Joint Support

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement for an 11 yr old sibe (ex rescue who is staying with us while her owners are OS - and yes, they do approve of me putting her on a supplement :) ).

I notice when she's getting up she's a bit stiff on her back legs. (athritis). Especially when it's cold. :(

I am looking at these 3 (see links below) and hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have used any of these products and what success you've had.

Blackmores paws osteocare

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221004625254&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Joint guard

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780535477?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Or this human grade one made by herbs of gold

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/joint-support-health-supplements-glucosamine-chondroitin-msm-by-herbs-of-gold.html

I am thinking I am going to go with the Paws one, but just wanted to see what other's thought first, especially those that have used it.

Oh and for those that do use a human grade gluc/chond/MSM supplement - which one do you use?

Thanks in advance. :)

I still think Glyde is the best one available for a symptomatic dog. Overkill if just used as a preventative treatment for an active dog though.

The one's with just glucosamine and chondroitin wont give much immediate relief as the ones with green lipped muscle added. Jury is still out on MSM (hence why it isn't listed as an active ingredient)

How about also considering the Pernease Powder or the VAN Joint Formula? Both have GLM.

I have had a lot of success with Paw Osteosupport Joint care powder for dogs. It comes in capsule form - 80 or 150 per container, and I open up one capsule and sprinkle over the evening meal. For a dog under 25kg ( I use it for my Jack Russell), it is one capsule per day, and over 25 kg, 2 capsules per day. It is tolerated well by my dog with arthritis and really seems to have made a difference to her level of mobility. Perhaps have a read and see if it would suit?

This is the information from the stuff I have been using for awhile. from "naturalscienceca" on ebay

GLUCOSAMINE FORMULATION FOR DOGS

From Natural Science

NOTE: PRODUCT IS SENT FROM AUSTRALIA

SHIPPING IS US$15 WORLDWIDE; US$10 WITHIN AUSTRALIA.

Bulk Product - Up to a Year's Supply (see table below)

Powdered Product. Sprinkle on food or dissolve in water

Each 2 grams contains 1500 mg Glucosamine HCl, 400 mg MSM, 80 mg Ascorbic acid, 6 mg elemental manganese (as sulfate)

No fillers, almost tasteless, completely water soluble

Pharmaceutical grade ingredients manufactured under GMP

New product direct from manufacturer

Optimised Formulation for Dogs

Many dogs suffer from joint pain, which is very similar to that suffered by people. Some dogs breeds such as Labs, Golden Retreivers, Bloodhounds, St. Bernards, Boxers and Rottweilers are particularly predisposed to arthritis due to age-related cartilage degeneration. The most common form of arthritis in dogs, especially the breeds mentioned above, is osteroarthritis. Osteoarthritis in dogs is a slowly progressing disease that occurs due to the breakdown and destruction of your dog's cartilage. As it gets worse, the bones begin to grind against one another causing pain, reducing flexibility, increasing inflammation, and reducing mobility. Another common form of arthritis in dogs is something known as “Canine Hip Dysplasia” or CHD. This is a painful and crippling disease that results in a weakened hip joint in dogs that causes painful inflammation and decreased flexibility. Many vets now recommend glucosasmine for both osteoarthritis and CHD. CHD not only impacts the hip joint but also the knee, shoulder and spinal joints. Symptoms of CHD and those of osteoarthritis are very similar and glucosamine has been shown to be beneficial for both conditions.

Glucosamine can greatly benefit a dog's joint health and ensure that they are mobile and active. Glucosamine is found in cartilage and synovial fluid and is a normal constituent of your dog's glycosaminoglycans, which form part of the ground substance of connective tissue found throughout your dog's body. The majority of clinical studies on the impact of glucosamine on joint health in dogs has been carried out using glucosamine hydrochloride, the form chosen by Natural Science and used in our formulation for dogs. MSM has an established history of benefit for decreasing inflammation in animals, including dogs and horses, and so is provided in combination with glucosamine hydrochloride. As in humans, manganese and vitamin C have been shown to improve the clinical performance of glucosamine in osteoarthritis. Therefore, we also add these ingredients to our dog formulation. Recommended daily intakes are made to be consistent with the weight of your dog.

Arthritis Symptoms in Dogs

Symptoms of osteoarthritis and canine hip dysplasia in dogs are:

•For smaller dogs, yowling or grumbling when lifted or handled

•Lameness

•A lack of motivation to move

•Stiffness

•Increased sensitivity to touch

•A marked change of behavior

•A faint popping sound coming from the back legs with each step

•Difficulty getting up from a lying or sitting position

•While moving, moving both rear legs in unison

•Difficulty climbing stairs

•A painful or violent reaction to an extension of their rear legs

•Play or exercise taking more of a toll than it used to

•Reluctance to walk, climb stairs, jump, or play

•Hiding or disappearing from sight

•Whining or making noises for no other reason

Many dogs afflicted with osteoarthritis or hip dysplasia will likely have problems walking up stairs, slowness in rising, lameness after exercise and they can show personality changes due to their ever present pain.

Dosage Information

Natural Science Glucosamine Formulation for Dogs is provided as a powdered concentrate. There are no fillers used so that 100% of the powder is active ingredient. Therefore, dosing is relatively low and one container can last for a long time and is considered a bulk product. For example, for a relatively large dog of between 50 and 100 pounds one container of Natural Science's formulation will last for 170 days, or nearly six months. For a smaller dog of between 10 and 24 pounds one container will last for 340 days, or nearly a year. A reference chart for recommended daily intake per body weight is provided below. Give one serving per day to the dog. Serving size will vary as the weight of the animal increases. Each container has a table showing the number of scoops per day for your dog based on weight. One gram scoops are provided inside the container for convenient dosing. Powder can be sprinkled on dry or moist food, or mixed and dissolved in the dog's water dish. All ingredients are water soluble and relatively tasteless.

Dog Dosage Chart (one dose per day)

Dog's Weight

Total Doses

Recommended Daily Dose

0 - 10 lbs

680 Doses

1/2 scoop (1/2 grams)

10 - 24 lbs

340 Doses

1 scoops (1 grams)

24 - 49 lbs

226 Doses

1 1/2 scoops (1 1/2 grams)

50 – 100 lbs

170 Doses

2 scoops (2 grams)

100+ lbs

136 Doses

2 1/2 scoops (2 1/2 grams)

I am no expert...but this is what my vet told me after he did a lot of research...he says in comparing products of similiar ingredients it's the absorbtion rate that matters. He rates as No.1, product Cosequin DS....2nd is Sacha's blend and third Joint Guard. Just his opinion. I have been using Cosequin with my 8 year old who has a totally buggered shoulder and he is doing well on it. Expensive though !

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone. :thanks:

I have decided to give the Blackmores paws Osteocare a try first.

I am going to start 3 of my own dogs up on it too. (one's 7 yrs old, one's 10 and the other is 9).

I'll update in a few weeks time on whether I have seen any improvement with Jasmine's back legs. :crossfingers: (She's not crippled or anything - just a little slow to get up on her back legs sometimes). I will definately notice any improvement if we see any though.

Thr Paws one has been getting some good feedback at work. (But then, most brands we stock do).

I'm using Pernease Powder currently for my boy with badly formed back legs and early arthritis and that helps him wonderfully. His is only a moderate case though, and is likely to progress as he ages further, so I may try different brands later, if I see him in discomfort. When he had slight symptoms I started him on a plain glucosamine tablet which worked well at the time. Pearnease has been our second step.