Is It Acceptable To Leave Dog Stools On The Footpath?

ChloeEastwood

We have a lady who walks her dog on the footpath at the park over the road, her go always goes on the path AND SHE NEVER CLEANS UP!!! It really really bugs me, next time I see her I'm gonna have to say something as it means me and my dogs have to avoid the landmines! And the dog doesn't stop and go it will drop a piece a meter for 20 meters!!! Annoying

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a lady who walks her dog on the footpath at the park over the road, her go always goes on the path AND SHE NEVER CLEANS UP!!! It really really bugs me, next time I see her I'm gonna have to say something as it means me and my dogs have to avoid the landmines! And the dog doesn't stop and go it will drop a piece a meter for 20 meters!!! Annoying

She sounds identical to my neighbour across the road. She also scolds the dog for defecating whilst walking, like it had a choice.

I currently have a foster dog who is used to toileting on concrete and I actually think it is grosser. There is at least something organic about the pooing on the grass and given we have concrete pathways everywhere there has previously not been a problem with walking on a land mine in bare feet!

He never goes to the toilet when we walk but if he did and if it hit a public path I would be removing it immediately like I do with poo that might be done on grass. My poo, my problem.

I walk four dogs and I have no trouble picking up after any of them, it is mainly my male whippet who does it and I always have those packets of dog poor bags in my pocket. It is not anyone's favourite job, my dogs my responsibility; but people who don't do it make me sick. At our dog park it is like land mine city and they provide bags!!! People are just lazy :mad

I once looked after a dog that would give no signals when he wanted to go, he'd just stop when he needed, including once on the path of a major shopping and cafe strip and once in the middle of the road (he got dragged to the side of the road quick smart!). I can't believe that anyone would think it acceptable to not pick up on a footpath - ew! I always carry bags, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in my local park who does. To make it worse, the only bin available is right on the far side of the park from all the amenities and by a busy road with no footpath, which probably makes some people not bother, especially when it means walking through long wet grass and mud. To me it seems sensible that if you have a toilet block, playground, sports stand, footpath and carpark on one side of the park that it might be a good idea to provide a bin there as well, but the council apparently don't agree with me :( It also means that rubbish of various sorts tends to get left around.

When I was a kid we had a neighbour whose teenaged kid for some reason decided that the place for his bearded collie to relieve himself was our nature strip, and would actually walk him back and forth outside our place until the dog did his business. I have no idea what we had done to incur this, but it fortunately didn't last for very long. I wonder now whether my dad used the Letterbox Technique!

I once looked after a dog that would give no signals when he wanted to go, he'd just stop when he needed, including once on the path of a major shopping and cafe strip and once in the middle of the road (he got dragged to the side of the road quick smart!). I can't believe that anyone would think it acceptable to not pick up on a footpath - ew! I always carry bags, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in my local park who does. To make it worse, the only bin available is right on the far side of the park from all the amenities and by a busy road with no footpath, which probably makes some people not bother, especially when it means walking through long wet grass and mud. To me it seems sensible that if you have a toilet block, playground, sports stand, footpath and carpark on one side of the park that it might be a good idea to provide a bin there as well, but the council apparently don't agree with me :( It also means that rubbish of various sorts tends to get left around.

When I was a kid we had a neighbour whose teenaged kid for some reason decided that the place for his bearded collie to relieve himself was our nature strip, and would actually walk him back and forth outside our place until the dog did his business. I have no idea what we had done to incur this, but it fortunately didn't last for very long. I wonder now whether my dad used the Letterbox Technique!

The nerve of the pair. What's the Letterbox Technique?

Pardon my ignorance but I believe in my area which is Sutherland shire it is an offence to allow your dog to poo on street, path, nature strip whatever, and not pick it up. Fines apply. I thought this was brought in about 5 years ago. I always take pastic bags when I walk. In my area though there are many just plain ignorant disgusting people who allow there dogs to poo all over the footpath. I'm constantly yanking my two away so they don't step in anything. Really gives me the dirts. If I see the offending person I ask them why they don't carry bags. I'm becoming less tolerant of this as it seems to be on the rise. I guess it's a sad reflection of attitudes in general.

No it is not ok :mad

Today we went for a walk at a local park/beach that allows off leash dogs. The council has tried to get rid of the off leash rule and make it only on lead, people all petitioned against it and it didn't go through. Well today I saw why! We had to have our eyes glued to the ground to miss all the dog crap it was disgusting and everywhere. They have bags on all the bins too. People just ruining it for everyone else, I love going down there but after today don't really want to go back I just wanted the walk to be over and done with.

Pardon my ignorance but I believe in my area which is Sutherland shire it is an offence to allow your dog to poo on street, path, nature strip whatever, and not pick it up. Fines apply. I thought this was brought in about 5 years ago. I always take pastic bags when I walk. In my area though there are many just plain ignorant disgusting people who allow there dogs to poo all over the footpath. I'm constantly yanking my two away so they don't step in anything. Really gives me the dirts. If I see the offending person I ask them why they don't carry bags. I'm becoming less tolerant of this as it seems to be on the rise. I guess it's a sad reflection of attitudes in general.

No you are right.It is an offence in any council area and I beleive the fine is quite high.Problem is people don't give a rats and you are very polite to question people............I don't I wave a plastic bag in their face and make sure everyone in hearing range can hear me saying "Hey are you going to pick that up?!!!!!".Not picking up after your dogs is one of my pet hates :mad

No, and in our council area its illegal. Still doesn't stop people though, the footpaths, and sidewalks are littered with the stuff. The council occassionally sends a truck out and they do on the spot fining, but I ALWAYS pick up my dog's waste, even though I might find it uncomfortable to carry back home, or back to a bin if we are in a remote area. I hate walking along with the dogs, and the dogs stopping to smell it, for some reason they love all those scents!!!! (no accounting for taste lol)

I especially dislike it at the beach or in the bush, it ruins the moment for me. And I really dislike picking it up at showgrounds, actually I dislike picking up another person's dogs waste full stop. Once we were at a show, and had the misfortune to park right next to three or four different dogs poo. As most exhibitors are aware parking is mostly where you can get it, so rather than my dogs and us all walk through it, we picked it up. So there we were, just arrived at a showground, 6AM in the morning, picking up poo that didn't belong to me, some of it was absolutely rank, and was not as firm as it should be. I really feel for council workers in parks, cleaners in showgrounds, beach cleaners and anyone that has to do it for a living, when it is just SO easy to take a bag with you, and pick up your own.

Poo on the pavement drives me mad. I'm forever looking down and trying not to step in it.

My dogs always poop on the grass and i always pick it up. My only frustration is around here (Sth East Melb) none of the parks (even those that are HUGE) don't have bins.

This applies to the whole of NSW, it doesn't matter council area you are in

COMPANION ANIMALS ACT 1998 - SECT 20

Dogs defecating in public place

20 Dogs defecating in public place

(1) If a dog defecates in a public place:

(a) the owner of the dog, or

(b) if the owner is not present at the relevant time and another person who is of or above the age of 16 years is in charge of the dog at that time-that other person,

must immediately remove the dog’s faeces and properly dispose of them. Maximum penalty: 8 penalty units.

(2) Proper disposal includes disposal in a rubbish receptacle designated for the purpose by the local authority. It is the duty of a local authority for a place that is commonly used for exercising dogs (including an off-leash area) to provide sufficient rubbish receptacles for the proper disposal of the faeces of dogs that defecate in the place.

(3) This section does not apply when the dog is an assistance animal being used bona fide by a person with a disability to assist the person and the person’s disability makes compliance by the person with this section not reasonably practicable.

No it is not ok :mad

Today we went for a walk at a local park/beach that allows off leash dogs. The council has tried to get rid of the off leash rule and make it only on lead, people all petitioned against it and it didn't go through. Well today I saw why! We had to have our eyes glued to the ground to miss all the dog crap it was disgusting and everywhere. They have bags on all the bins too. People just ruining it for everyone else, I love going down there but after today don't really want to go back I just wanted the walk to be over and done with.

So basically that beach had turned into a giant litter box. Nice. I once went down to a local beach with a cousin and as we were settling in laying down on our towels enjoying the sun, slowly emerging due to winds was day old doggie doo from the sands right next to us. Needless to say we relocated and always kept one eye opened.

Travelling at one time, I stopped to excercise my littlies in a nice park. Took the bags with me and, of course, we had one more poo than I had bags with me. Popped the dogs in the car, collected another bag and went back. A Min Pin poop can take a bit of finding when the grass is in need of cutting so I'm wandering around looking and this nice friendly man came up and asked me 'had I lost something?' 'Just a dog poo!" Poor man mumbled something and hurried away. :laugh: