Wow This Is Scary

~Midniara~

600km! We've lived with it in the UK only 34km away in France for years and not been inundated with it yet :laugh: Animals are not routinely vaccinated against rabies in the UK either, only if they are travelling.

Not wishing to make light of it though as it is a scary disease! I remember a tv film as a kid about a rabid fox getting into the UK and the spread of rabies, it scared the bejesus out of me, it was in the same vien as the nuclear bomb films :laugh:

Oh no, we already have enough mad dogs & people here already.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Our security & customs do a wonderful job keeping us all safe & disease free here, especially considering what some idiots try & sneak in according to that TV programme.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Our security & customs do a wonderful job keeping us all safe & disease free here, especially considering what some idiots try & sneak in according to that TV programme.

Particularly after they got so soundly told off after allowing Equine Influenza to get into the country in 2007 due to slack quarantine practises...

It's amazing ...

Until recently (December 2011), Malaysia had an outright ban on dogs from Australia.

To go to China today, dogs from Australia must be quarantined in Australia for 28days.

Australia, disease free?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/cats-can-transmit-deadly-hendra-virus-chief-vet-20120107-1pp4z.html

Edited by lilli

Rabies has now been reported 600km away from Australia in an Indonesian Island. :eek:

Heres the link to the Audio story: Rabies

Well that is very clever for Australia to get you to look outward for a source of fear (and infection) ...

Hmm it was only last week that another hush hush hendra outbreak occured in QLD.

Hendra is carried by bats too.

But let's blame rabies.

And rabies from another country!

Quick let's increase our quarantine and reduce our liberties to protect ourselves!

It's amazing ...

Until recently (December 2011), Malaysia had an outright ban on dogs from Australia.

To go to China today, dogs from Australia must be quarantined in Australia for 28days.

Australia, disease free?

http://www.brisbanet...0107-1pp4z.html

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!? Malaysia hasn't had a ban on dogs from Australia!

And there is no quarantine in Australia for dogs going to China if they are travelling accompanied (ie one pet per passenger) - the criteria you speak of is for commercial shipments and very rarely done as there is too many hoops to jump through.

It's amazing ...

Australia, disease free?

http://www.brisbanet...0107-1pp4z.html

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!? Malaysia hasn't had a ban on dogs from Australia!

And there is no quarantine in Australia for dogs going to China if they are travelling accompanied (ie one pet per passenger) - the criteria you speak of is for commercial shipments and very rarely done as there is too many hoops to jump through.

Yes Malaysia has had a ban on ALL dogs from Australia.

PNG also:

This is to inform all importers, transportation agents, forwarding agents and other relevant stakeholders that a temporary ban is hereby instituted on imports of live cats and dogs from Australia into Papua New Guinea due to the Hendra virus outbreak in parts of Queensland and New South Wales, and the detection of evidence of infection in a pet dog on an infected horse farm on Wednesday 27 July 2011.

This is the first time that a dog has been infected (outside of the laboratory environment). It is unknown as to how significant this evidence of exposure/infection with Hendra Virus in dogs is as far as public health is concerned.

As a precautionary measure, NAQIA will not process any further permit for importation of live dogs and cats from Australia. This status will remain until further notice.

NAQIA is currently communicating with Australian biosecurity and quarantine authorities to ascertain further information. NAQIA will further assess the situation and advise importers and stakeholders accordingly

http://www.naqia.gov.pg/News/New%20diseases.html

Edited by lilli

One of the biggest risks is illegal landings by small boats (eg fishermen) from the islands. The coastline is too large and the border patrol resources are too small to cover everywhere. Shore camps of Indonesian fishermen are found fairly regularly. These people often bring animals with them as a fresh meat supply. Farmers have been worried about this for years, with respect to introduction of things like Foot & Mouth disease and Avian influenza. The govt maintains "sentinel stations" in various locations in the NT in an attempt to provide early warning of the introduction of exotic diseases.

600km! We've lived with it in the UK only 34km away in France for years and not been inundated with it yet :laugh: Animals are not routinely vaccinated against rabies in the UK either, only if they are travelling.

Not wishing to make light of it though as it is a scary disease! I remember a tv film as a kid about a rabid fox getting into the UK and the spread of rabies, it scared the bejesus out of me, it was in the same vien as the nuclear bomb films :laugh:

But the UK and France are not known for large bats that can fly long distances. And, so far as I know, there are no islands between the UK and France. Also, the French are more effective in controlling rabies than poorer areas of the world.

Rabies isn't a huge concern for the dogs. Vaccinations are easy, effective, and not that expensive. But the native mammals would not fare so well.

Edited by sandgrubber