Fang

ellz

Dear old Fang Greyhound (Dark Speed was his name in his "other" life) has crossed the Bridge.

Foster failure, benevolent dictator to anything smaller than him. Bedwarmer and couch hog extraordinaire. Yard protector, watch dog, possum hunter and master of zoomies. He was a loving and gracious hound but he had slowed down so very very much of late and I didn't think it fair to put him through another Hobart winter.

He didn't have to wear his muzzy (his wire muzzle which he hated more than anything on this earth - except for possums that is) for his last car ride or the walk across the lawn to the vet

and he peed on anything that would stand still for long enough for him to lift his leg and squeeze out a few almost invisible drops (but hey, HE knew he was peeing and that is all that matters!).

He was smiling as he slipped away and he wagged his tail for me when I whispered that I loved him.

He'll be missed A LOT.

Have fun over the Bridge old boy. Run free with Koda and the rest of your merry band of mad things. No more pain and no more bonechillingly cold days where even your PJs can't quite block the cold, just peace and warmth and comfort.

We'll catch up again one day and your boy will greet you with open arms and tears of joy.

We love you dear old boy. You're leaving a huge gap that nobody will ever be able to fill.

Thank you all. He was a lovely old boy. The vet was great and reminded me that I'd given him quite a few years more than he may otherwise have had. When I think about that, it makes me happy.

I think there always comes a time when you try to ignore it, but you know that it is for the best. Fangle hadn't adapted well coming back to suburbia after a couple of years running on 25 acres and he really battled through last winter. So when it got to the point where he wouldn't even lift his head when the car pulled into the driveway and he stopped singing for his supper....I knew that it was time to start thinking about nicer places and easier times for the dear old man.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...