Treat Bags For Training

MishB

If you find one count me in!

Meea

I am going to make it my mission to find these Doggone Good treat bags.

It makes me want it even more now they dont ship to Oz.It could get expensive looking through training supplies sites, I love shopping :)

If you can't find them let me know and I can always buy one from my obedience club for you when it starts up again in a couple of weeks and post it to you. Same with you Mea. :)

ETA: They have it here for $30 plus $7.20 postage and Dogwise have it for $17.99 plus $11 shipping. :)

And here http://www.aussieagility.com.au/productdetails/bait_rapid_rewards.htm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my pockets eek1.gif Beaudiful crazy.gif Don't want the visual cue that I have treats on me to be quite so apparent.

Ive tried putting mt treats in my pockets but I find that either a) I struggle to get them out b) they all fall out or c) I forget about them when I get home and end up with smelly jeans from leaving dog treats in them.

Mens trackie pants from Big W are the way to go - good sized pockets which are easy to get to.

The only thing I have ever refused to put in my pockets was raw sheeps brains sick2.gifBut Caffy did clap.gif

I have tried heaps of treat pouches but find the Premier bag the best by far, i have been using mine everyday for over a year now and its been fantastic much better than the black dog ones as the opening is bigger and the hinges are stronger (the hinges went on my black dog one). They sell them on ebay :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premier-Dog-Training-Treat-Pouch-bag-Terry-Ryan-FREE-POST-/270873833946?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f1156b1da

Another here who has abandoned treat pouches for training in favour of pockets, for the same reasons as Ptolomy, bedazzledx2 and kallistar. But I'm a bit of a wuss - I use zippy plastic snack bags - easy to leave the zippy bit open so you can get treats quickly. And easy to leave them around the ring for distraction training or jackpots (but do the tops up first :laugh:) . I do have a large Blackdog one that I use for going out for a walk - holds treats poo bags, phone, keys etc.

I have k9 pro one which is great, I also had a lovely lady make me up a couple made to measure as I wanted something a little smaller as I found the k9 pro one a bit too big for agility nights. They were custom made to what I preferred, so wipe out pocket, and a zipped back pocket for my keys. (www.pawsforthoughts.web.com)

I've had a jumbo Black Dog bag for 10 years, still going strong. Must be some sort of record. I mostly use that for group classes, holds a lot of food that would be impractical in pockets. Another option is a $4 bait belt from the fishing section of Big W or K-mart, especially if it's sloppy stuff.

Current dog is a ball fiend, and I find myself just leaving my cycling jersey on when I get home. Nice pockets in the back to hide a couple of balls or tugs.

:rofl:yes you haven't made it as a trainer till you stick raw chicken necks in your pockets - isn't that right Ptolomy :laugh:. I bought a premier one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks before it broke. Not sure if it was just a faulty model or what but I wasn't impressed.

Correction; until you have put something utterly disgusting in your pockets and then forgotten about it for a day or two :vomit:

I tend to find a vest is better anyway. Less fiddly and more places to put food/balls/tugs/clicker/tracking articles etc.

:rofl:yes you haven't made it as a trainer till you stick raw chicken necks in your pockets - isn't that right Ptolomy :laugh:. I bought a premier one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks before it broke. Not sure if it was just a faulty model or what but I wasn't impressed.

Correction; until you have put something utterly disgusting in your pockets and then forgotten about it for a day or two :vomit:

A day or two? How about after it's been through the wash? :rofl: :rofl:

One of the good things about a cold winter is that treats don't go disgusting in your pockets. Even if you leave them there a few days (I'm talking cheese, cabanossi) they seem to just turn into hard little still-usable treats :laugh:

Another vote for pockets here. My pockets are pretty stained from containing treats, but they are pants especially for training so I don't care!

I often find dried up bits of treats in the pockets. Sometimes the following winter when I get my training jacket out, I will find poo bags and manky, dried treats from last year!

:rofl: yes you haven't made it as a trainer till you stick raw chicken necks in your pockets - isn't that right Ptolomy :laugh:. I bought a premier one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks before it broke. Not sure if it was just a faulty model or what but I wasn't impressed.

Ditto re chicken necks, but I use semi raw steak. The bloody pockets tell the story, slimey on inside and out.

Lmao thats so making me want to go back to pockets NOT :laugh:

:rofl: yes you haven't made it as a trainer till you stick raw chicken necks in your pockets - isn't that right Ptolomy :laugh:. I bought a premier one and it lasted maybe 2 weeks before it broke. Not sure if it was just a faulty model or what but I wasn't impressed.

Ditto re chicken necks, but I use semi raw steak. The bloody pockets tell the story, slimey on inside and out.

Lmao thats so making me want to go back to pockets NOT :laugh:

The first thing that I tell my friends is to get rid of bum bags. Then they come back with food in plastic bags, and yes Tassie, I tell them to get rid of the plastic bag, too noisy. I did try a plastic cup in my pocket, but kept hitting with my hand. So pockets it is.

And Ness I even grow a tail from time time, so have I made it as a trainer?

I guess the people who use pockets are all from a obedience trialling background - so we don't want the extra visual cue of a bumbag. I know its a trap newbies fall into as their dogs learn very quickly bumbag means treats no bumbag means.......

Another here who has abandoned treat pouches for training in favour of pockets, for the same reasons as Ptolomy, bedazzledx2 and kallistar. But I'm a bit of a wuss - I use zippy plastic snack bags - easy to leave the zippy bit open so you can get treats quickly. And easy to leave them around the ring for distraction training or jackpots (but do the tops up first :laugh:) . I do have a large Blackdog one that I use for going out for a walk - holds treats poo bags, phone, keys etc.

I have gone from using pockets to using a treat bag :laugh: I always forget the food in my pocket and I don't know how many jeans I have had with the pockets eaten. I blame Tilly usually :rofl: