How Did You Choose Your Breed?

Jetshroom

I've been researching what breeds would be best for my family and the information I'm finding has led me to two options.

Bernese Mountain Dog and English Setter.

This was based off looks, personality, activity levels, space etc.

Just wondering what processes others used to determine what breed to get.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was temperamenet , light to no shedding, be in the running for agility in future, good with children/family, intelligent quick to learn.. We now have Rogue our beautiful Airedale terrier that meets all I wanted he soaks it all up like a sponge and is a delight.. I spent may years researching but always came back to this breed.

I knew when i was 7 what breeds i was going to have when i was allowed to :D

I am starting to look into my next dog (wont be until one of my guys are gone) I always said i would stick with the BT and SBT but i really am loving the looks of the French Bulldogs and the DDB. I need to work out if their Temps will suit my lifestyle or not.

To clarify, I was just wondering how you guys came to your decisions, our decision's pretty much been made. English Setter due to size.

@mumof4girls: An Airedale was another option but my fiance dismissed them out of hand (every time) because she's insane and thinks they're ugly.

@persephone: Yeah, I went through that forum. It helped make the decision.

Originally we were looking at getting a Husky. They fit most of my requirements, but as I was researching I started to become a little unsure about how I felt in terms of the escape artist nature that some have. So I was working out what needed to be done to secure our place and whether it was going to be too difficult or not. I eventually came across Akitas somehow when I was looking online and knew straight away that they were perfect for me, an even better fit for us than a Husky.

We always had cattle x's growing up on acerage, so once we moved in to suburbia I was desperate for my own dog. Our neighbour, who we were very friendly with, had a lab x goldie that she used to let me walk as she didn't have as much time.

That sealed it and I started looking at labs and goldies. I clicked with Harvey after looking at 3-4 litters and that was it. Then bailey came along 2 years later as I was beginning to research breeds, a new local breeder came up and she invited us out just to talk about the breed and what to look for etc and we fell in love with Bailey. She was originally going to keep him to run on, but decided that it wasn't practical for them at the time, so he ended up coming home with us a week later!

Guest donatella

Id wanted a pom since a kid but my parents never let me so as soon as I was in a place to get a dog it was the first and only breed I looked into.

Id wanted a pom since a kid but my parents never let me so as soon as I was in a place to get a dog it was the first and only breed I looked into.

:rofl:

This was pretty much it for me too. A friend had one when I was 5 and it was the most gorgeous little critter with lots of energy, personality and fluff :)

20 years later I was finally in a position to have a dog so here we are :)

Guest donatella

:rofl:

This was pretty much it for me too. A friend had one when I was 5 and it was the most gorgeous little critter with lots of energy, personality and fluff :)

20 years later I was finally in a position to have a dog so here we are :)

they're the coolest little things too :thumbsup:

I feel in love with the looks of my breed. I grew up with a SBT so knew they would fit into my life. When i researched the BT i knew they would fit.

Had they not have fitted i would not have gotten them, but my love for my breeds was totally on how they looked

We wanted something with a low activity level. That was probably he main thing. Quiet, protective, laidback and stable temperament, as we had kids. I had it narrowed down to 3 breeds. Bullmastiff, Rodhesian Ridgeback and Newfoundland. Newfie was the first to be crossed off becasue my OH thought they were too big and too much hair. And I preferred the look of the bullmastiff over the ridgeback, the rest is history. Will never be without a bullmastiff (or 4). They literally are the perfect fit. Thats not to say I wont ever have other breeds, because I will, but Bullmastiffs are so perfectly suited to me its not funny.

I have a fear of larger dogs so I wanted a smaller dog (but not too tiny) who could stay mainly inside. It had to be good with small kids. One who would be happy to sit on my lap for a cuddle or accompany me for walks & one that is easy to train.

I didnt' think much of the malting factor :laugh: I chose a Cavalier King Charles & we all just lover her to pieces :love:

Our neighbour got a Keeshond puppy and we fell in love with him. Found a breeder and here we are. Year later going through some stuff from when I was a kid, in a journal type thing I kept, I had pictures of dogs from magazines and the Keeshond was one of them!

Lhasa Apsos, well we fell in love with them when we started showing and put an order in. 16 years later and our first boy is still chugging along.

My youngest daughter was about 2 going on three. I put a dog breed book in front of her for fun and asked her what doggie she liked best?

She flipped through the pages for a while, then while pointing at a page announced, I like this one, (a Cavalier) in this colour (Blenheim) and her name will be "Bonnie"! Well she had to wait until she was 7 for her Bonnie and Bonnie is now 4 years old, I've become a Reg. Breeder and Show Nut AKA Exhibitor (my daughter is my Show Buddy) and we now have four Cavaliers. :laugh:

We loved the looks of the Husky, so did research to find out if they'd be a breed that would be suitable for us. We wanted an active dog that would be good with kids and was independent but liked being part of the family, and the Husky ticked all those boxes. So we got Akira, who was raised with young kids and generally likes kids better than adults! When it came time to get a second dog, we wanted something very similar to Akira but not QUITE as independent and stubborn! After being on here, we had found the Finnish Lapphund, and I think they're definitely the perfect fit for our family. We love the Husky personality, and I think we'll always have a Husky, but Lappies are definitely a better fit for us.