10-02-2012-Timmy004.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy031.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy034.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy042.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy048.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy050.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy055.jpg

10-02-2012-Timmy063.jpg

Perfect in every way, but he is totally deaf... he can't hear himself having a tanty at bedtime... but I can! He settles pretty quickly though and then sleeps like a stone... hahaha!

He loves playing with Pickles, and she is completely loving having her very own live squeaky toy to play with... *grin*

He is 8 weeks old, and is going to be a big boy methinks...

T.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:thumbsup: What a cutie, what breed is she - sorry for the dumb question, but I have a habit of putting wrong names to dogs.

I had a Cavalier who became deaf and as long as I stomped on the floor she followed hand signals perfectly. When this dear old Girl also lost a lot of her sight the young Cavs used to lead her around by her ears.

I think raising a deaf dog would have its challenges but with your older dog already teaching her things should go well......

I will follow this story with great interest and hopefully the person who adopts her will be a DOL Member :thumbsup:

Timmy (boy puppy) is a Border Collie cross - looks to be crossed with an ACD of some description from the cute ticking on his face and paws.

As for being deaf, it certainly does have its challenges. Timmy won't even wake up if I stomp on the floor next to him - I have to touch him to wake him.

He's a cheeky bugger too - try to get his attention to teach him something, and he looks away and trots off to play instead... *sigh*

When I do get his attention when he's being naughty, I lift up my index finger and wag it at him to say "no", and if he's being good, he gets a pat and a thumbs up sign.

Trying to get his attention for a recall is very entertaining for anyone else watching - I have my arms out wide and waving them about to get him to notice and come... hehe!

T.

He is stunning!

We had a deaf adult in rescue. He understood sign language and was so very, very smart. At times I suspected that he could hear (not a chance hehe).

He went to live the rest of his life in a fantastic home that understood him.

Edited by HonBun

Pickles is definitely certifiable... lol!

Seriously, she is really good at playing with the little ones so they learn how to do it just right... ie. not biting too hard, etc

Timmy just got up Zeddy's nose and she flattened him - that was a shock for the poor little munchkin... he squeaked and squawked and went and sat in a corner for a few minutes eyeing her off as if to say "she was mean to me"... and I didn't go save him either - he can be a naughty boy sometimes, and Zeddy is more effective than me at correcting that sort of behaviour... *grin*

Oh, and he has worked out how to climb out of his playpen... *sigh*

Lucky boy gets to sleep in Trouble's crate at night, and she gets to sleep on my bed.

T.

:eek: You were right when you said cute, he is adorable! Hope he finds a good home with owners who have the time to teach him right. I have a deaf cat and I am forever talking to her and then I think whoops she can't hear me. :laugh: She certainly dos understand sign language though however very basic, it would be much more challenging with a dog.

Do I see a FF coming on??

No... no FF... I already have 3 permanent dogs who shed like there's no tomorrow - and they are short haired dogs... just what I need, a longer coated dog that will also shed!

He's growing! I just had to loosen his collar - and I only bought it 2 days ago!!

T.

• 3 weeks later...

New photos of Timmy having fun in the wet... certainly not scared to play in puddles with his 2 foster sisters... even though he's taken to not going outside to poop of late due to the rain... *sigh*

Solo photos...

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles130.jpg

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles108.jpg

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles089.jpg

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles050.jpg

With his "sisters"...

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles079.jpg

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles056.jpg

04-03-2012-Timmy-and-doodles085.jpg

T.

Puppies are crazy things - who knows what motivates them half the time... and with the attention span of a gnat to boot!

The fact that Timmy is deaf is fun - when he decides to wander about we find ourselves following him to make sure he doesn't go where he shouldn't - and I think he's slowly learning to stop and see if we are OK with where he's going and what he's doing - he does tend to look back and check where we are more often than the other pups who can hear fine. He also watches the other pups for cues, so we can call them and he'll come with them most times.

Poor lillypilly was near the creek at the back of the property today, and Timmy and Fern thought they'd go and check it out - not a good idea after the amount of rain we've had lately. Lillypilly grabbed them both before they could go into the water though, and they both got a right telling off - they probably won't be trying to go for a swim there again if their looks were anything to go by when they got roused on...

We had fine weather for a change today, so Timmy went potty outside after his dinner like the good boy he really is... *grin*

T.