Little Disheartned With New Vet

I don't feed BARF ,found it too hard to maintain weight on my dogs & had to feed way to much to do so & they look no different on it to what they are feed normally & our dogs never get sick.

But each to there own some swear by it others find it isn't great only you can decide on the right diet & right ratio for your dog

The problem i see with barf is everyone goes by weight for age & this percentage etc.

You need to feed according to your pup ,you don't need guidelines or weight ratios you need to adapt to what your dog looks like on a weekly basis.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5.6kg for a 10 week old GSD sounds a little small to me, but it does depend on the individual dog. Most large breed pups are around the 7-10kg mark at 10 weeks in my experience

Is he small and light boned?

But if he has good rib coverage and no prominent bones, then he is ok.

I guess the concern with feeding raw to a puppy is that it is quite hard to get all the nutrient requirements right, especially for a large breed. However, if your breeder is experienced and has raised puppies successfully on a raw diet, it should be fine.

If you have a bad feeling with the vet then I recommend you see a new one. I think it is important to have a good and trusting relationship with your vet. If you don't trust your vets knowledge or decisions, there is really little point in continuing the relationship.

And, I think we need some photos of the little one :D

Is it a GSD?? I thought an it was Airedale but happy to be wrong.

Ooops, my mistake :o

well, then 5.6kg doesn't sound too bad then.

Don't know why i thought it was a GSD.

I must have GSDs on the brain (i've been working at a clinic that has HEAPS of GSDS, so maybe thats it)

A little tip my vet gave me - When you are uncomfortable, being lectured, pressured or simply do not agree with the 'professional' simply state clearly - "It's MY choice" wink.gif

Personally I think we stress to much about 'perfect' puppy nutrition. Keep it simple - barf patties and RMBs (chicken frames, wings, necks, lamb flaps, shanks, roo tail, etc). That's it. The patties are a commercial food, just a raw version. You don't need to add to them.

Forget about feeding the 'right' amount. If the dog is too fat feed less, too thin feed more, doesn't eat it then take it away and offer it again next meal time. No choices. A healthy dog wont starve, plus would YOU eat dry food if meat was on offer instead?

My pup gets one 'meal' per day and has done since she was 12 weeks old. The rest she works for - no work, no food. Don't like it? Miss out! Food has a lot of value. She's certainly not neglected though.. Her nickname is Fat Elkalaugh.gif

Anyway she gave him a once over and it seems my little man has only had one testy drop ( I blame myself at this point as I now remember the breeder telling me with this breed you have to play with his privates to make them both come down, common problem... I forgot ) Does anyone have expereince with this, do I just feel around and coax it down everyday?? I will be ringing my breeder today to ask but in the mean time does anyone know..??

confused.gif This sounds weird to me. I was never told to do this with my dog...surely it will just drop in its own time?

Airedales are lean dogs. I think you said previously that they didn't know what an Airedale was so maybe they have no idea.

Since your breeder is not far away maybe ask her as well which vet she uses? It may be worth it to get someone who knows your breed. I can't remember weights and agree with asking her about that and food as well smile.gif

Definitely ask the breeder for exact instructions on feeding. They will know what works with their dogs.

The puppy does sound underweight and the amount you are feeding is only about half what a 10 week old Border Collie would eat so nowhere near enough food. Some vets only believe in commercial food but the vet was probably pretty harsh because the puppy is underweight.

If you want to try a dry food again then I recommend Black Hawk. My current JS puppy is a light eater and wouldn't eat several dry foods but loves the Black Hawk. He is on partly raw with chicken wings or necks, etc and raw veges but I want him to eat dry as well as he may have to stay with his breeder sometimes for shows. I feed raw mainly raw, she feeds mainly dry.

If I give him a whole portion of barf at one meal he leaves it so that would tell me he is full. He will not eat dry food, I have also today tried softening it..

I went onto an airedale forum today and that seems to be common that they don't eat dry food or they are3 very fussy with it.. Also his weight seems to be ok some at his age are a little under some a little over and some a heap over lol.. I will try to find some Black Hawk, I am finding it hard to get dry food I have been recommended by people so I may have to get it online..

so that would tell me he is full.

or that he has a sore mouth..or that he doesn't like eating out of that bowl, or that there is something else more interesting going on, or...

You're probably correct, but be aware that other things can come into play ;)

Anyway she gave him a once over and it seems my little man has only had one testy drop ( I blame myself at this point as I now remember the breeder telling me with this breed you have to play with his privates to make them both come down, common problem... I forgot ) Does anyone have expereince with this, do I just feel around and coax it down everyday?? I will be ringing my breeder today to ask but in the mean time does anyone know..??

confused.gif This sounds weird to me. I was never told to do this with my dog...surely it will just drop in its own time?

Airedales are lean dogs. I think you said previously that they didn't know what an Airedale was so maybe they have no idea.

Since your breeder is not far away maybe ask her as well which vet she uses? It may be worth it to get someone who knows your breed. I can't remember weights and agree with asking her about that and food as well smile.gif

If it does not drop he will need to be castrated the vet said by 6 mths, I said I wanted to wait at least 12mths she said no 6 mths.. Ugh so I was hoping to assist it to drop lol.. I might ask around re massaging it down but the breeder did say that I would need to do this and it is common..

I have emailed the breeder as I couldn't get hold of her today but i think I know the vet she goes to so I might ring them..

Re the vet saying he is too lean, you know I actually think she made more of that as I said I was feeding raw and I wasn't interested on feeding him totally dry food

.. I gave him a good feel today and his ribs are not sticking out, they feel good and this arvo he was running around full pelt heaps of energy. Looks like more vets to try lol..

so that would tell me he is full.

or that he has a sore mouth..or that he doesn't like eating out of that bowl, or that there is something else more interesting going on, or...

You're probably correct, but be aware that other things can come into play ;)

I have put dry into his Kong wobbler but he sniffs it when it falls out and isn't interested.. He hasn't touched it from the beginning, I have even pushed it into his meat he spits it out.. He chews on his pigs ear and his meaty bones, but your right persephone I shouldn't presume, but the vet had a good look at his teeth today....

Vets and feeding. Sometimes I wonder!!! One of my mini schnauzers had pancreatitus brought on by I believe medication. Both my dogs are raw fed and the vet said I had change to a dry food. I did a lot of research and then consequently changed vets who modified the raw diet to suit my sick boy and 4 years later, he is still eating raw thereby disputing the need for a dry food diet. I have always fed my dogs raw and as far as I'm concerned, will continue to do so. My older boy is now almost 14 1/2 years old, has his problems but still manages to eat his meaty bones with great gusto.

Vets and feeding. Sometimes I wonder!!! One of my mini schnauzers had pancreatitus brought on by I believe medication. Both my dogs are raw fed and the vet said I had change to a dry food. I did a lot of research and then consequently changed vets who modified the raw diet to suit my sick boy and 4 years later, he is still eating raw thereby disputing the need for a dry food diet. I have

always fed my dogs raw and as far as I'm concerned, will continue to do so. My older boy is now almost 14 1/2

years old, has his problems but still manages to eat his meaty bones with great gusto.

I have decided to ring every vet around and ask them what they think of a raw diet, that way I am not paying for them to lecture me lol...Her main reason was for his teeth, I said

he gets meaty bones but she insisted dry food was what he

needed..

Edit to say: spoke to his breeder and all is good, diet is fine

:-) he should be lean not skinny ..

Edited by mumof4girls

I have decided to ring every vet around and ask them what they think of a raw diet, that way I am not paying for them to lecture me lol...Her main reason was for his teeth, I said he gets meaty bones but she insisted dry food was what he needed..

You don't need to ring all the vets you just need to end the convo when it starts ,infact in all the years of having dogs i have never had a vet bring up diet whether new or old.

If they ask what you feed don't go into unless you are there with an issue that could be diet related .

Whilst some vets may question your choice of diet i don't see that as a cross of the list for me there are far more important factors in selecting a vet clinic such as ability to diagnosis ,surgical skills & care,after hrs service, costs ,turn around of vets .

You will always find something you dislike in a clinic but you need to weigh up the factors .

As for dry & Airedales i showed Airedales for a friend who breeds & all those ate dry no issues as does another friend i now .

Didn't ask about the breed as i saw it in the avatar photo.

Guest donatella

I'm in Brisbane and I get my black hawk delivered from the rep (who was quick with communication and lovely). I have a small dog miss fussy and she eats the BH. I recommend getting the 3kg bag (it's heaps and only $15 plus $5 delivery).

Definitely ask the breeder for exact instructions on feeding. They will know what works with their dogs.

The puppy does sound underweight and the amount you are feeding is only about half what a 10 week old Border Collie would eat so nowhere near enough food. Some vets only believe in commercial food but the vet was probably pretty harsh because the puppy is underweight.

If you want to try a dry food again then I recommend Black Hawk. My current JS puppy is a light eater and wouldn't eat several dry foods but loves the Black Hawk. He is on partly raw with chicken wings or necks, etc and raw veges but I want him to eat dry as well as he may have to stay with his breeder sometimes for shows. I feed raw mainly raw, she feeds mainly dry.

If I give him a whole portion of barf at one meal he leaves it so that would tell me he is full. He will not eat dry food, I have also today tried softening it..

I went onto an airedale forum today and that seems to be common that they don't eat dry food or they are3 very fussy with it.. Also his weight seems to be ok some at his age are a little under some a little over and some a heap over lol.. I will try to find some Black Hawk, I am finding it hard to get dry food I have been recommended by people so I may have to get it online..

Hey showdog,

Ha his breeder said he ate the dry for her and he is conning me.

The Airedale forum I looked at member after member said they had To add things to it for them to eat it. I am sure though if I gave him no other option he would eventually eat it LOL he is a little bugger :-)

I guess your right re food and vets, I just hate being lectured and not listened to...

My vet and I haven't discuss my dogs diet for many years. A few years ago wanted me to change from raw feeding to dry and I told him the issue was non negotiable. The subject was dropped and never raised again until very recently when he asked me for my recipe. He said he wanted it for one of his clients who was keen to feed raw.

He's always happy with the condition of my dogs and it seems he's had a change of heart re raw feeding. He's interested in the supplements I use and also that the Cavaliers who are now older dogs have very good teeth and have never needed a dental. When he examined their mouths he mumbled about it being unusual for the breed that the almost 8yo and the 6 1/2yo Cavalier both have excellent teeth. Maybe I'm winning him over ;)

edited to remove a word that made no sense.

Edited by cavNrott