Tibetan Terrier

azima

Wikipedia says that the Tibetan Terrier is not a terrier. So does that mean they're okay off-lead? And how are they to housetrain?

I've previously had a LabX, GSD and KelpieX but now live in a inner city townhouse (with off-lead park and dog beach nearby). So I'm looking for a breed who is happy without a backyard at home (just a shrub-lined courtyard). But I prefer the big-dog personality. I love a dog who runs off-lead and comes when he's called (i.e. probably not a 'real' terrier). I like a dog who plays ball and swimming is a bonus. And he has to housetrain easily enough or I'll go nuts!

I'd love a shelter dog but my son really really wants a puppy. But I don't want the unpredictability of a mix-breed puppy. He's over-5 now so I'm happy to compromise (sacrifice!) and give him that experience. So I'm looking for the right pure-breed.

Does a Tibetan Terrier fit the bill?

ETA: My son wants the dog to be black! So I'm trying to limit my search to breeds that come in black. I'll talk him out of it if I really have to but I'm trying to find just what he wants :)

Edited by azima

Personally I don't think a TT is the breed you are looking for.

In my own personal experience with them, I'd say they are more Spitz-like than Terrier-like, and many Spitz breeds have painted on ears, insane stubborn streaks and an amazing sense of humour, so off-lead could lead to a battle of wills with you not always winning the battle. They are very intelligent but it can take a lot of patience and skill TO train them because they don't see themselves as the underdog, more as an equal so you have to equally as smart! :laugh: Also, unless you want to keep it clipped off, or are prepared for lots of grooming, swimming with a TT isn't necessarily going to happen either.

I'd also be a tad reluctant to not have a bit of a yard for a TT as my experience of them has seen them to be a quite energetic bubbly breed that like a decent-sized, enclosed yard to womble about in and have zoomies as and when needed and they can be very athletic as well so escaping a small courtyard may not be a problem for one who really wanted to be elsewhere.

Awesome breed though, big bark for a small dog. Not yappy but not backwards about letting you know if somebody is about.

Wikipedia says that the Tibetan Terrier is not a terrier. So does that mean they're okay off-lead? And how are they to housetrain?

I've previously had a LabX, GSD and KelpieX but now live in a inner city townhouse (with off-lead park and dog beach nearby). So I'm looking for a breed who is happy without a backyard at home (just a shrub-lined courtyard). But I prefer the big-dog personality. I love a dog who runs off-lead and comes when he's called (i.e. probably not a 'real' terrier). I like a dog who plays ball and swimming is a bonus. And he has to housetrain easily enough or I'll go nuts!

I'd love a shelter dog but my son really really wants a puppy. But I don't want the unpredictability of a mix-breed puppy. He's over-5 now so I'm happy to compromise (sacrifice!) and give him that experience. So I'm looking for the right pure-breed.

Does a Tibetan Terrier fit the bill?

ETA: My son wants the dog to be black! So I'm trying to limit my search to breeds that come in black. I'll talk him out of it if I really have to but I'm trying to find just what he wants :)

HEAPS of puppies in the pound.... maybe a staffy?.. lap dogs with bursts of energy....

HEAPS of puppies in the pound.... maybe a staffy?.. lap dogs with bursts of energy....

Staffords don't come in black and I'd highly recommend a reputable rescue organisation or a reputable breeder over a pound puppy if you are going to look at a Stafford.

Personally I'd also not recommend a Stafford for the OP based on some of the criteria as well, mainly the offlead beach and park. Your Stafford may be as reliable as the sun coming up, but it won't stop the issues created by other dogs and their owners.

Edited by ellz

Personally I would get what you want, you will most likely do the bulk of the work with the dog. Your son will love whatever puppy arrives within 5 minutes. No good getting a black pup of whatever breed if it's not a good fit for the family.

House training, recall etc all depend on you to put the hard yards in.

• Like 1

Tibetan Terriers are wonderful dogs but the biggest claim to fame is being a climber .They will climb anything if given the chance,

They do very well at obedience & thrive in agility.

They where my main breed in junior handlers for years .

As already mentioned training & the criteria you want comes down to you .

I guess the main features you need to decide is if you can't go to the park due to the weather then are you willing to put the mental stimulation time in at home having a courtyard only,

Do you want a dog that needs brushing TT need regular brushing or you get them clipped off but then they just look like a nothing dog.

Personally forget the black as already mentioned no one will sell you a black pup unless it will suit your child which means you will either be waiting a long time for the right pup or for that colour to appear in the litter .

There are many breeds out there that could fit what you want .

Although one thing to consider is often black coats & swimming can end up faded or reddish.

We breed Mini Schnauzers & those who want blacks & go to the beach we tell them that the coat can fad & to be prepared for that

Edited by showdog

Guest RosieFT

Staffords don't come in black and I'd highly recommend a reputable rescue organisation or a reputable breeder over a pound puppy if you are going to look at a Stafford.

Personally I'd also not recommend a Stafford for the OP based on some of the criteria as well, mainly the offlead beach and park. Your Stafford may be as reliable as the sun coming up, but it won't stop the issues created by other dogs and their owners.

sorry to go OT and please excuse my ignorance, but are all black 'staffords' mixed then? There is someone in my area who walks two black dogs which I thought were staffords.

sorry to go OT and please excuse my ignorance, but are all black 'staffords' mixed then? There is someone in my area who walks two black dogs which I thought were staffords.

Genetically there is no such thing as a "pure black" Stafford. Even the darkest looking black Stafford is still a black/brindle.

RFT Black SBTs are actually brindle, if you look very closely you will see some brindle stripes on them

I love a dog who runs off-lead and comes when he's called (i.e. probably not a 'real' terrier).

This is not a terrier thing, there are plenty of terriers with a recall, and plenty of other breeds without one

I know they are small but a Griffon Bruxellois would be IDEAL!

They dont need a yard, they are super easy to train my boy has been going offlead since 16 weeks with no privious traiing he likes to chase and fetch even if i do have to get him smaller sized balls... he is a smooth coat and thre are a few advertised on dogs online one breeder even has black smooth girl :-) My boy also lives with four big dogs he is definately a big dog in a small body!

Back to Tibetan Terriers for a bit. No, they're not a terrier. Neither is a Tibetan Spaniel, a spaniel. When these dogs were brought out of Tibet & back to the UK (& from there, the Western World), they were slotted into labels based on what they 'seemed' like, not what they actually are.

What showdog said about TTs was spot on.

I honestly can't comment if a TT is right for you....as showdog also said, it comes down to the criteria and training that you want.

Edited by mita

Personally I would get what you want, you will most likely do the bulk of the work with the dog. Your son will love whatever puppy arrives within 5 minutes. No good getting a black pup of whatever breed if it's not a good fit for the family.

House training, recall etc all depend on you to put the hard yards in.

Agree with this. All those things come down to training rather than the breed.

RFT Black SBTs are actually brindle, if you look very closely you will see some brindle stripes on them

Nope, you won't always. You certainly can get them solid black but they will always have a small amount of brindle somewhere. My girl is solid black, no stripes at all and has only two brindle hairs on her head. If I plucked them then she'd be solid jet black. But because she has those brindle hairs genetically, she is a black brindle - like an other black looking pedigree SBT.

. maybe a staffy?.. lap dogs with bursts of energy....

:eek: I don't know about 'bursts'. Mine, and many others I know, are non stop energy.

Greatly depends upon the individual. I've had ones where you pray you find the off switch, yet I've had others who manage to get fit moving from sunbaking spot to sunbaking spot in the yard.

That said, the "usual" energy levels of the breed are part of the charm and nobody has a truly functioning crystal ball to pick one that is going to stay laidback. Much of the personality comes from the environment.

And the energy levels and renowned escapism talents of the Stafford are other reasons why I personally don't think the breed necessarily suited to the OP.

. maybe a staffy?.. lap dogs with bursts of energy....

:eek: I don't know about 'bursts'. Mine, and many others I know, are non stop energy.

Greatly depends upon the individual.

Yep, it's a given with any breed. I often see SBT's being described as low energy/low exercise requirements - just pointing out that it can be far from the truth.