Sick Border Collie Pup

Owey

Sorry Owey for your loss.

For such a simple inexpensive DNA test, it could all have been prevented.

I hope with the help of Dancinbcs you will be able to get a healthy happy puppy from a REPUTABLE registered breeder.

Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but there are a number of "breeders" who advertise on DOL puppy listings who are no better than BYB themselves. Breeding for colour and money and still will not fully health testing their breeding stock. Some even pumping litter after litter out each month.

Sad day for border collie world.

Yes Mystiqview, you make a very good point here. I always keep me eye on the puppy listings on DOL out of interest & just love looking at the puppies but I must say there are some 'breeders', one in particular,

(won't mention any names) they are never off the puppy page. ALWAY'S seem to have a litter on the ground, sometimes 2 & 3 litters at once. Must admit it did make me wonder about this breeders ethic's.

& yes it is a very sad day for the Border Collie world.

Edited by BC Crazy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sad to hear of this news :( I have been checking in regularly hoping against hope that it wasn't TNS and was in fact just some weird puppy illness making him unwell.

I have been following this thread from the beginning, too, and was hoping to see that it wasn't TNS and that Bailey would get over whatever it was making him sick.

RIP Bailey :rainbowbridge: , and hugs to his family. :grouphug: I really do feel for you.

I know I posted last night but I just can't get poor little Bailey and his family out of my head today. I am so incredibly sad that anyone has had to go through this and the suffering of poor Bailey. No one should ever have to go through this :(

Owey, you did everything you could and gave little Bailey everything you could in his short time with you and when the time was right made the best although most difficult decision for him.

I am another who has posted several times today & I too can't help but think of this poor littley & his devoted family who did all they could & it still wasn't enough to save him.

I walked my 2 BC's in the pouring rain this morning but am afraid my face wasn't wet from that :cry: Just so incredibly sad for all concerned.

Bailey, you put up a good fight...but the fight was never going to be a fair one.

For those that loved him just know what Bailey knew, that every day he spent with you he knew he was loved. :heart:

OMG - the outpouring from all of you has been overwhelming. Thank-you all for such kind wishes and thoughts, it really does help us in dealing with this. The whole experience has really been such a roller coaster ride. From the highest highs when we first got our brand new puppy in Bailey, then when he was (seemingly) better to the lowest lows of him getting so sick and then having to make those tough decisions as a family.

Yesterday, we decided to try and take all our minds of Bailey's ordeal and jumped in the car and headed out. We took the kids to the movies and then off on a bit of adventure. It's amazing the amount of things that happen and things you see in normal life that can trigger emotions of a lost puppy, but they're everywhere.

Personally, I hope that this thread can help to educate and assist anyone else before they have to live through such an experience. Although we only had Bailey a short time, it was so very heart wrenching to have to say good-bye to him. It's such a shame that for something so preventable as TNS, the breeder failed to do their homework on hereditary diseases. I wish I had done so much more research and knew what questions to ask the breeder at the time of purchase. This wouldn't have prevented Bailey's suffering of course but I still feel bad all the same.

We haven't been put off the breed, far from it, and we look forward to one day accepting another BC into our family, with the help of Dogzonline and Dancinbcs. We have, however, been put off BYB's and we won't be going back to one again.

Once again, a big THANKS to everyone who has helped us out, especially Dancinbcs, Judy from the BCC NSW, our local vets and Prof Peter Williamson at the University of Sydney. Thank-you also to all who contributed on this thread offering advice and a shoulder to lean/cry on. Without the this help we would have struggled on blindly and alone.

Bailey, Owey and family :grouphug:

:cry:What a sad end to what should have been such an exciting time for this little guy and his new family. Thank you Owey for loving him and taking care of him and coming to DOL for advice. I hope you will eventually feel you can give your heart and love to another puppy, they bring such joy to a home.

RIP Bailey :rainbowbridge:

I'm wondering, with permission from those concerned of course, whether this should be 'pinned' somewhere...to serve as an education point for those who drop into DOL for a look, when considering buying a puppy and just maybe think it would be okay to get a "cheaper dog" from elsewhere (as I myself have done in the past).

I'm wondering, with permission from those concerned of course, whether this should be 'pinned' somewhere...to serve as an education point for those who drop into DOL for a look, when considering buying a puppy and just maybe think it would be okay to get a "cheaper dog" from elsewhere (as I myself have done in the past).

I was thinking the same thing ........

I was thinking the same thing ........

I think that is a GREAT idea - and it isn't just about Border Collies, but ALL puppies!

Owey my heart breaks for you having to go through such an awful event as this. :cry: My deepest sympathies to you and the family. Bailey was a lucky little fellow in one respect - he had you guys to love him, and nobody could have loved him more in the few weeks he had. Big big hugs for you guys.

Good luck with the breeder; while of course money is not the object here, the breeder does not deserve to get away with what has happened here.

I have only just caught up with his thread. I am so very sorry for what you, your family and your little puppy have been and are going through.

People wonder why I am so pro health testing. In future I will also direct them here.

You have met such wonderful and knowledgable people here who I am sure can help you when you are ready.

RIP little man, run free forever, no more pain, no more sickness.

I'm another who has only just come across this thread.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. Not only the loss of Bailey, but also the recent loss of another family member too. :(

What should have been one of the happiest times of your lives, will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

RIP Bailey. Run free little man. :(

We would be happy to have the thread pinned. As I mentioned earlier on, if we can help someone else avoid this type of situation, it would be a small blessing.

:( I've been following this thread and am so sad for your family and your wee Bailey Owey.

I hope through this others can learn, some less committed breeders wake up and that the wonderful Border Collie folk that have been there for you, become your mentors & one day the path to a healthy baby when you are ready.

fifi

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey Owey. :cry:

My thoughts are very much with you.

My beautiful old Miss Emma will have met him at the rainbow bridge and she will take care of him, she was PTS 1 year before to the day of Bailey's passing (she always pretended to not like puppies but really she loved them and loved looking out for them!). :rainbowbridge:

BC's are a beautiful breed and there are wonderful breeders out there and I hope your family gets to experience the joy of them some time in the future.

Just remember you did everything you could for a gorgeous puppy. :heart: