Dog Bite Wounds And Scabs And Scars On Humans

Katdogs

Almost 18 months ago I was bitten by a SWF with manky teeth and had to have antibiotics. Multiple deep punctures (from just one snap!) and it !@#$ hurt! I still have a lump on my wrist from that bite.

Stupidly I picked up an old sleeping dog (much cleaner teeth, and I thought he was awake) a few weeks ago and he got me on the face. It was more of a scrape than a puncture, so I betadined and put up with it, but again I still have a lump there. It had healed over completely and the lump was getting smaller, with application of Vitamin E oil. However, this week it's come up as a weepy sore with a head on it, like a pimple!

Any tips for dealing with dog bites and scars - apart from being smarter and/or moving faster?

Hmm - Ive had many bites and scratches over the years and still have many scars from them. But only had to deal with one small infection. I may have been extremely lucky or you may need to give your immune system a kick up the backside.

I tend to keep up with the betadine and cleaning until its fully healed and unless it is actually bleeding or going to get really messy (in the garden or cooking) I don't cover it. If I do need to then I try to uncover it as soon as possible. My doctor gave me the same advice when I tried to amputate my thumb.

If its hot or throbbing then its infected and probably too late for betadine. Worth going to a doctor to get some antibiotics. Ive heard of people needing hospitalisation for bites and scratches so take it seriously and deal with it sooner rather than later.

Guest donatella

I see lots of dog bites come through our ward (but mainly bigger, deeper, infected bites once hospital admitted). However doctors like to keep clean with saline solution 4 times a day and a dry dressing on top for protection.

If it's at all feeling hot in the area or pus-ey it could be infected and may need antibiotics.

It's not hot in the area at all, and the weep is clear. It really does feel like an itchy pimple.

Strong antibiotics don't suit me - some icky side-effects - I'd have to have lots of puff and pus and purple to use them again :eek:

I was just wondering how other people treat their bites, and if there's anything else I should have done rather than betadine, or if there's better scar treatment.

That reminds me of a customer who came into our shop (a few years back), he parked his ute out the front and he had a wolfie x in the tray, she barked, so he punched her a couple of times on the head, and I didn't say anything! I did think evil thoughts and less than a week later his backhoe rolled on him and killed him, I was pretty happy about that.

I did think evil thoughts and less than a week later his backhoe rolled on him and killed him, I was pretty happy about that.

Awesome. How passive aggressive are you! Someone got killed so you were happy? Dear god.

katdogs, best to see your GP.

Paraderm Plus Cream is fantastic - it is an Antiseptic, Anaesthetic and Anti-inflammatory soothing cream. Can be used for cuts, bites, stings, itches, sunburn and minor burns ... I use it on all my doggy bites (accidental contact when playing).

I get minor nips and scratches all the time and never really thought to 'use' anything on them lol. I just get back to having my hands in putrid doggy bath water and bits of clipped off hair stuck in them, and never had a problem. When I get hair splinters in & around my nails Hydrogen Peroxide is my best friend.

OH had a red itchy lump thingy on his elbow (not from a dog bite) but it was there for weeks and he kept complaining about it. (as men do :laugh: ), anyways he put some pawpaw ointment on it and within a week it was barely visible and had just about gone. It healed up lovely.

I also use it for my zinc deficient sibe. For his dry pads, dry skin on his nose and for the hot-spot type rashes he had under the creases of his back legs. The difference it has made is incredible. I tried powder and antiseptic cream for the rashes in his leg creases but nothing worked. After applying the paw paw cream once a day, it started to heal and is almost gone altogether now. :thumbsup: (the rash under one leg was approx 15cm in diameter, the other about 5cm :( ) not anymore. :)

A fellow DOLer (Marion01) recommended it to me and now I swear by it. You should be able to get it from your local chemist. It's in a red tube and is called Lucas' pawpaw ointment. :)

I did think evil thoughts and less than a week later his backhoe rolled on him and killed him, I was pretty happy about that.

Awesome. How passive aggressive are you! Someone got killed so you were happy? Dear god.

katdogs, best to see your GP.

also happy he is no longer with us as he lived with his granny and beat her up also, not passive/agressive, I just wait for his well deserved karma comeuppence to kick-in

Edited by Boronia

It's not hot in the area at all, and the weep is clear. It really does feel like an itchy pimple.

Strong antibiotics don't suit me - some icky side-effects - I'd have to have lots of puff and pus and purple to use them again :eek:

I was just wondering how other people treat their bites, and if there's anything else I should have done rather than betadine, or if there's better scar treatment.

For all bites and punctures or wounds that do not need stitching use Ichthammol Ointment from the chemist. It will prevent or draw out infection so you don't need ABs. Our family has used it for well over 50 years and it always works. You can use it on humans, dogs, cats and horses. I don't know how anyone lives without it.

That reminds me of a customer who came into our shop (a few years back), he parked his ute out the front and he had a wolfie x in the tray, she barked, so he punched her a couple of times on the head, and I didn't say anything! I did think evil thoughts and less than a week later his backhoe rolled on him and killed him, I was pretty happy about that.

I'm actually pretty disgusted that you didn't say anything and didn't report him to the RSPCA.

I guess nowadays you need to be careful, it could of been Boronia that had their head punched in frown.gif. He sounds like he had anger issues beating up his mother ( was it mother or partner ?) at home also ... Prob should have written down the number plate and reported it at least..

Nurse Jodie did her best on the night it happened and Stevie cleaned up my tears! Even a little bite #%^** hurts and it had been a very bad day!

I might try some of the Ichthammol ointment, and keep going with the vitamin E oil - the pharmacist said to use it for six months. I'm a wimp so I'm not sure about bubbling H.peroxide!

I can't imagine how much a serious big bite would hurt. And why is it SWFs I'm trying to help are the only dogs to try?

I would steer clear of peroxide. Bites can take a long time to heal, new skin can take a while to feel normal again.

I have a huge lump of scar tissue on my left thigh from a bite 20yrs ago. It is lumpy & can be sensitive or feel "yuccky" if I lean on it.

Its not the puncturing of the teeth that hurts as much......its the crushing power in the dogs jaws that causes the most tramua, speaking from my own exp.

I swear there is something in Zeddy's saliva (other than the remnants of the poopies she eats) that has healing properties - Trouble's licks don't work, nor do Pickles'... I think it's the Rotti in her that gives her the healing licks - there is something different about Rotti saliva...

T.