dog over night and crating them during the day?

The person didn't say they'd crate the dog for 7 hours? They said the crate door would be open and the pup would have the laundry and outside area.

Agility Dogs - if someone is crating during the day, they're often crating at night too = dog spends most of it's life in the crate (if someone works 8 hours a day and travels to/from work, their estimate is often 8 hours but the dog spends 10 hours there).

Also, you do waaaaaaay more with your dogs than a "normal" person, so they are getting far more physical and mental exercise than most dogs.

There is no right or correct answer to your questions really. Its an individual thing & there was life without crates.

Use your common sense & don't do what everyone else does.

Do what you personally feel comfortable with.

For me as a breeder & a multi dog household I use crates & pens at times for safety & for baby puppies, mine are a very tiny breed. Huge pens & large size dog crates joined up together. I could not confine an animal for long in a small crate & do not believe it is beneficial unless it is sick or injured & has to be still or constant temperature etc. I think toilet training using a crate the animal can't move in except to turn/stand is awful.

Your dog is part of your family. Treat it like one, tell it off when needed, be firm & consistent with your rules, share your bed unless it makes you ill & your dog should become a sociable & obedient companion.

A crate does not do magic things & many people misuse them because its easy.

However if you show or breed its best it does get used to a crate as it has to really.

For a male Dally a 42" would be about right. Some females would probably fit in a 36" but dogs can be a lot bigger. A male Dally can be up to 24" to the withers, then you have the head and neck above that so they are a pretty big dog. A 36" crate is only 24" high so way too small for a dog that big. Next size up is a 42" that is about 32" tall.

The person didn't say they'd crate the dog for 7 hours? They said the crate door would be open and the pup would have the laundry and outside area..

Thanks Megan :)

Christina thank you too.. You're right I'll stick with the plan & do what I think is best which is what I've outlined :)

Sorry jeebee for hijacking your thread!

Molly is my first dog I ever crate trained and I would never not from now on. Cooper sleeps in a crate next to my bed at night and if I take Molly out (beach/walk whatever) or I have to pop to the supermarket in he goes. I have a 42 crate for Molly (and she is on the small size of the standard for GSD) but she is never really in it now.

I think for puppies anyway it is such a good idea. Even though I've puppy proofed as much as possible there is still so much harm he could get into. I guess I am lucky as I am home 24/7 so he isn't in it that much.

I have 3 crates and all my dogs are trained to go into them but these days the crates are folded away and almost never used. I wont be getting rid of them though. If one of my dogs were injured I might need to crate it. Occasionally I might need one if the dogs fight. I used to use them alot if I took the dogs to a show or to the races. I find them invaluable to have but I almost never need them now. A good tool to have.

No way I would crate a puppy for 7 hours. I wouldn't crate any dog for that long unless it was overnight.

Me either! My Pug is crated at night to stop him toileting all through the house. If he was crated for 7 hours during the day and then 9 hours at night, that is way too much. That's being crated for the larger portion of his life.

I find crates great for toilet training and for giving chew treats if you have multiple dogs. I have one in the study which I use when we have visitors and the Pug sleeps in one in my bedroom. I have to be sure the doors are closed when not in use though as my Stafford loves crates so much she guards them from the other dogs which causes problems.

I had never heard of crates until I joined DOL 3 or so years ago and now I think they are great.

However I had showed and my dogs where used to the show trolley so I used to bring that in if I needed to contain them. So crate by default.

I also used a puppy pen for pups and kittens so again crate by default.

I have a question about crate training. How do you go about getting your dog to accept the crate when other people are around and there's lots of activity?

We only really have ours so we can pop Boston in there occasionally but he accepts it fine when it's just my partner and I. We try to keep it a fun place so I give him heaps of treats whenever he's in there.

I wouldn't say he loves it, as in, he doesn't often go in there to sleep of his own accord but he hides all his toys in there and he'll run in there to hide if he doesn't want to do something :laugh:

However, he still cries a bit if we have people over and he has to go in there. For example, last night my two nephews were over and the 1 yr old chucks a tanty if the dog goes near him so we kept him in the crate for a bit (the dog, not the nephew, that is). He's fine for the most part, but towards the end he started to cry in there.

I just ignore it and tell everyone to pretend it's not happening. Then when he's quiet, I give him a treat.

Is this the right thing to do? I really don't want him to think it's a punishment cage but it's so sad when he's crying his head off!

I've never really trained a dog to use a crate but they all accept them happily at shows and events. Ripely came to us trained to sleep the night in a crate and he puts himself in it when I tell hIm it's bedtime. The other dogs sleep on beds in our room, not in crates though.

I can see the value of dogs sleeping in crates, or being crated for short periods to keep them out of harms way. But to lock a dog in a crate all day, then all night is, in my opinion, quite cruel. But your mileage and opinion may vary.

For example, last night my two nephews were over and the 1 yr old chucks a tanty if the dog goes near him so we kept him in the crate for a bit (the dog, not the nephew, that is). He's fine for the most part, but towards the end he started to cry in there.

I would be tempted to stick the 1 year old in there :laugh:

Only thing I can think of is to put your dog in another room or outside if possible when the nephews are visiting.

Then he won't feel its a punishment. Shame to have to crate the dog if he is sociable & enjoying visitors.

I have a question about crate training. How do you go about getting your dog to accept the crate when other people are around and there's lots of activity?

We only really have ours so we can pop Boston in there occasionally but he accepts it fine when it's just my partner and I. We try to keep it a fun place so I give him heaps of treats whenever he's in there.

I wouldn't say he loves it, as in, he doesn't often go in there to sleep of his own accord but he hides all his toys in there and he'll run in there to hide if he doesn't want to do something :laugh:

However, he still cries a bit if we have people over and he has to go in there. For example, last night my two nephews were over and the 1 yr old chucks a tanty if the dog goes near him so we kept him in the crate for a bit (the dog, not the nephew, that is). He's fine for the most part, but towards the end he started to cry in there.

I just ignore it and tell everyone to pretend it's not happening. Then when he's quiet, I give him a treat. Is this the right thing to do? I really don't want him to think it's a punishment cage but it's so sad when he's crying his head off!

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I also go for bribes!!! The general idea is that the dog thinks the crate is a better place to be. If you are going to continue putting your dog in the crate when people are over (which I think is great for young children or non dog people) I would regulary put your dog in the crate for periods when you are home so your dog gets use to spending time in there.

If you want to work on your dogs crate training get Susan Garrets DVD Crate Games which is about building value. Is not too expensive and worth every cent!

We did intensive crate training for a few months when Wilbur came to us at 8 weeks. Even now at 6 months when Wilbur gets out of his crate i throw in a couple of treats so that the next time he comes into the house he heads straight for his crate knowing there's a few treats in there for him. Occasionally i forget to put a treat and he just goes straight in looking for treats. If there's lots of activity, i make sure his crate is out of the way so he can be less distracted. That way he'll settle quickly.