Anal Gland Problem

iggy mum

Just done a search but can't find any posts that describe how you can tell if your dog has an anal gland problem. Are there specific signs?

[/quot

Yes...in our house as soon as he starts mining for diamonds down there we know it's time for off to the vet !! The constant licking is BAD LOL!!

Mmmmm. my foster, to my knowledge/eye doesn't show those signs, he doesn't lick his bum much, he doesn't scoot that I've seen, and about the fishy smell, I've got a bad sense of smell so I can't really tell. Why I asked is that he has, for want of a better explanation, a real sticky outy bottom, excessively so IMO, so was just wondering if it may have been a problem. He is an 11yo iggy so maybe due to lack of hair it may seem worse that it is.:confused:

I dont think it's because he's not hairy, I've seen his bottom and I think there's a bulge there, it's more between his anus and (now empty) scrotum. I wonder if it's the prostate gland bulging, do they bulge? I dont know but I have seen that bulge before on a whippet. Post a photo of it.

iggy mum, you should know who to ask when you have an issue of this kind - my vet tells me I'm the anal gland expert - dogs from all the pounds pick me as their rescuer just because they have a full botty - literally every dog I pick pretty much ... :D

I think Mupps has got what I call "old dog bottom". Nothing to worry about but doesn't look good esp on an old Iggy ...

I've got a dog with a problem right now, I rescued her with a very red, sore bottom as the glands had probably never been done. We've had them emptied about 4 times in 3 months - sometimes when they aren't cared for in this regard it does take a few months to get them working properly.

With my old Iggy, he had Inflammatory Bowel Disease and that also causes a.g. problems so they have to be done every few weeks ...

I think Mupps has got what I call "old dog bottom". Nothing to worry about but doesn't look good esp on an old Iggy ...

:rofl: I reckon that's what it is!! :eek: Poor old Mupster........ I think he's got a cute botty lol!!! :bottom::love:

BTW dogmad, I think he's got alopecia [sp?] too...

Hmm, a bulge between the anus and scrotum doesn't really seem in the right place to anal glands, to me? I check my dogs by holding their tail up with one hand, and just feeling at about 4 and 8 o'clock around the anus.. if you're holding the tail up and can feel a bit of a bulge there, those are the anal glands. It may be slightly different for different breeds though. I know poodles are prone to anal gland issues because of their anatomy and the gland placement - I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with where they are located, but for some reason they don't tend to get naturally "expressed" when pooing, as much as other breeds. :shrug:

"sticky outy bottom"

To me that reads like maybe one of these

a rectal prolapse - ie when the insides come out (a little bit or lots) - especially when the dog is crapping. A ewe with a prolapsed uterus is a scary thing to see.

a hernia. Ie some bit of dog is poking through some other bit of dog where it shouldn't. Humans get these too. The really bad ones are when some bit of the gut pokes through some weakness in the muscle wall. It will be ok until it gets stuck and then it's all manner of hell painful and bits start to die if it's not dealt with immediately - so these kind of things, best to see a doctor / vet as soon as you notice it and get it sorted before it becomes an emergency.

prostate - doesn't really match the problem as described ie it shouldn't poke out where you described according to the diagram on this page. But if it is enlarged - it can make both peeing and pooping difficult for the dog.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=914

:rofl: at Erny

My Iggy had problems a year or two back with an anal gland abscess, but there is no way you would be confused about that. It came up out of the blue almost instantly and then proceeded to burst, poor little thing. The vet operated to clean it out and tried to convince me to have them removed.

I have read that there can sometimes be complications, eg possible incontinence.

I now sometimes add grated carrot or bran to their food and have had no further problems, just hope it doesn't reoccur.

My dog had a problem with her Anal Glands only a couple of weeks ago. Noticed she was bum scooting the night before then in the morning she was just sitting looking rather sheepish. Tail up and i saw all the delights of a burst anal gland around her bum. Not knowing exactly what to do i cleaned her up and took her to the vet where they told me not much can be done. It had burst and as it was the only time in her life there was a problem they sent me home.

Before that day i had no idea there was any problem around that area.

Poor dog looked so uncomfortable for the next week.

He basically has a bulgy perineum.

I think that's the best sign it's not clearing itself (which if all is well it should do when he 'goes'). Scooting isn't really the best of indications, particularly for a Cavalier, who like to scoot for the sheer enjoyment of it!!

Last week the youngest had a sticky mess on her rear which means she cleared it herself, so just a wash and alls good. I always give them a bit of a massage and feel around to check when bathing. I've had one rupture once and it isn't nice for the poor dog. :(

My dog had a problem with her Anal Glands only a couple of weeks ago. Noticed she was bum scooting the night before then in the morning she was just sitting looking rather sheepish. Tail up and i saw all the delights of a burst anal gland around her bum. Not knowing exactly what to do i cleaned her up and took her to the vet where they told me not much can be done. It had burst and as it was the only time in her life there was a problem they sent me home.

Before that day i had no idea there was any problem around that area.

Poor dog looked so uncomfortable for the next week.

When my girls abcessed and burst they (Vets) put her antibiotics and then checked her 10 days later. All healed up. If they don't heal the vets told me often they have to go under GA and have them flushed as once a problem often it returns. Almost a year on and my girl has had no further problems.