A Great Story About A Little Ses Corgi

Staffyluv

How cool is this...

Story

Australia’s first corgi SES tracking dog has earned praise from the Queen.

With her ears rigidly vertical and her tail cocked to attention, there’s something about Manhon that says, “Every inch of me is ready for action.” “I purchased her sight unseen,” says SES volunteer Glenys Nottle, from Albany, WA, of the four-year-old dog that has just qualified as the first corgi tracking dog in the State Emergency Service anywhere in Australia.

What the pooch lacks in size she makes up for with smarts. In one recent challenge, Manhon tracked a scent for five kilometres! “She may be only 25cm tall, but Manhon’s nose does all the talking,” winks Glenys.

So grand are Manhon’s achievements, she has received a letter of praise from the greatest corgi lover of them all, the Queen. Glenys has spent more than 400 hours training her sniffer dog, when many said it couldn’t be done.

“She’s dynamite in the orange rescue jacket, but not so clever in other areas,” laughs Glenys. “She tries to trick you into thinking she’s finished eating by burying her food or dragging a tea towel over it… but I love her anyway.”

yes many breeds are incrediably good at it not just great danes.

we discovered our border collie x (i suspect) kelpie

could track anyone we set him too purely by accident. mum was asking where my brother was and scamp got so excited he began wining to us to follow him and he led us straight to him...

we discovered we could name whoever he knew and he would nose down follow them regardless of where they had gone.

it was only a step from that to show him a scent and ask him to follow.

we had a ball with that dog. gave hide and seek a whole new dimension.

What a pretty and clever little Corgi. When we were on a big farm I just had to say "Go find Dad" and my Collie would head over the paddocks and find him, very handy if he was needed at home. My two now are excellent trackers as long as it's tracking rabbits!

She's as pretty as she's clever. Great to see the smaller dogs, like a Corgi. working in rescue.

It's an advantage to be small, in some cases. An air crash disaster expert in the US has trained his 2 tibbies to go inside crashed planes (taking a camera lead). He says the smaller dogs can get thro' tangled wreckage, are lighter so they less displace stuff further & are able to get close to any survivor.

At first he said rescue services personnel would laugh when he'd turn up at practice sessions with 2 small dogs under his arms. Until they saw what the 'smallies' could achieve...

I bet this little Corgi might have experienced some of that, too....until she strutted her competent self! And changed minds. :thumbsup:

Edited by mita

Awesome :thumbsup:

I'd love to train my schip for this, like mita has said, small dogs are very good for getting into small spaces. Schipperkes played a big part in the 9/11 rescues, because they are small, great trackers, and very light on their feet. Good on the owner of the corgi for putting in such hard work into this little dog, great to see :thumbsup:

Awesome :thumbsup:

I'd love to train my schip for this, like mita has said, small dogs are very good for getting into small spaces. Schipperkes played a big part in the 9/11 rescues, because they are small, great trackers, and very light on their

That's interesting about the schipperkes' doing search & rescue work. I googled & found this US site.

http://www.sarschips.net/home-old.htm

The wonderful little corgi is a real trail-blazer, showing that the littlies can do it, too. And bring advantages with them.

I hope her achievements will encourage more use of small breeds.

I've just read in the Guardian newspaper, that there's a little Dachshund called Tara, who's been trained to sniff oil spills in Arctic circle conditions. Along with 2 Border Collies. The training program has been funded by Shell & has been carried out by Norwegian researchers.

Another smaller dog making its mark. What surprises me is the choice of a Dachie, with its short legs in those conditions. :)