Ok To Advertise Puppies In The Classifieds?

puppies online classifieds ok or not?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok for an ANKC registered breeder to advertise their puppies in online classifieds?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe - depends why
    • other

Just because you advertise does not mean you are 'breeding for demand'. As stated, perhaps you had a big litter and dont have suitable homes for all of them. Perhaps you did have what you thought were suitable homes, but for some reason they decide not to get a pup from you (got one elsewhere, change of circumstance etyc etc ) , perhaps most of your waiting list want girls and you have lots of boys. Perhaps there is just one pup likely to be available. Perhaps you just want people to know you exist and are an option even if you dont have pups available right now but may in future.

Making things hard does not necessarily correlate with the value a person puts on things. And making things hard can also mean people 'give up' because it is just too difficult and go the easy route - those backyard breeders and puppy farmers and pet shops that ARE easily accessible. People can spend lots of time and money on things but a little while down the track 'forget' that part. It is not about how hard or easy it was to buy, but the personality of the person doing the purchasing.

For most people, while they love their dog and it becomes a valued member of their family they are not 'dog obsessed' to the point of people that inhabit forums such as this one and spend a big portion of their life on a 'dog hobby'. Doesn't mean that these people and families love or value their dogs any less. To say that is doing these ordinary dog owners a disservice and smacks of snobbery. They deserve to know their options and for that reason advertising in the places they are likely to look makes sense.

JMHO!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you advertise does not mean you are 'breeding for demand'. As stated, perhaps you had a big litter and dont have suitable homes for all of them. Perhaps you did have what you thought were suitable homes, but for some reason they decide not to get a pup from you (got one elsewhere, change of circumstance etyc etc ) , perhaps most of your waiting list want girls and you

have lots of boys. Perhaps there is just one pup likely to be available. Perhaps you just want people to know you exist and are an option even if you dont have pups available right now but may in future.

Making things hard does not necessarily correlate with the value a person puts on things. And making things hard can also mean people 'give up' because it is just too difficult

and go the easy route - those backyard breeders and puppy farmers and pet shops that ARE easily accessible. People can spend lots of time and money on things but a little while down the track 'forget' that part. It is not about how hard or easy it was to buy, but the personality of the person doing the purchasing.

For most people, while they love their dog and it becomes

a valued member of their family they are not 'dog obsessed' to the point of people that inhabit forums such as this one and spend a big portion of their life on a 'dog hobby'. Doesn't mean that these people and families love or value their dogs any less. To say that is doing these ordinary dog owners a disservice and smacks of snobbery. They deserve to know their options and for that reason advertising in the places they are likely to look makes sense.

JMHO!!

Fabulous post!

For most people, while they love their dog and it becomes a valued member of their family they are not 'dog obsessed' to the point of people that inhabit forums such as this one and spend a big portion of their life on a 'dog hobby'. Doesn't mean that these people and families love or value their dogs any less. To say that is doing these ordinary dog owners a disservice and smacks of snobbery. They deserve to know their options and for that reason advertising in the places they are likely to look makes sense.

JMHO!!

:thumbsup:

I guess I have the RSPCA for my view on it. Not that I agree with them on everything.

Because they say to avoid classified ads... etc.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-responsible-companion-animal-breeder_327.html

and

http://kb.rspca.org.au/How-do-I-avoid-supporting-puppy-farms_325.html

and

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-puppy-farm_322.html

Puppies from puppy farms are sold through the internet, newspaper ads, pet shops or sometimes at the puppy farm itself. Puppy farms may also use a house as a 'shop front' to sell their animals from so you don't get to see the poor conditions they breed dogs in.

So you can see how those of us who do some research before getting a dog can be put off by classifieds. But I think maybe things are changing now as more and more people do their research and shopping on the net and maybe these RSPCA pages should be updated.

When people ask me where to get a dog or puppy - I say petrescue.com.au or find the breed club in your state and visit one of their events, or go to a dog show and talk to people. So that would rule out breeders that are not in the breed club or don't show. I got mine from AWL. Farm dog bitsa.

Dogs that end up at the pounds, don't usually bring their papers with them. I don't know if the microchip databases link up their pedigrees either. As best I can tell - all sorts of dogs end up at the pound, though there does seem to be a lot of staffy types and bitsas and farm dog bitsas.

Not pointing at anyone on DOL...but if they're a registered breeder...does that even mean they're gonna be a good owner? Or are a good breeder? ;)

:confused: sorry not sure what you are asking?

I don't really know actually. I've lost the train of thought sorry :o

Ummm. I think what I'm meaning is.. Saying that people who buy from BYBs are bad owners because they don't buy a registered dog...is like saying that all registered breeders are good breeders.

Reading what I just wrote though, I don't think that really works in this thread :o

I think more ethical breeders should advertise on petlink/gumtreee/trading post etc, puppy buyers are going there in thousands, so why not target them??

We want more people to buy registered puppies, it makes sense to list/sell them where thousands of puppy buyers already go.

Of course you still do the normal checks etc, it's just a different place to advertise.

This!

Unfortunately it probably makes for a few more loonies and time wasters to sift through, but in the end I think it's probably worth it. If a lovely home who just doesn't know any better goes on Gumtree or the trading post, sees Registered breeders on there and subsequently gets a pup through them as opposed to BYB, that's a good thing.

Not pointing at anyone on DOL...but if they're a registered breeder...does that even mean they're gonna be a good owner? Or are a good breeder? ;)

:confused: sorry not sure what you are asking?

I don't really know actually. I've lost the train of thought sorry :o

Ummm. I think what I'm meaning is.. Saying that people who buy from BYBs are bad owners because they don't buy a registered dog...is like saying that all registered breeders are good breeders.

Reading what I just wrote though, I don't think that really works in this thread :o

But no one is saying that people who buy from BYBers are bad.

Personally I think people who by from BYBers or puppy farms usually just havent done enough research and probably dont realise how great it can be buying from a good registered breeder.

I know of people who have known better and still bought a puppy farmed dog or BYB dog and those people do annoy me!

I guess I have the RSPCA for my view on it. Not that I agree with them on everything.

Because they say to avoid classified ads... etc.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-responsible-companion-animal-breeder_327.html

and

http://kb.rspca.org.au/How-do-I-avoid-supporting-puppy-farms_325.html

and

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-puppy-farm_322.html

Puppies from puppy farms are sold through the internet, newspaper ads, pet shops or sometimes at the puppy farm itself. Puppy farms may also use a house as a 'shop front' to sell their animals from so you don't get to see the poor conditions they breed dogs in.

So you can see how those of us who do some research before getting a dog can be put off by classifieds. But I think maybe things are changing now as more and more people do their research and shopping on the net and maybe these RSPCA pages should be updated.

When people ask me where to get a dog or puppy - I say petrescue.com.au or find the breed club in your state and visit one of their events, or go to a dog show and talk to people. So that would rule out breeders that are not in the breed club or don't show. I got mine from AWL. Farm dog bitsa.

Dogs that end up at the pounds, don't usually bring their papers with them. I don't know if the microchip databases link up their pedigrees either. As best I can tell - all sorts of dogs end up at the pound, though there does seem to be a lot of staffy types and bitsas and farm dog bitsas.

Well that's excellant - people who believe the SPCA spiel will go looking in other places and hopefully find an ethical breeder there and people who don't will look on trading post & gumtree and hopefully find an ethical breeder there. I have had 4 litters in Australia, 1 was only 2 pups, 1 stayed, 1 already had a home, the other 3 I advertised on gumtree, trading post & DOL. sold more pups through the first 2 than DOL but 2 of the 3 litters I did sell one pup through DOL so all places were worthwhile to me.

I don't have a waiting list, I have never (30+ years) had a waiting list. People who phone are told when pups are likely to happen and if they are still interested/keen/looking when pups come along then they start getting sussed out. This is pet pups of course, show potential pups are usually booked 3-5 years ahead because very few of them get pried out of my grasp :laugh: Could well be different with a less common breed.

When I was a kid my family found our irish terriers and our kerry blue out of the newspaper classifieds. No internet back and my dad wouldn't have known anything about the ANKC then so question to the OP: how would we have found our dogs if not for the classifieds?

Way before the internet it was common to see Breeders with signs proudly displaying their kennel Prefix and Breed outside their properties. Breeders adds featured in the newspapers constantly.

It was a different time and how things have changed, it is almost like Breeders have been driven underground, certainly we do not see them so proudly visible. Security risk are one reason for sure, but there are others that just make me shake my head.

What a shame it is has come to this.

in my breed, greyhounds, very very few people are aware they can be bought as puppies. And it's really hard to get a pup from show or race bred dogs. Show bred are few and far between, and race bred aren't sold normally to people as pets. I do direct people to the race bred pups listings but the starting price is often $2000.

No breed club for greyhounds and not many showing so advertising is the only way to go.

I voted yes. How else are the general public going to be able to get hold of a quality puppy? So many people don't know where to look 'cept for the papers or places like Gumtree.

IMO it doesn't matter where you advertise, it's how you vet the people that counts.

Ditto

A lot of the public do not know how to contact breeders.

I honestly think that the ANKC should be advertising their/and state controlling bodies websites, contact details etc. The more aware the public is the better it will be.

Leanne

I voted yes. How else are the general public going to be able to get hold of a quality puppy? So many people don't know where to look 'cept for the papers or places like Gumtree.

IMO it doesn't matter where you advertise, it's how you vet the people that counts.

Ditto

A lot of the public do not know how to contact breeders.

I honestly think that the ANKC should be advertising their/and state controlling bodies websites, contact details etc. The more aware the public is the better it will be.

Leanne

So true!!

If people don't know about it they're not gonna look for it.

When I was young, just left home, and looking for my first dog I only wanted a borzoi or an afghan. I couldn't find any borzoi, had never heard of the canine council, and found my afghan via an ad in the Trading Post. I was screened as a buyer, which was also something I'd never heard of, and the breeder provided full support and stayed in contact.

Nearly 20 years on I still know and am friends with that breeder, and have since become involved in lots of other dog stuff. It was a doorway to a bigger dog world for me...

But there are huge numbers of people who want an "instant puppy", and classifieds or pet shops is where they go to look. Should we be providing quality dogs for these people or leaving them to the breeders with no code of ethics?

That's true... I think educating them is probably best for dogs in general...

When I was little, we got a little mutt (Poco - Maltese X Silky Terrier) from a BYB eek1.gif because we didn't think there was anything wrong with it...we even bred from her because she had such a good temperament :o I wouldn't do that now - I know better ;)

But back then, we didn't know better and it didn't mean we loved her any less...geez I used to pretend we were getting ready for a show so I trotted her around on her lead and brushed her and stuff... And now my little brother is her new pet laugh.gif

So yeah..people would probably get a quality dog if they had the option, but a lot of people may not even realise there's a difference between BYBs & Registered Breeders...

Well, yeah, before you were educated, not even you knew it! Im lucky as I grew up in a show home, so I have always known the difference, but i know that to the majority of the general public, a dog is a dog, a pedigree dog is a fancier version. However, most do not understand the differences between main/limited registers, registered breeders with ANKC and so called 'registered breeders' who are simply registered with the council. The number of times you hear 'oh she's a pure-bred, i just don't have the papers' should tell you. The public is spoilt for choice and unfortunately dogs are just another commodity and in most cases price is a big factor. Luckily there seems to be an increase in conversation, and education in the general public surronding pedigree dogs (some good, some bad, but at least there's talk i suppose). And because of the media outcry against puppy farms, a lot of people are turning away from pet stores, etc, and know to buy from a reputable breeder. Ive personally seen puppy farmers, designer dog breeders, and backyard operations with cross-breeds all advertising claiming registration from councils and whole host of other organisations) and with so many people claiming to be registered that confusion reigns supreme. So yes I believe being in the same forums with them is good, because your out there in the public sphere. Not many people know HOW to find a reputable breeder, don't know about dogzonline, or even the name of the ANKC.

she's a purebred *oodle and I have the papers
is even more weird to hear.

I guess I could make up papers for my dog too.

I noticed dogs vic - has a how to buy a puppy description on their website. They are a bit biased towards the purebreds - can't think why but it's a start.

I would like if my dog club website had something that came up when people type "puppies for sale" into their favourite search engine.

I think that's half the trouble - what do people type into their search engine when they're looking for a puppy and what comes up?

The other half is defining what a puppy farm is well enough to stop them. But still be able to supply deserving homes - their new puppy or dog.

I guess if it was easy it would be done already but I do think we can do better.

Read the PETA website, the direction this group of radicals wish to go, they state that NO ONE should ever breed a litter of dogs until there is no dog in a rescue centre....... sheese!!!!!

Just imagine a world where this could became law...... in 10-15 years there would be no dogs.......... double sheese!!!!!!!

The pedigree dog fraternity need to advertise - in many forms and as often as possible - its not just about selling puppies - it is about getting the world of pure bred dogs back to the public.

Once upon a time when a family was spending a day out they might have wandered down to the local park where they would see a dog show in operation. Box Hill, Croydon, Avondale Heights, Whittlesea where many of the burbs I used to trek to. Families would stand and watch the variety of beautiful animals strut their stuff, they could chat to the breeders and learn more about the qualities and pitfalls of their favourites. Many a family would remember these breeds when the time came to choose their next dog. However nowdays most dogs shows are held behind the public arena at KCC park and Bulla (in Victoria anyway) – when does the general public get to see the variety of pure bred.

These days I don't show, I don’t have the time nor the inclination - but I do breed - Does this make me any less valid than any other breeder who is breeding for shows?

I might be different to the show breeder, but that doesn't mean my dogs cannot go in the ring, but there are so few NEW people who want to show and why would the existing people go outside their own.

But I love to raise pups, to build their confidence and then send them out to homes where families have the chance to experience a healthy beautiful dog. We promote our dogs by being out in public with them - markets, expos cafe, beaches demos, we health test including DNA and we run classes for families and every litter end up with a pup or two going locally where we get to watch them grow and develop.

So advertise not only your puppies but show your adults in the public arena – educate on the qualities of your breed whenever you get the chance., go to cafes, beaches, take your dogs to visit hostels or just taking your dog to the kids local footy match. You can put a huge banner on your front fence, anything to show how proud you are of your breed.