Rant From A P*ssed Off Show Secretary

Rebanne

Perhaps even a induction, on 1. Filling out an entry. 2. Responsibilities on show etc would/ should be held before you are allowed to go to a show?

I needed to ring someone re their entries, it was obvious they were new, I gave them a quick guide on how to enter a show. Yes the template on the VCA site should be the correct size. And yes, would be handy if the VCA sent out a 5 minute guide to entering a show or trial when they send out membership cards to the new people. I was lucky when I started showing that I knew how to fill the entry forms in thanks to doing agility/obedience for so many years and was shown how to do so correctly by the obedience club I was a member of way back then. Thanks people of Warringal.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant, was it easy to find? I find the VCA website quite hard to navigate.

eta maybe I should make some copies and put in the return address envelopes of the people who obviously can't be bothered to do it correctly. :rofl:

Edited by Rebanne

I had several entries from one exhibitor, let's call her A...several days later I had a callvoicemail message from a man with a completely different surname asking for the classes to be changed for 2 of the dogs. He left no contact number, and his call was from a blocked number. On arriving home I looked at the entry forms and they had no phone number at all on any of them. Not knowing these people, i was not prepared to make any change without contact from the owner (I mean it could have been the opposition calling!) I spent quite some time tracking down the owner, finding her on dogzonline- and sent her an email. Her reply was almost rude, and she said she didn't HAVE to put a phone number on her entries. She confirmed the changes, but I emailed her back and told her how much easier it would have been with one simple phone number!

In my experience, the new people try really hard and their mistakes are from not knowing. Most secretaries will go to great length to help someone who is trying to do the right thing. And anyone can forget the cheque, or not stamp their return envelope or any other absent minded oversight.

The annoying ones are the very experienced who simply don't take the time to fill in the entry correctly, and then assume any problems are the secretary's fault.

"They are the minority, they are the minority," the soothing mantra of the trial secretary.

Edited by Aussienot

Set up an account with Ozentries, makes filling out forms etc so much easier, Im starting to dwindle down my shows by only entering shows that are listed there ;)

with incorrect money, enter them, slot in their return envolope owing $... and number will be held at the office until paid, if the dog is incorrectly entered, enter how it is, if there is no form, then the person has made a donation lol :laugh:

Although I had a dog and the sec's kept changing his name cause they thought it was spelt wrong :confused:

The bane of my existance.

Even worse than entries that are too big, entries that are way too small and get lost amoungst the others.

Dogs entered with registration numbers that actually make them older than their parents.

Incorrect photocopied entries that are incorrect over and over and over again. (obviously)

Dogs entered with a siblings registration number........so what are they entering the named dog or the registered number dog?????

Dogs entered as just Chihuahua....hhhmmm I have a 50% chance of getting it right.

My personal best so far was to get the envelopes round the wrong way and to send the entries to myself.

Picked up the envelope and thought "gee that Secretary receipts numbers quickly" :o:doh::o

I've got all my entries computerised. I need only fill out the show and the classes. Much easier. :)

If Ozentries had Paypal, it would be the perfect system IMO.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Welcome to my world!!!!

Time and time again, an article has been printed in the Dogs Victoria magazine re how to make things easier for Show Secretaries, but of course, no one reads it!!!

I totally agree that it is not the newbies who make the majority of the mistakes - and incorrect sized entry forms are so annoying!!!! It is worse when the offender is actually a Show Secretary themselves!!!! I do trim the entry forms to correct size, and have been known to put the trimmed bits in the return envelope, with a note saying that I do not need these bits! An entry form in the middle of an A4 sheet? Groan!!!!!!!!

I wonder if these people consider how you can manage 1000 entry forms of varying sizes..........

I posted the exhibit numbers for Yarra Glen double shows earlier this week, and I am still getting phone calls from people wanting to enter!! "But it is vital that I enter these shows" Duh???? How many ways can you say NO! These shows are now 9 days away.

My rant over now!!! LOL

My personal best so far was to get the envelopes round the wrong way and to send the entries to myself.

Oh i can so relate to this :laugh: but mine took around 3/4 days to come back, when i saw the envelope i just thought phew i must have got mine in just in time ,.....and that sec is right on the ball doing everything ;) and talk about confused when i opened the envelope :laugh: just kept telling myself i was bloody irish :laugh:

I posted the exhibit numbers for Yarra Glen double shows earlier this week, and I am still getting phone calls from people wanting to enter!! "But it is vital that I enter these shows" Duh???? How many ways can you say NO! These shows are now 9 days away.

:rofl:

Sorry but :rofl: .

Oh i can so relate to this :laugh: but mine took around 3/4 days to come back, when i saw the envelope i just thought phew i must have got mine in just in time ,.....and that sec is right on the ball doing everything ;) and talk about confused when i opened the envelope :laugh: just kept telling myself i was bloody irish :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Yep...Irish AND Scottish here....express posted entries for a Royal as I had to wait until payday and was cutting it a little fine with closing date, addressed it at the PO in a hurry...and was so delighted to see an express envelope in my mailbox only two days later, wow what amazing service the EKKA must have........

Heart sinks as I look at the handwriting....MY OWN !!! the stamped self addressed envelope was of course neatly inside the package :laugh:

fifi

eta maybe I should make some copies and put in the return address envelopes of the people who obviously can't be bothered to do it correctly. :rofl:

Unfortunately, this still doesn't say about cutting the forms to the correct size! I was lucky, because at my first show the catalogue said "entry forms must be trimmed to correct size" and I texted a more experienced showie going "what do I have to do!??"

Picked up the envelope and thought "gee that Secretary receipts numbers quickly" :o:doh::o

I've done that too. :o

Unfortunately, this still doesn't say about cutting the forms to the correct size! I was lucky, because at my first show the catalogue said "entry forms must be trimmed to correct size" and I texted a more experienced showie going "what do I have to do!??"

well if I decide to do it again next year I will have that and more in the schedule: entry forms must be filled in correctly and trimmed to the correct size and maybe the link to the sample. Though the same ones will continue to do as they please. Wonder what they will do if clubs stop holding shows cause they can't find a person stupid enough to be the show secretary.

well if I decide to do it again next year I will have that and more in the schedule: entry forms must be filled in correctly and trimmed to the correct size and maybe the link to the sample. Though the same ones will continue to do as they please. Wonder what they will do if clubs stop holding shows cause they can't find a person stupid enough to be the show secretary.

Add "incomplete entries will be returned". That should motivate some attention to detail. :)

Edited by Telida Whippets

Guess I got very lucky to get one of my late entry in!! :laugh:

I was expecting it to be sent back but to my surprise the cheque was cleared! At least my new addition can have his first show next week, a month overdue!!!

Thank you and very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I am most time good when it comes to entries, always on time, and spot on with my entries and always double checking before they are sealed up to be posted! There had been times when I ripped open the envelope to double check something, and in the process wasted a stamp for nothing as I didn't miss anything! So paranoid!!

I agree, it's not hard to get everything right and double check, but it baffles me how mistakes can still be made! Been showing for 3 years and not one complaint from a Secretary!! I must be doing something right!! :thumbsup:

I guess we all have our pet peeves. Mine is "chatting". I work full time in a demanding career, and have 7 dogs and a property to look after. I have time to answer a question, I do not have time to listen to the cute thing that BooBoo did, or long winded reasons why someone wants a favour. Either I can do something in compliance with the regs or I can't. 9 times out of 10, it is dependent on how far show arrangements have progressed, not whether you were in Africa saving starving babies and missed the gazette, or whatever.

I far prefer email, because that way I can get to it in my own time and both the exhibitor and I have a record of what was agreed.