'cold Tail'

poochiemama

Just to let people know about this problem - my dog came back from boarding kennels with a limp tail , couldn't move it. I was freaking out and took him to the vet, who thought maybe a door had closed on his tail or he'd somehow strained it. But after reading about it, I think it might be 'cold tail' - a condition very common in hunting breeds, and is a result of taking a bath and then being in the cold (the kennel had bathed him before sending him home), or overexertion or prolonged crating. It usually resolves spontaneously and with antiinflammatories. Charlie's tail is starting to wag more today, thank goodness.

Just thought I would let people know because it's quite scary and the vet started talking about maybe having to amputate his tail if he'd fractured it etc.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

I'm surprised the vet didn't know about it!!

Exactly i would consider changing vets if they didn't even think of that option first ,cold tail is very obvious in the way the tail hangs

It also occurs in dogs that swim,get wet in rain/sprinklers or any scenario & very common in Labs & goldies even if blow dried it can still happen .

One of my Labs has had it a few times over the years. I'm so glad I had read about it before she got it as it saved me freaking out which you could quite understandably do at the sight of it when you don't know what it is!

Rottweilers suffer too. Not all but some.

Yep, Radar and Feonix have both had it - one cold, stormy winter night when they decided to play in the rain instead of stay in their shelter, cold water tails for both of them by the next morning.