Sick Border Collie Pup

Owey

Any news yet Owey on Bailey's test results? He's just so cute, I love the dark ones.

Nothing yet :( but fingers are still crossed. We had an email from Judy at the BCC and she said that she would get in touch with them to see where it is up to, which was really nice of her. :thumbsup:

Bailey is still improving, and is getting bigger now, which is great to see. And yes we think he is a cutie too! :D

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone,

Well we had Bailey back at the vet's yesterday morning, he seems to had a relapse with his paralysis. It started coming back on Monday. He was fine in the morning, playing with us, and then in the afternoon, he laid in his bed a whole heap but still able to walk. As the evening went on, the more strength he lost. By yesterday morning he wasn't able to stand. :(

The vet has increased the dosage of his medication but there doesn't seem to be any improvement so far. They said to give it 48 hours. He temperature was back up and his little heart was racing. He has been eating and drinking a little, but we have to hand feed him, and use a syringe for drink.

Unfortunately we thought we had gotten on top of his sickness, the 1st week after he was getting better, I was reminding the kids that "He's not out of the woods just yet". I guess after that I thought he WAS "Out of the woods", he seemed to be at full health. Now this!! :(

Still haven't had any results from the University. We emailed Judy from the BCC and she said she would get in touch with them. But I understand these things take time, and they have only just started doing it after taking over from NSW Uni, so all the procedures would yet to be in place.

Hopefully Bailey improves today. :crossfingers:

Hi everyone,

Well we had Bailey back at the vet's yesterday morning, he seems to had a relapse with his paralysis. It started coming back on Monday. He was fine in the morning, playing with us, and then in the afternoon, he laid in his bed a whole heap but still able to walk. As the evening went on, the more strength he lost. By yesterday morning he wasn't able to stand. :(

The vet has increased the dosage of his medication but there doesn't seem to be any improvement so far. They said to give it 48 hours. He temperature was back up and his little heart was racing. He has been eating and drinking a little, but we have to hand feed him, and use a syringe for drink.

Unfortunately we thought we had gotten on top of his sickness, the 1st week after he was getting better, I was reminding the kids that "He's not out of the woods just yet". I guess after that I thought he WAS "Out of the woods", he seemed to be at full health. Now this!! :(

Still haven't had any results from the University. We emailed Judy from the BCC and she said she would get in touch with them. But I understand these things take time, and they have only just started doing it after taking over from NSW Uni, so all the procedures would yet to be in place.

I was so hoping he would stay well until you got the test result and it is frustrating that this is happening in the middle of the testing being moved. Hopefully you will get a result soon so you know where you are at. Sadly the re-occurence is again so typical of TNS. :(

Hi everyone,

I was so hoping he would stay well until you got the test result and it is frustrating that this is happening in the middle of the testing being moved. Hopefully you will get a result soon so you know where you are at. Sadly the re-occurence is again so typical of TNS. :(

I emailed the University and hopefully the results will be available by the end of the week. The 1st stage of testing is complete and they are working through the 2nd stage now. In reality though, it isn't going to change much, we are just going to know that his days are numbered. At the moment he seems to be rather miserable, and it is sooo hard to see him like this. If he hasn't improved by tomorrow, we will have to look at having him PTS. :(

Hi everyone,

I emailed the University and hopefully the results will be available by the end of the week. The 1st stage of testing is complete and they are working through the 2nd stage now. In reality though, it isn't going to change much, we are just going to know that his days are numbered. At the moment he seems to be rather miserable, and it is sooo hard to see him like this. If he hasn't improved by tomorrow, we will have to look at having him PTS. :(

A wise decision I think, even if it is a heartbreaking one but it would be easier to make that decision if you had a definitive answer. Whatever is wrong, it is clearly something very serious and no puppy owner should be put through a nightmare like this at a time that should be so happy.

Hi everyone,

A wise decision I think, even if it is a heartbreaking one but it would be easier to make that decision if you had a definitive answer. Whatever is wrong, it is clearly something very serious and no puppy owner should be put through a nightmare like this at a time that should be so happy.

I am so saddened to hear of Bailey's relapse. It's just not fair for such a beautiful little fellow to have to go through this, all because of some BYB who doesn't test for the know BC diseases before breeding. I hope you get the test results back before you have to make that terrible decision.

Thinking of you & your family. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Hugs Owey, to you & your family. It is such a hard decision to make :( Please don't give up on border collies...they are great dogs & your next little pup will fill your families hearts with lots of joy. :)

Oh so sorry to hear Bailey has relapsed :(:grouphug: Such a terrible situation for your young family to go through especially when he appeared to be getting better.

Very sad situation for poor little Bailey :cry: So very unfair for all concerned. At a loss for words really. I'm going to find the tissues :o

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi everyone,

I am so saddened to hear of Bailey's relapse. It's just not fair for such a beautiful little fellow to have to go through this, all because of some BYB who doesn't test for the know BC diseases before breeding. I hope you get the test results back before you have to make that terrible decision.

Thinking of you & your family. :grouphug:

Couldn't agree more Luvsdogs.

It's just not fair for such a beautiful little fellow to have to go through this, all because of some BYB who doesn't test for the know BC diseases before breeding.

I couldn't agree more. Poor little guy. :(

All this suffering for the sake of some :swear: to line their pockets. It's just so cruel and must be so heartbreaking for all who love him to see him so unwell. :(

My thoughts are with you and your family Owey including beautiful little Bailey. :cry::grouphug:

I'm not really sure how TNS works, but if little Bailey does have TNS, does that mean his sister and brother would definitely have TNS also. If it is TNS, from what I understand, the Dam and Sire shouldn't be bred together again. The reason I ask is that the breeder has offered Bailey's brother if he was to be PTS, but we would be hesitant to take him without an all clear from them.

Hi everyone,

For you to even be able to say it out loud (so to speak) says to me that the poor little fellow is so lucky he landed in your lap, despite it being far from lucky for you all. Knowing that you have done all you can, despite what outcome prevails. Our kindest, best thoughts are with you and your family (including little Bailey of course) at what has been a most difficult time. Having to watch a playful puppy turn ill so drastically must be one of pet ownerships worst fears.

I'm not really sure how TNS works, but if little Bailey does have TNS, does that mean his sister and brother would definitely have TNS also. If it is TNS, from what I understand, the Dam and Sire shouldn't be bred together again. The reason I ask is that the breeder has offered Bailey's brother if he was to be PTS, but we would be hesitant to take him without an all clear from them.

I'm sure the odds would be that a sibling is also likely to either carry or have the condition if Bailey has it. I'm sure Dancinbcs or another BC breeder will be able to clarify this for you soon.

I am unsure how TNS works either but I WOULD NOT go near Bailey's breeder EVER again, not with a 10 feet pole IMHO. I would go to a Registered breeder then all those relevent health checks have been done for you.

dancinbc's or someone experienced like that will be able to fill you in on how TNS works Owey.

Edited by BC Crazy

I am unsure how TNS works either but I WOULD NOT go near Bailey's breeder EVER again, not with a 10 feet pole IMHO. I would go to a Registered breeder then all those relevent health checks have been done for you.

dacinbc's or someone experienced like that will be able to fill you in on how TNS works Owey.

Yes. A refund would be more appropriate I feel.