Instant Dog Coat Or Pajamas

dancinbcs

Just thought with these cold nights now I would share the instructions for my instant dog coats that are soft and comfy for dogs to sleep in. Mine rarely need them unless they are drastically out of coat or have an injury but if I need one I can make it in minutes.

You need a pair of track pants, old or new, that measure slightly stretched, the same around the top of the leg as your dog does around the chest behind the elbows. One pair of track pants makes 2 coats.

1. Cut the track pants in half, from the centre front to centre back so you have two separate legs.

post-14901-0-08638300-1340427100_thumb.jpg

2. Measure your dog and cut into a coat shape to fit. The outside leg seam goes along the dog's back and part of the inside leg seam is along the belly. You can leave more of it stitched for a bitch than a dog.

post-14901-0-58001300-1340427110_thumb.jpg

3. Slip over the dog's head, pull the front legs through and secure the chest with a safety pin or if you have time add a velco closure to front before putting it on the dog.

post-14901-0-95127700-1340427118_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't ever risk using a safety pin, you can't be too careful. My dogs roll and rumble and coats etc get displaced.

Mine just go to their own beds and sleep but if you have multi dogs that are likely to rumble, sewing a bit of velcro on solves the problem.

I wouldn't ever risk using a safety pin, you can't be too careful. My dogs roll and rumble and coats etc get displaced.

Use a Nappy Pin! It's got a "safety" cover.

I actually make coats for poddy lambs out of sleeves of old sweatshirts. I just cut the arm off and then cut a couple of holes for the front legs. The cuff at the wrist end is where the head comes out. Works well! I can find a photo if you like :D

I actually make coats for poddy lambs out of sleeves of old sweatshirts. I just cut the arm off and then cut a couple of holes for the front legs. The cuff at the wrist end is where the head comes out. Works well! I can find a photo if you like :D

Please do, that sounds RIDICULOUSLY cute, and would also be handy as an example of how to make a coat for puppies :)

Please do, that sounds RIDICULOUSLY cute, and would also be handy as an example of how to make a coat for puppies :)

Here you go :D

Day old lamb with sleeve jacket. Note this is a female lamb. If it were male I would cut it away further underneath.

post-5072-0-84905600-1340497860_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-69132700-1340497965_thumb.jpg

Here you go :D

Day old lamb with sleeve jacket. Note this is a female lamb. If it were male I would cut it away further underneath.

Another great idea and would work for small short coated dogs as well. I love the tracksuit material because it is soft, warm and doesn't fray so all you need to make these coats is a pair of scissors.

I used a bedsock as a coat for my first baby iggy LOL I could not find any coats small enough to fit her.

Nyx wearing my bedsock

6a1217b0.jpg

880b9c47.jpg

ETA the sock opening is around her neck, the heel area is where the leg holes are and I just cut the toes off the end of the socks. Took me 5 mins with a pair of scissors and she had 2 matching coats heh

Edited by indigirl

Cuteness overload!

Some great ideas and great timing. It's freezing at the moment! and my puppy has shown an interest in chewing his lovely dryzabone coat off (is there anything he won't chew, I ask you?)

Getting him used to something like this (softer, cheaper to replace if need be) is a great way to go.

Thanks!

So clever! I love the sleeve and bedsock ideas. I have trouble getting decent fitting coats for my littlies, even when custom - made. Brilliant. Isn't this "buy nothing new month"? Great start. There should be a recycling, upcycling thread somewhere!