Another Dog Or Not

shyfig

Hi everyone,

Well Jed will be two years old in April so I am now trying to weigh up the pros and cons of acquiring another BC or possibly a German Shorthaired Pointer. Jed has grown into a wonderful dog and will be two in April. He has no drive, (one reason he was picked for our particular family situation), herds cuddles :laugh: loves his walks but can cope if he misses them. He is crate trained, an indoor dog and just so smart (as BC's are). His only downfall still is aggressive behaviour towards our cats.

I would love a companion/playmate for him but have been told that when you have two or more dogs they will seek each others company therefore will not bond, or be such a close companion with the human family. Does anyone else have any ideas about this notion? Also, with two dogs...would they by nature automatically gang up (as a pack) on the cats?

His only downfall still is aggressive behaviour towards our cats.

Also, with two dogs...would they by nature automatically gang up (as a pack) on the cats?

IMO yes

Agree...a puppy will pick up on the older dogs disposition towards the cat and join in.

Edited by LizT

Yes, as Rebanne has said.

I think any instinct seems to be exacerbated when a dog is in a pack situation. I can't remember who it was, but someone posted quite a while back about their dogs, who had been fine with the family cat for years, one day got too aroused in play and killed it. And these dogs had been previously trusted with the cat.

I would say that is an issue you would need to address before considering a second dog. Even then, I would always keep the dogs and cat separate when I went out, etc.

Agree. And the two breed choices are ones that do have the tendency to chase cats anyway (if not properly trained).

You have to be really careful about the puppy bonding to the older dog and not you as well. Many trainers recommend almost complete separation of the older dog and pup until you've got a good relationship with the pup.

As the owner of two Vizslas and a German Shorthaired Pointer, I dispute the claim that the dogs don't bond as well to you. I call bullshit. :laugh: I've also had several different breeds over the years and none ever suffered from bonding issues because I had more than one dog.

However, if you want another cruisy dog like your current BC, you will be lucky to find a chilled out GSP. They are rarely anything but energetic. I have a cruisy Vizsla, but it's a rarity also. Not common.

As the owner of two Vizslas and a German Shorthaired Pointer, I dispute the claim that the dogs don't bond as well to you. I call bullshit. :laugh: I've also had several different breeds over the years and none ever suffered from bonding issues because I had more than one dog.

However, if you want another cruisy dog like your current BC, you will be lucky to find a chilled out GSP. They are rarely anything but energetic. I have a cruisy Vizsla, but it's a rarity also. Not common.

[/quote

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah I know the chances of finding another "cruisy" BC are fairly negligent...we were so lucky with Jed. Our dog before jed was a GSP who was given to us at 4yrs of age. She had trained with security dogs and was spot on with commands. She had also grown up with a GSD and two cats whom would all sleep together. She was ssooo cruisy it was unbelievable. We used to let the chooks out to pick around the yard..Angie (the GSP) used to plonk her tennis ball in the midst of them waiting for some chook to play with her. Then when a random peck on the ball was given she'd get so excited. When she realized the particular chook wasn't going to play...she'd pick the ball up and follow her an d try again :rofl:

Edited by shyfig

For all 3 of my dogs I am the most important thing in their lives not the other dogs (maybe food is more important to the dally :laugh: ). When I get a pup I spend a lot of one on one time with the pup and training also helps form a bond. BCs are a breed that tends to bond easily to their owner rather than the other dogs.

My youngest BC has never shown any interest in chasing small animals despite the fact that my other 2 chase possums. I have done no training with him in regards to not chasing so sometimes it is just the nature of the dog.

Yeah I know the chances of finding another "cruisy" BC are fairly negligent...we were so lucky with Jed.

"Cruisy" BCs can be a product of training. All of mine have been "cruisy" at home because that is what I expect. Moss is very low drive but Cole is high drive with a brilliant off switch. He is very laid back at home but I can put him into drive so easily when I want too.

ETA a good breeder can pick a laid back pup for you rather than a high drive pup.

Edited by Janba

I've got 3 dogs (used to have 5) and will be getting number 4 in just over a months time and I have never had problems with the dogs bonding with me. All of them prefer to be with me over each other, although they do get along and like each other, I am definitely more important to them.

I've got 3 dogs (used to have 5) and will be getting number 4 in just over a months time and I have never had problems with the dogs bonding with me. All of them prefer to be with me over each other, although they do get along and like each other, I am definitely more important to them.

Definitely agree the bonding is not an issue. For me it was third dog I have the strongest bond with. I think they key is though you have to make the time to spend time with the pup and older dog one on one, and also get the pup use to spending time without the other dog.

Sorry - can't comment on cats as I do not have any.

I think the bonding thing would come up if you simply left the 2 dogs to run together all the time. The key is spending one to one quality time with each dog separately, and doing the training yourself to help that bond between you get strong.

Not sure about cats - I suspect separation would be in order.

Yeah I know the chances of finding another "cruisy" BC are fairly negligent...we were so lucky with Jed.

"Cruisy" BCs can be a product of training. All of mine have been "cruisy" at home because that is what I expect. Moss is very low drive but Cole is high drive with a brilliant off switch. He is very laid back at home but I can put him into drive so easily when I want too.

ETA a good breeder can pick a laid back pup for you rather than a high drive pup.

This is how we ended up with a low drive BC....the breeder chose him. His mother is exactly the same! He has been this way since birth....not trained to be cruisy.

I own 4 dogs 2 golden retrievers 1 13 year old male named Buddy and 1 3 year old female named Shelley, I also have 1 7 month old female whippet named Missy and 1 6 year old male chihuahua named Rascal. All my dogs prefer me and we have a strong bond, they spend the day outside then inside at night. The goldens get put outside to sleep when we go to bed. My dad and I can be outside with the dogs, My dad would throw a toy for missy to fetch and she will always bring the toy to me. My dogs love eacthother and do play with one another all the time but if i were to pay anyone of them attention they all want in on it.

Hi everyone,

Well Jed will be two years old in April so I am now trying to weigh up the pros and cons of acquiring another BC or possibly a German Shorthaired Pointer. Jed has grown into a wonderful dog and will be two in April. He has no drive, (one reason he was picked for our particular family situation), herds cuddles :laugh: loves his walks but can cope if he misses them. He is crate trained, an indoor dog and just so smart (as BC's are). His only downfall still is aggressive behaviour towards our cats.

I would love a companion/playmate for him but have been told that when you have two or more dogs they will seek each others company therefore will not bond, or be such a close companion with the human family. Does anyone else have any ideas about this notion? Also, with two dogs...would they by nature automatically gang up (as a pack) on the cats?

I have more than 2 dogs - have had more than 2 since 2002. The dogs I've had have always been very bonded with me and with each other, some in particular with one other dog but the group I have at the moment all love each other very much. I'll never have just 1 dog again. But always let your dog pick their friends.

Just to add a note on the cat situation, a second dog will follow the first in their behaviour normally - even if you start with a cat friendly dog, they may follow your BC's lead so you will need to take great care. I would not get a GSP - they can have a very high prey drive. My friend got one and then got a cat and a bird and a guinea pig. It was a constant juggling act with all the small animals in great danger. The dog killed the bird when they forgot to shut the door one day so they ended up getting rid of the cat and the guinea pig moved on as well, it was very stressful for the many months they all shared the house ...

Edited by dogmad

Ditto this. We have four dogs (number five arives Friday :thumbsup: ). Ten years ago we got the two older little dogs together and a few years later we got the two younger large dogs together (and I have finally learnt my lesson - only ONE pup at a time :eek: :laugh: ). For all four dogs I'm number one - I call them my entourage - where I am, they are, always. They get on okay together, but are definately more bonded with me than each other.

Sorry, don't have any advice re the cats, our dogs have always been fine with the cats, chooks, pigs.... Our little chi adores the cats and wants to give them doggie kisses all the time (much to the cats' disgust), the rest of the dogs more or less completely ignore the cats - the dogs are more interested in the cats' dinner than the cats themselves.

All my border collies have been pretty quite. They have all bonded very well to me, even when I had 4 at the one time.

With the GSP idea - my borders are not fond of GSP. They aren't fans of any of the gun dog breeds.

With the cats, hard to say how it will go down. The pup might chase Jed rather than the cats. My current dogs like the Birmans and hate the moggie.

pups tend to learn the naughty quicker then the good, from the older dog(s) in the pack so cat chasing would be an issue I would think.

As for affection, I have several dogs and they all want to join me on the sofa, 3 sleep on my bed - no problems with bonding with me and they all get along together well.

The only thing, with 2 dogs it is a good idea to get the new dog used to spending time on their own away from the other dog - sometimes they can fret a lot if their canine companion is away (eg at the vets for treatment or you are away with one competing in some dog sport etc etc)

Agree. And the two breed choices are ones that do have the tendency to chase cats anyway (if not properly trained).

You have to be really careful about the puppy bonding to the older dog and not you as well. Many trainers recommend almost complete separation of the older dog and pup until you've got a good relationship with the pup.

Thats not always true, while my 2 love each other they also really love being with us and are bonded to us humans too! I train mine seperatly but while im at work they are alone, 3 days a week.

ETA my 2 are gundogs both get on well with the cats. Both pups tried to bother the cats as pups but i was very strict with this and did really yell at them etc if they chased cat or got too rough. My younger pup thought it was fun to try lay down on top of the cats and this was really discouraged!

Edited by Mason_Gibbs