Small Animal Markets-bybs - Reg Breeders

pandypam

Hi

Grafton show soc is planning on holding small animal markets each month, this will include domestic animals.

There is a 156 long discussion going on at the moment on FB http://www.facebook.com/groups/240342079348017/.

I have been defending reg breeders and trying to get the message through to the many BYBs and their supporters on this site but it would be great if some good breeders were to add their comments as to why they wouldn't take their pups to flog at the local markets.

Thank you.

I've put my two bobs worth in, especially seeing that it is my council area considering allowing this....I am disgusted with it :eek: The mayor of Grafton is a friend of my OH's so I will be giving him an ear full when I see him next. :(

parklea markets near me has been selling pups for years at at least 2 stalls, and one has very exotic pups, bostons, chi's, cresties, BB.

Its an aweful site to see them in cages being poked all weekend.

They should be legislating against this rather than going after how people bloody advertise - its a world gone mad and a disgrace to any council in this day and age who allows it to happen.

Thanks, Its impossible to get through to them !, they seem to think they are doing nothing to contribute at all to the unwanted domestic animals situation and are more then happy to take them along to a market or pet shop.

Lots of personal attacks happening now please add your comment to as I cant speak for any breeders only to say that alot do the right thing where as BYBs all do the wrong thing imo

http://www.facebook.com/groups/240342079348017/

Partially vaccinated or completely unvaccinated pups being handled by members of the public and no doubt with other adult dogs on site on the day.

Best recipe for a parvo outbreak I could come up with. Talk about a high risk environment.

Nice work council. :(

If rangers turned up to check every pup for sale for a microchip, things might be interesting though. ;)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I would be interested to know just how many people turn up and how many animals are available for sale and actually get sold.

Will you go Pandy?

I hope the RSPCA do turn up just because it might scare some away, although we all know what a toothless tiger they are, certainly many members of the general public don't.

I would be interested to know just how many people turn up and how many animals are available for sale and actually get sold.

Will you go Pandy?

I hope the RSPCA do turn up just because it might scare some away, although we all know what a toothless tiger they are, certainly many members of the general public don't.

I won't be going...& I will no longer support the rest of the market if this goes ahead :mad

Seems that the RSPCA has been stating their concerns to the Show Society. Even though the sale of puppies & kittens in markets is covered in NSW law as legal (along with pet shops). However, the RSPCA says that there could be breaches of current welfare laws that they could find (as others have suggested in this thread).

http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/story/2012/04/19/rspca-scrutinies-pet-sales-grafton/

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the RSPCA, registered breeders' group, rescues and a consumers' group, combine to put on a Responsible Adoption Awareness Program at a Small Animal Market, like this one. Where information and guidelines are given to the public.... on responsibly adopting puppies, kittens or mature age dogs & cats. Which would also explain why none are available for adoption, at this market day.

(A perfect world is one where pigs would fly.)

There already are quite fair guidelines on how to buy a puppy or dog, ethically....set out by an independent body, CHOICE (formerly Australian Consumers' Association). Maybe the Grafton Show Society could have a look at them to see that 'markets' aren't among the advised sources.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/backyard/pets/buying-a-dog.aspx

Edited by mita

Oh dear. I can think of a no more stressful situation for any animal than to be carted to a market, stuck in a cage or confined space for several hours on display and exposed to all those different hands and noises, probably in the heat. How does that have an animal's best interests at heart? I wont even take my dogs to my small local market for a walk because I think it is sensory overload.

This is really an archaic way to sell any small animal and it has to encourage people looking for an easy way to make money. That we don't need.

Its an absolute disgrace - 50 times more risky and worse than any pet shop . At least a pet shop is stationary and you can find them again and have a base to lodge a complaint etc these people race in sell the dogs and disappear.

Shocking.

The new Inverell livestock markets had a heap of pups in boxes turn up, I had to walk away...just couldn't bear it. and the local FB sell,swap & buy group is wall to wall byb :(

I try to educate where I can, but either hostile or deaf ears.

as someone said, it does feel like we are going backwards.

fifi

I wonder what the Dpt of Fair Trading would say about any responsibility to consumers that organisers of markets have....re actions of sellers & condition of 'products' (small animals in this case). There are consumer rights in relation to dealings with stores and companies. But what about markets?

Seems markets are covered. It says market stall holders must supply certain information about 'products' to consumers. Also covers use of names & business names & when to register with Dpt of Fair Trading.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Businesses/Specific_industries_and_businesses/Market_stall_holders.html

Edited by mita