Rescue Lumping Breederswith Byb And Pet Shops

Kavik

The only people I've come across that don't get it are here in this thread. In 40yrs of dogs it has never before been raised.

I agree Crisovar, personally I find the term 'furbaby' far more offensive than 'pet quality'.

personally i find it hilarious.

set a litter loose. let the family who "nly want a pet" take their pick, so who do they unerringly point too?

your favourite in the entire litter.....every single time.

who says Pets are lesser dogs?

I sure dont.

in the case of the toy breeds in particular. for goodness sake thats what they are AND WERE bred for IN THE FIRST PLACE. P E T S..... :rofl:

The show scene is a new additon to the landscape in the real time frame sceme of things.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people I've come across that don't get it are here in this thread. In 40yrs of dogs it has never before been raised.

I agree Crisovar, personally I find the term 'furbaby' far more offensive than 'pet quality'.

set a litter loose. let the family who "nly want a pet" take their pick, so who do they unerringly point too?

I don't allow buyers to select their own puppy, I always decide which puppy is the most suitable for each family and anyone who comments on my 'furbabies' earns my instant disapproval :laugh:

I don't allow buyers to select their own puppy, I always decide which puppy is the most suitable for each family and anyone who comments on my 'furbabies' earns my instant disapproval :laugh:

excellent way to decide on which one the breeder should keep though if any doubts which one :) instead of eeny, meenie, miny, moe.

learnt very quickly.. never leave the one you intend to keep anywhere it can be spotted.

learnt very quickly.. never leave the one you intend to keep anywhere it can be spotted.

Oh that's no problem, I keep the ordinary pups in the old run nearest the house so they're the ones the buyers see as soon as they enter the back gate and the show/breeding pups are in my new puppy complex hidden away at the end of the yard. If they happen to notice the pups I'm running on I just tell them that they're the best ones and aren't for sale and that all the pet quality pups are up near the house. Works well for me :)

Oh that's no problem, I keep the ordinary pups in the old run nearest the house so they're the ones the buyers see as soon as they enter the back gate and the show/breeding pups are in my new puppy complex hidden away at the end of the yard. If they happen to notice the pups I'm running on I just tell them that they're the best ones and aren't for sale and that all the pet quality pups are up near the house. Works well for me :)

Now I am imagining puppies with the letter P clippered onto their forehead like A's were on adulters :laugh:

I thought limited and mains registrations also helped, I know that many limited pups are show quality but those that buy them are buying a pet rather than a show dog

I won't use limit register again. I did for a couple of pups in my last litter and it was more trouble than it was worth. One went overseas to a world beating, better than could be dreamed up pet home - not all countries have people breeding our breed and we have good healthy hounds here and no rabies. So sometimes overseas folks will look to Oz for pets for good reason.

Paperwork was ridiculous. If he had been on full register it would've been easy.

Now I am imagining puppies with the letter P clippered onto their forehead like A's were on adulters :laugh:

Just having a bit of a stir :laugh:

In every business I have been involved in we had focus groups where we canvassed the consumers to get their views of our product and whether our marketing campaign was getting the message we wanted across.

We would have been very foolish indeed to just use our ideas and spend millions on advertising if it was not going to get our message across to the right market segment.

Like it or not, consumers are quite sophisticated when they are purchasing anything and I think registered breeders should pay heed to feedback about how their product is perceived, especially when there is growing opposition to that product.

Most companies now have changed how they operate and what core messages they have because times are changing and if they want to remain relevant and profitable then they need to change to meet market expectations. If they don't they will lose profitability and market share and eventually they won't exist.

A great post that explains the issue very well.

To be honest, I can't fathom why it is so offensive to some in this thread. :confused: Should nothing ever change in the world of breeding? Is breeding dogs so perfect that nothing should ever be considered or even discussed lest it upset some? To be fair, I can understand that some think they are forever under attack regardless of what they do though but the reactions in this thread work against them and simply reinforce poor perceptions.

Although I agree with the sentiment you have expressed about the term 'furbaby', the term 'pet quality' isn't offensive, but it may be sending a negative message about the product (in this case a puppy). Whereas the term 'furbaby' gives another message all together in my view.

In every business I have been involved in we had focus groups where we canvassed the consumers to get their views of our product and whether our marketing campaign was getting the message we wanted across.

We would have been very foolish indeed to just use our ideas and spend millions on advertising if it was not going to get our message across to the right market segment.

Like it or not, consumers are quite sophisticated when they are purchasing anything and I think registered breeders should pay heed to feedback about how their product is perceived, especially when there is growing opposition to that product.

Most companies now have changed how they operate and what core messages they have because times are changing and if they want to remain relevant and profitable then they need to change to meet market expectations. If they don't they will lose profitability and market share and eventually they won't exist.

To be honest, I can't fathom why it is so offensive to some in this thread. :confused: Should nothing ever change in the world of breeding? Is breeding dogs so perfect that nothing should ever be considered or even discussed lest it upset some? To be fair, I can understand that some think they are forever under attack regardless of what they do though but the reactions in this thread work against them and simply reinforce poor perceptions.

Although I agree with the sentiment you have expressed about the term 'furbaby', the term 'pet quality' isn't offensive, but it may be sending a negative message about the product (in this case a puppy). Whereas the term 'furbaby' gives another message all together in my view.

Until this thread I have never been aware of any need to change the description of a pet quality pup.

Resistant to change? well when it is change simply for the sake of appeasing the sensibilities of a couple of people on an internet forum, then yes.

My pups are not a product and I have never found any need to market them. Happy, healthy typical pet pups in loving appreciative homes do that for me.

Change for the sake of change :shrug:

Until this thread I have never been aware of any need to change the description of a pet quality pup.

Resistant to change? well when it is change simply for the sake of appeasing the sensibilities of a couple of people on an internet forum, then yes.

My pups are not a product and I have never found any need to market them. Happy, healthy typical pet pups in loving appreciative homes do that for me.

Change for the sake of change :shrug:

No not change for changes sake. Change because the environment is changing. I think a more strategic look at the environment rather than a personal one might mean breeders start to work together and push the animal rights agenda back.

There are many more offensive terms than "pet quality"... personally I could care less what people describe their pups as - I'm up for loving them all... *grin*

T.

Thats really the whole point though isn't it even though logically we should care less what people refer to their pups are we will still stick to what we have been doing and resist change because we do care more about what we call em.

Go figure.

Hi all, just wanted to add the perspective of a "member of the public" - i.e., I've never been involved in showing or breeding dogs, and know nothing about it.

When I see an ad saying that "we sometimes have pet-quality pups available", I think "Oh good, I'm allowed to contact them if I would like a pup." In other words, I don't think of "pet quality" as a derogatory term. I think of it as descriptive, rather than evaluative.

My very basic understanding is that dogs that are perfect examples of a standard (in terms of appearance, temperament etc) will be used in breeding and showing. Other dogs will be pet quality. It doesn't mean that they're not good dogs. It means that the markings or colourings or the way the ears point etc is not what is specified in the standard.

So, basically, I am not at all concerned about the use of the term "pet quality". I don't find it offensive. In advertisements, I see it as an indication that I (a non-breeder etc) am welcome to enquire about a pup.

(Not having a go at anyone who is offended by the term - just adding my perspective.)

I think Kitt's post is very relevant and one that has been largely ignored in this thread.

Crisovar, this is an internet discussion. That's all. No-one here is able to change anything as individuals.

There have been some fabulous and relevant points made about image that are certainly worthwhile looking at.

Change for change sake or resistance for resistance sake? Sounds the same really, doesn't it.

Edited by ~Anne~

I think Kitt's post is very relevant.

Thanks Rebelsquest. As I said, I'm not having a go at anyone who is offended by the term, but I just thought some of the breeders and / or show people might be interested in the perspective of someone who isn't involved in the dog world in terms of showing and breeding.

Sure, I can see that some people would be offended if they have come to associate "pet quality" with a snobbish or derogatory attitude. Perhaps I'm lucky that my only exposure to the term has been on DOL forums and on the DOL "pups available" page. In no instance in those two places have I found any reason to feel that "pet quality" is an insult.

But I have to assume that some people have had different experiences. Maybe some people who have had greater experience with the dog world have come across the term being used in a derogatory manner.

With that in mind, sure, some breeders might decide to use a different term to describe pet-quality pups. I suppose that, as has been mentioned, it could be viewed as a "business" decision (using that term lightly, because I know some breeders prefer not to view their pups as "products" and their breeding program as a "business" - fair enough). As I was saying... some breeders might view it as a "business" decision to use a different term, in the knowledge that some potential buyers would be put off by the term.

Equally, though, some breeders might not want to change the terminology to suit buyers. And, in my opinion, that's fine too (not that I'm assuming a position of being able to "approve" any breeder's decision; again, I'm simply providing the perspective of one non-show / non-breeder person).

Wow... I do tend to ramble. In sum (I'll use dot points to try to reduce rambling):

1. Some people are offended by the term "pet quality", perhaps because they've been unlucky enough to have encountered it being used as an insult.

2. I am not bothered by the term. I see it as a statement that I'm "allowed" to contact a breeder. I actually find it quite welcoming. I think "Oh good, this breeder is happy to be contacted by people who don't want a show dog."

3. I can understand that, in light of the fact that some potential pup buyers find the term offensive, some breeders might choose to use a different term or to provide a brief explanation of the term.

4. I can understand that some breeders might not want to change their terminology.

And it's ok Rebelsquest, I'm used to being ignored.

That was a joke.

but this isnt about personally - personally I'm not offended and I couldn't care less but if some people feel its better left out why cant we just listen and consider not doing it?

Considering some people find the term furbaby offensive I wont use that either though I've never used either of them and Ive never heard anyone in 40 years raise that one either.

Quality pets sounds good to me.

Edited by Steve