Sick Border Collie Pup

Owey

Oh No Owey, how awful for you and your family. :grouphug:

Poor little man :cry:

My labrador, Holly, died prematurely of a neurological condition which meant she slowly lost the use of her legs so I know how distressing it is to watch.

Thinking of you all.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not really sure how TNS works, but if little Bailey does have TNS, does that mean his sister and brother would definitely have TNS also. If it is TNS, from what I understand, the Dam and Sire shouldn't be bred together again. The reason I ask is that the breeder has offered Bailey's brother if he was to be PTS, but we would be hesitant to take him without an all clear from them.

No, it doesn't. If Bailey has TNS, then each of his siblings have a 25% chance of also having it, a 50% chance of being a carrier, and a 25% chance of being clear.

In the litter that we had with TNS, 2 pups were affected, 2 were carriers (and are both happy, healthy 6 year old dogs).

But you're right, the parents should never be bred together again.

At least the person who bred Bailey is trying to do something to help you out- I guess it's up to you whether you want to go with one of their pups, or wait a while before looking for a breeder who is aware of and tests for this sort of thing.

He is a very lucky boy to have your family in his corner :hug:

That's so true. He is such a lucky pup to have a family who love him so much, have made his short life so happy, are prepared to go the hard yards to work out what's going on, but also to make the hardest decisions of all for him.

Whether or not it is TNS, you are doing everything right by Bailey, none of this is your fault, and whatever you decide it will be the right decision for him.

It sounds to me like TNS and I am so sorry you, your family and this poor little guy is going through this.

DNA testing for TNS is not the most expensive of hereditary tests we have, in fact it was one of the cheapest, Dr Alan Wilton did a wonderful job at finding this gene and all of the BC breeders today will be forever grateful for it. Sadly Dr Wilton passed away which is why the Uni have attempted to take over.

I, personally, wouldn't be taking any of their pups regardless if they offered your boys brother and he was / is 'healthy'. Not only should this 'breeder' never breed the parents together again, they shouldn't breed full stop. They sound very careless and heartless to say the least. I would be demanding my money back if it does come down to your pup being affected with TNS. You will have document evidence to help back you up if you plan to fight for your money.

Can I ask how much you paid for him?

I would recommend buying from a registered Border Collie breeder, only way to ensure you 'get what you pay for'.

I'm not really sure how TNS works, but if little Bailey does have TNS, does that mean his sister and brother would definitely have TNS also. If it is TNS, from what I understand, the Dam and Sire shouldn't be bred together again. The reason I ask is that the breeder has offered Bailey's brother if he was to be PTS, but we would be hesitant to take him without an all clear from them.

No, it doesn't. If Bailey has TNS, then each of his siblings have a 25% chance of also having it, a 50% chance of being a carrier, and a 25% chance of being clear.

In the litter that we had with TNS, 2 pups were affected, 2 were carriers (and are both happy, healthy 6 year old dogs).

But you're right, the parents should never be bred together again.

At least the person who bred Bailey is trying to do something to help you out- I guess it's up to you whether you want to go with one of their pups, or wait a while before looking for a breeder who is aware of and tests for this sort of thing.

This is correct so I wouldn't be taking a litter mate without it first being tested. You also need to consider that the the parents have not been DNA screened for CL or CEA and have not been hip and elbow scored, so still lots of potential problems could emerge from one of their puppies. CL is rarer than TNS but is also 100% fatal and doesn't show up until at least 16 months, so you definitely don't want a puppy from parents not tested for that either.

Carriers of any of the 3 conditions make perfectly healthy pets and can even be bred from safely, provided they are never put to a partner that carries the same condition.

If it does turn out that Bailey has TNS then I think a refund of the purchase price and all the medical expenses is the least they should offer given that this could have been completely avoided. If they "breeders" don't understand about health testing they shouldn't be breeding anything aver again.

If any of the litter mates do have TNS it will most likely show up after the next vaccination if they don't pick up any infections in the mean time. Vaccinations tend to send TNS puppies into meltdown but sometimes it isn't the first one that does it. Most TNS puppies don't make 6 months, the very odd one makes about 12 months and I did hear of a vet overseas who owned a TNS dog that was a few years old but he had been treated for constant infections all his life. They found out it was TNS when the test first became available.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It is with a heavy heart and Owey's permission that I advise everyone that Bailey was given his wings today and his test results, done twice by the Uni to be sure, confirmed that he did in fact have TNS. I have never been so sad to have been right about something.

Owey and his wife are not up to posting tonight but will try to come back on tomorrow. They have decided to not take the litter brother and have requested a refund of all their costs. Lets hope the "breeder" now does the right thing after putting them through all this heartache.

This is a very sad lesson in why DNA testing is so important for any condition it is available for. No puppy buyer should ever have to go through something like this when it is so easily avoidable.

So very very sad :(

Owey, I am s sorry for what you and your family went through and I hope that one day you are ready to again welcome a border collie into your homes and know that the reputable, registered breeders DNA test their breeding stock to minimise the chance of families going through the hell you have had to endure.

1 of my little girls last year went to someone who had been through a similar awful situation, in her case the dog had CL and was a beloved member of the family for 18 months. Once again, from a backyard breeder who thought it was ok to just have a liter.

RIP Bailey. May you now be running free of pain at the bridge.

Oh how very sad for them. Can only imagine the heartbreak. Owey is to be commended for having followed through on the advice he got here ... and on putting the needs of the puppy first and foremost. I do hope the family can eventually get the healthy puppy they so deserve.

RIP Bailey.

My heart goes out to you. :hug: It is heartbreaking that you had to go through this and that Bailey also was subjected to this preventable disease.

The fact that dogs are still affected by preventable genetic diseases because people don't DNA test is morally so wrong.

Stay strong and one day I hope a tested BC puppy will grace your life - they are the best dogs.

:hug: for owey & family .

Run Free Bailey - no more pain or fever ....

Bailey was a lucky boy in that he had a loving and caring family who did all they could , and then asked the vet to do what they could not to set their little one free.

I'm very sorry Owey

I too have lost a very young dog after buying from an unregistered breeder. Hardest things we ever had to deal with and I still to this day can't look at dogs of the same breed without thinking of our little girl. :cry:

RIP little boy

What a heartbreaking experience. I really feel for you Owey, your family and, of course, poor Bailey.

I hope that Baileys breeder is able to learn from this and do the right thing now. Gosh, I hope Baileys litter mates are OK.

:cry::cry::cry:

I am so so sorry to hear of little Bailey's passing. No dog should have to go through what he did and nor should any family. :( He was very lucky to have you & your family Owey. You did the very best for him right until the end. Please know my thoughts are with you all tonight. :grouphug:

Bailey, you touched many of us here

In your short, but cherished time,

You will never be forgotten boy

From the stars you will always shine.

I wish you love and happiness

As you grace the Heavens above,

But most of all I wish you peace

As the Angels cradle you with love. :heart:

R.I.P. Beautiful little Bailey xxx :rainbowbridge::cry: