Sunshine Coast Woman Hurt Trying To Save Her Dog From Attack

Maxiewolf

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/02/15/woman-hurt-in-bid-to-save-her-pet-woman-collapses/

A MALENY woman watched her beloved Maltese cross being mauled to death by a larger dog before it turned its jaws on her.

Louise O'Rourke, 72, was walking "her little baby" Rolly along Balmoral St in Montville when two dogs rushed from a home and attacked.

The aggressive dog leapt at its smaller target, its brutality enough for it to pierce Rolly's heart.

Ms O'Rourke screamed and apparently threw herself in harm's way to try to protect her long-time companion.

Separated from its target, the attacking dog bit her at least four times and left a bruise beneath one of her arms.

Ms O'Rourke had taken Rolly for an afternoon stroll on Monday after spending the day with a friend, Desrae Woolley.

When Ms Woolley heard her friend's screams, she ran to help.

Ms O'Rourke yelled "save my baby, save my baby!"

Her friend swept up the fatally injured dog and took it to her nearby home before delivering it to a veterinary surgery.

When the vet assessed the dog's wounds about 20 minutes later, Ms O'Rourke had arrived for the grim diagnosis.

The news on top of the grisly dog fight was too much. She collapsed and an ambulance was called.

Neither Ms O'Rourke's daughter, Viki Hart, nor Ms Woolley saw the attack, only the aftermath.

Ms Woolley said her friend was now "too traumatised to talk" after losing her constant companion.

"They were just walking along the footpath, she had Rolly on a lead," Ms Woolley said.

"This dog and its pup ran out from this unfenced yard.

"She (Ms O'Rourke) threw herself over the dog to protect it but the other dog got him and her in the process.

"There's bites to her finger, arms and back."

"But I think the trauma is the worst."

Ms Woolley said Ms O'Rourke and her dog lived for each other.

"Rolly was her love, her companion, her little mate. He had his own bed beside hers, but spent most of his time on her bed. He was always sitting beside her."

When Ms Woolley occasionally dog-sat him, "he was happy but would sit and wait for her to come back".

Council officers have seized the attacking dog.

A spokeswoman said a decision about the dog's future would be made once the investigation was completed.

If the dog is found to have attacked the woman, its owners could face a fine of up to $30,000.

... Very very sad and Tragic, and the council is too busy bringing in more stupid useless dog laws here when they cant even police the SIMPLE ones they had such as keeping your dog confined, and ON A LEAD. ... I am surprised this doesnt happen more often around here, there are so many loose dogs, Im rushed by at least 3 every time i go walking no matter what route I take, Im stalked by an offlead unconfined staffy in my own street - reports to council never bring any fruit.

How sad for that poor woman :(

That poor poor lady. She will be traumatised for the rest of her life.

I wonder if the owners of the other dog even care that her life and qualilty of life may never be the same again. She has lost her sole companion and her reason to get up and out every day. Now that is gone there may be a lot less reasons for her to get out and about.

My thoughts go to this poor lady and her family.

The reprecussions of an attack like this are far futher reaching than the physical injuries to the lady and her little friend.

Guest lavendergirl

Poor little dog and a tragedy for that poor lady - the shock is enough to kill these elderly people when this happens as it does all too often.

Poor woman, poor dog. This scenario is repeated all too often because instead of policing their leash and fence laws, councils Australia wide spend far too much time nabbing pitbulls - most of which are innocent of everything except a few smelly farts - or bringing in more over the top nanny laws which do no good whatsoever.

People in similar situations to this poor woman ought to be able to sue councils for dereliction of duty, but they would not succeed because councils can point to pit bull laws and say in defence "but see, we took all the bad dogs off the street".

Of course, these dogs will now be labelled "pit bulls" so the owner will be at fault, not the council.

And the stupid owner is at fault. Where is his fence? Has he not realised that a dog with pup/s is a very territorial dog, which MUST be contained? Did he not realise that his dog might attack, whatever the reason? Or did he not care?

Oh save me from fools and stupid councils.

Poor attacking dog, simply doing what dogs do. It should have been contained.

Edited by Jed

My god, how things can change a life in a matter of minutes. I would no sooner take my dog for a walk these days than fly to the moon. How many innocent dogs and people has this happened to. Owners are doing the right thing and walking them on leads, only to have unrestrained dogs attack them. This will devastate this poor lady, just an innocent walk, and she has ended up with her cherished companion taken from her. So sad, all because of morons who couldn't give a sh*t.

That's so terrible! That poor woman, having to see her companion die in such a horrible way :( And now the other dog will more than likely be PTS as well, all because some idiot couldn't keep her behind a secure fence.

Poor woman, poor dog. This scenario is repeated all too often ....

AND NEVER FAILS TO MAKE ME BLOODY ANGRY!

I am sick of useless owners of medium to large dogs allowing their dog to be in a situation where this can happen.

Many will chase and maul small dogs ... it is part of their instinctive hunting traits BUT it is simply NOT ON to kill or maim another person's beloved pets.

It happens on the streets, at the beaches and in dog parks. It can happen anywhere that a dog can be.

Ask any vet or vet nurse who sees the aftermath.

It is dreadful for them, and it is totally shattering to the owner of the small dogs.

Councils are in part to blame because instead of focussing on one particular type of dog, they should be looking at the capacity of ANY dog to kill or maim. They ALL have teeth to bite and LEGS to use to hunt down what they see as prey.

The only answer is to GO AFTER the owners of any attacking dogs and bring them to justice, and hit their hip pocket HARD. I know this is a tough line, but owners MUST come to realise that their beloved dog can be a killer and they must be alert to guard against tragedy.

I dont want to hear about breeds or dog types. I want to hear about what happens to the owners of the dogs that kill.

Souff

Poor woman, poor dog. This scenario is repeated all too often ....

AND NEVER FAILS TO MAKE ME BLOODY ANGRY!

I am sick of useless owners of medium to large dogs allowing their dog to be in a situation where this can happen.

Many will chase and maul small dogs ... it is part of their instinctive hunting traits BUT it is simply NOT ON to kill or maim another person's beloved pets.

It happens on the streets, at the beaches and in dog parks. It can happen anywhere that a dog can be.

Ask any vet or vet nurse who sees the aftermath.

It is dreadful for them, and it is totally shattering to the owner of the small dogs.

Councils are in part to blame because instead of focussing on one particular type of dog, they should be looking at the capacity of ANY dog to kill or maim. They ALL have teeth to bite and LEGS to use to hunt down what they see as prey.

The only answer is to GO AFTER the owners of any attacking dogs and bring them to justice, and hit their hip pocket HARD. I know this is a tough line, but owners MUST come to realise that their beloved dog can be a killer and they must be alert to guard against tragedy.

I dont want to hear about breeds or dog types. I want to hear about what happens to the owners of the dogs that kill.

Souff

As usual Souff is right on the money. This says it all. RIP Rolly and big hugs to his devastated owner.

Very very sad and I agree with the comments that Councils and lawmakers spend all their time focusing on pit bulls but that doesn't help the poor dogs and owners that are injured or killed by other breeds.

I hope she can recover emotionally as well as physically.