If Your Dog Bit Your Face

HugUrPup

Maybe the owners could use a muzzle on the dog when the children are out of site with it, they use them on greyhounds so why not any other dog that could bite.

they are not used on greyhounds cause they bite people

Maybe the owners could use a muzzle on the dog when the children are out of site with it, they use them on greyhounds so why not any other dog that could bite.

Agreed! Greyhounds are such gorgeous animals - such a misconception about them though :(

Sorry I should have explained myself better, and I do love greyhounds,and know they are a gentle dog by nature, what I should have said was, they muzzle greyhounds, and they don't bite for no reason so why not muzzle a dog that does bite, I don't understand why they have to muzzle greyhounds at all anyway.

I believe that greyhounds are muzzled because they chase lures and could well mistake a small dog or cat in public for same. Many years ago, when I was a child, we owned a pekinese and a fellow up the road had a racing greyhound and walked it unmuzzled. That same greyhound took to our peke ad almost killed him. Not the greyhound's fault, but definately the fault of the idiotic owner. He had a huge vet bill that he paid.

There are many types of dogs - both purebred and crossbreeds that are far more dangerous in general, than a greyhound. If your thoughts were right, all large dogs would be muzzled. There are many large dogs that would kill a small fluffy animal, even of the same species and it regularly happens in dog parks as well as out on the street, you just don't hear about it.

Only last week I heard about someone's Maltese being ripped apart by a Malamute.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, I know of several people who's childhood dogs went to the magical farm. They later found out that the dog was PTS for one or several of those behavioural issues you mentioned. Clearly the parents didn't want to tell them the truth. I wonder how common that is???

My friend's boyfriend believed well into his late 20s that his family dog had "gone to live on a farm", until my friend heard him talking about it and went "surely you don't believe that your dog actually went to go and live on a farm? Did you ever see this farm?" - he seriously believe the dog was actually on a farm until they confronted his mum and she admitted she ran over the dog on the way to work one day :eek:

I actually had a Border Collie that went to live on a farm when I was a kid. He was way too much dog for my dad (who was a dog novice migrant City boy from Europe) to handle so a workmate took him and gave him to his brother who ran sheep. He turned out to be the easiest dog to train that farmer ever encountered! Just goes to show if you don't know what you are doing then even the best of dogs isn't going to help.

Agreed! Greyhounds are such gorgeous animals - such a misconception about them though :(

Sorry I should have explained myself better, and I do love greyhounds,and know they are a gentle dog by nature, what I should have said was, they muzzle greyhounds, and they don't bite for no reason so why not muzzle a dog that does bite, I don't understand why they have to muzzle greyhounds at all anyway.

I believe that greyhounds are muzzled because they chase lures and could well mistake a small dog or cat in public for same. Many years ago, when I was a child, we owned a pekinese and a fellow up the road had a racing greyhound and walked it unmuzzled. That same greyhound took to our peke ad almost killed him. Not the greyhound's fault, but definately the fault of the idiotic owner. He had a huge vet bill that he paid.

There are many types of dogs - both purebred and crossbreeds that are far more dangerous in general, than a greyhound. If your thoughts were right, all large dogs would be muzzled. There are many large dogs that would kill a small fluffy animal, even of the same species and it regularly happens in dog parks as well as out on the street, you just don't hear about it.

Only last week I heard about someone's Maltese being ripped apart by a Malamute.

I was referring to a racing greyhound. What the owner was doing was in fact illegal. I have met several greyhounds at the park and they have be desensitised and are truly wonderful dogs and I have no problem with them.

A yes, the mystical "farm" that's just itching to take on a problem dog.

I've noticed this a lot on DOL. People tend to think that problem dogs, hyper dogs, dog aggressive dogs, escapees etc etc all belong on a farm. I think there's more temptation to do wrong in rural areas than there are in the burbs.

;) ;) omg don't blow that myth out of the water.... its how we got all our dogs... useless owners who though dog needed more space and a farm would be ideal... hence we beat every other idiot who phoned emailed or enquired just because we have a real farm.

if you blow the myth how do i get another great dog at a great price! :rofl: :rofl:

but i was unsuitable for a rescue cause 6ft colour bond was the requirement. :o

:D Ah, so you are "that" real farm! :D

Seriously, there are others too. Several are long standing contacts of Souff and because they understand how most dogs tick, the re-homed dogs have always settled in well. Biggest problem has been snakes.

And, just like you, they don't have the 6ft colour bond fence ....

Souff

Hugs, there should be no wrong way for an owner to pick up their dog.

A dog is supposed to trust and love the one who feeds it.

Seriously? There are lots of wrong ways to pick up a dog, by the leg, by the neck, under the sensitive flank area, all of which I've seen done (mostly kids of course but even some adults amazingly). I'm pretty sure my dog would object if I picked him up in a way which caused in pain, and the way he would show his objection would be growling and/or biting because there are very few other ways for him to communicate his feelings.

I've noticed this a lot on DOL. People tend to think that problem dogs, hyper dogs, dog aggressive dogs, escapees etc etc all belong on a farm. I think there's more temptation to do wrong in rural areas than there are in the burbs.

I don't think it's just DOL, I think it's a pretty wide spread idea that there is some magical farm where all problem dogs can go and live. There's no farm. What farmers want problems dogs any more than people in the suburbs do? Dogs with behaviourial issues need training. Not acreage.

Funnily enough, I know of several people who's childhood dogs went to the magical farm. They later found out that the dog was PTS for one or several of those behavioural issues you mentioned. Clearly the parents didn't want to tell them the truth. I wonder how common that is???

I know quite a few people who tell their kids the dog 'went to live on a farm'. It's a little bit like the people with roaming cats who decided that the cat 'ran away' when in reality it probably didn't come home because it was hit by a car :(

Still those mythical farms do exist, I used to live on a street that was semi-rural just on the edge of the city, not one dog owner on that street has ever paid for a dog they have all been dumpees, I was 'adopted' by a lovely young dally girl that was dumped on that road, unfortunately I couldn't keep her at the time but after advising the council of the lost dog and having her checked for a chip etc she was given to a relative of a friend and as far as I know is still doing well, she doesn't live on a farm though.

As for the dog in question I've come across a lot of JRTs as they are popular with horse people and they are very very full on little dogs so it's not surprising this little fellow has gone a little feral without firm leadership, I hope the trainer can help the owner to turn him around.

My ex boyfriend had been told as a child that his dog had gone to live on the farm. Cynical bugger that he was, he assumed they had put the dog to sleep and just told him the age old story.

Fast forward to only a year ago at 23 years old it was brought up at dinner, with him saying 'I can't believe you used such a cliche to lie about putting the dog down!'.

The parents were shocked and said no, the dog DID actually go and live on a farm!!

So all these years he'd assumed they'd killed the dog when they were telling the truth!! LOL. He was very happy.

Guest RosieFT

If the dog wanted to attack the owner she would have more than a tooth through the lip/skin or wherever it was.

Who knows how the dog reacted after it realised it had made contact with it's owner? Rosie has made contact (never drawn blood or anything) with my hands by accident on occasion - when i am playing tug or she has leapt at the hose, the minute she touches me or i squeak she goes super submissive and stops all hyper behaviour. But if (hypothetically) at the point of contact she ripped the skin, she may then be submissive but it would have been too late.

As an aside, when my cousin was about 3 or 4 she was brought to meet my horse at my agistment centre, I did not realise the farm dog (rough collie) was out. This little girl had pet collies at home so when she saw this dog, she ran up and hugged it around the neck from the front as she did with her own dogs at home. The dog bit her full in the face and she had to be rushed to the doctor's to have stitches. This was around 13years ago, but this dog was not put down or even blamed for the bite.

Would you blame the dog in this instance and put it to sleep? Obviously parental duty was to blame, along with bad timing (dog was not usually around the stables) and a confident child who had dogs of the same breed and behaved as she did with her own dogs.

If the dog wanted to attack the owner she would have more than a tooth through the lip/skin or wherever it was.

Who knows how the dog reacted after it realised it had made contact with it's owner? Rosie has made contact (never drawn blood or anything) with my hands by accident on occasion - when i am playing tug or she has leapt at the hose, the minute she touches me or i squeak she goes super submissive and stops all hyper behaviour. But if (hypothetically) at the point of contact she ripped the skin, she may then be submissive but it would have been too late.

While I agree that this didn't seem like a sustained attack (I can't imagine the owner not immediately dropping the dog away from her face), the fact that the dog bit the face hard on being picked up instead of biting at the hands is an indication that the dog was very serious in its attempt to hurt.

An attack like this shouldn't be downplayed. If a serious effort is not undertaken to work with the dog with professional help, this dog should be considered very dangerous to be around.

My ex boyfriend had been told as a child that his dog had gone to live on the farm. Cynical bugger that he was, he assumed they had put the dog to sleep and just told him the age old story.

Fast forward to only a year ago at 23 years old it was brought up at dinner, with him saying 'I can't believe you used such a cliche to lie about putting the dog down!'.

The parents were shocked and said no, the dog DID actually go and live on a farm!!

So all these years he'd assumed they'd killed the dog when they were telling the truth!! LOL. He was very happy.

I heard a celebrity on the radio talking about how his family had a donkey called "Pablo" that "went to live on a farm". He always assumed it meant PTS :( Until....one day a Christmas card and photo of an elderly Pablo arrived telling the family how very well old Pablo was! :laugh: He also was soooo happy. :D

I find it really quite alarming, the number of people that are saying this little dog should be PTS. Based purely, on the scant amount of info that has been provided.

I would like to think that given the time that has passed between the "incident" and now that something has already come into play regarding his "training and behaviour assessment". :confused:

"While I agree that this didn't seem like a sustained attack (I can't imagine the owner not immediately dropping the dog away from her face), the fact that the dog bit the face hard on being picked up instead of biting at the hands is an indication that the dog was very serious in its attempt to hurt."

Unless the hands are hurting the dog, sore ribs, body injury, etc. they really aren't accessable to bite at being under the body. An aggro dog will grab at the nearest piece of flesh and that would be the face if the dog is lifted to that height. I don't think anyone can judge what really happened as the attitude both before and after the bite would be important. Also what happened at the other signs of aggression. Is this really an aggresive dog or just a spoilt little shite?

If it were my dog I would have done nothing for it to be this aggressive then I put it to sleep. However if he has been raised incorrectly then maybe the dog can be rehabilitated as this was not in his/her original nature. I say maybe as sometimes there is no point of return.

;) ;) omg don't blow that myth out of the water.... its how we got all our dogs... useless owners who though dog needed more space and a farm would be ideal... hence we beat every other idiot who phoned emailed or enquired just because we have a real farm.

if you blow the myth how do i get another great dog at a great price! :rofl: :rofl:

but i was unsuitable for a rescue cause 6ft colour bond was the requirement. :o

:D Ah, so you are "that" real farm! :D

Seriously, there are others too. Several are long standing contacts of Souff and because they understand how most dogs tick, the re-homed dogs have always settled in well. Biggest problem has been snakes.

And, just like you, they don't have the 6ft colour bond fence ....

Souff

yeah i don't need a fence.... i have couch! usually with no room for humans to sit.... :rofl:

sophie my toughest rehome is laying next to me licking her paws to cool herself.... now if i look sideways then she will pile in my lap and this post, ok so she knocked the computer down battery fell out and by some mircle the post was still here!:eek:

she her first day here she refused to come... was terrified... and i though she would always be an aloof dog... now she wants to be with us... she will line up for a face rub, belly rub and any attention going.

now i am going to try to get her doing comp obedience... it might be an epic fail but who knows...

all dogs that have a chance are worth working with.... um maybe i should shut up now.... we got sophie by me knowing not when to shut up... but i will never regret it... never.

my first :heart: dog was 16 years old when he bit me on my hand for the fist and only time. I was sitting on the foor with my back resting on the settee laughing and turning in response to something my hubs was saying. our boy was behind me ..it was so quick and so out of character ,I was shocked to the core and very wary of him after that ( he always came for cuddles before this happened, not so after. months later ,out of the blue he jumped up on my lap and cuddled into me for a good 5 mins then quietly jumped off the settee . the next day he had a huge lump on his head and we took him to the vets where he was pts. He looked like a pup again no lump just so relaxed. It broke our hearts to let him go and we will never forget him.He was 17 and a jrc. I guess what Im saying is i would not put him to sleep for the bite as he had never ever shown agression.

Even my little Cherry dog can growl and snap if she's picked up by surprise, she's 13 years old, almost completely blind, sore with arthritis etc - if I was her I would growl and snap if someone picked me up by surprise too! We fixed this 100% by saying 'stop' before we pick her up just so she knows we are going to pick her up and she doesn't get a fright (so far her hearing is still working ok). A bit of common sense can go a long way.

yeah i don't need a fence.... i have couch! usually with no room for humans to sit.... :rofl:

sophie my toughest rehome is laying next to me licking her paws to cool herself.... now if i look sideways then she will pile in my lap and this post, ok so she knocked the computer down battery fell out and by some mircle the post was still here!:eek:

she her first day here she refused to come... was terrified... and i though she would always be an aloof dog... now she wants to be with us... she will line up for a face rub, belly rub and any attention going.

now i am going to try to get her doing comp obedience... it might be an epic fail but who knows...

all dogs that have a chance are worth working with.... um maybe i should shut up now.... we got sophie by me knowing not when to shut up... but i will never regret it... never.

Excellent! :thumbsup:

She might just surprise you at just how good she can be in comp. Go Sophie!!!

Souff

Our Border terrier was rehomed after my brother developed a severe and debilitating allergy to dogs. Mum always said she had been rehomed to a couple who lived on a farm, and a couple of years ago, 30 years after she had been rehomed, i finally plucked up the courage to ask mum did they really have her PTS, and mum said nope, she really did go to live with a couple on the outskirts of town who had a hobby farm!

Excellent! :thumbsup:

She might just surprise you at just how good she can be in comp. Go Sophie!!!

Souff

well i guess last place is better than sleeping on the couch..... its better than her being pts as was suggested when woodbyne rescued her...

lets hope she does.... if she does i am sure you will read about it souff... cause i won't be able to keep me fingers still. :rofl: