Urgent Need For Foster Carers

RSPCA does not have jurisdiction for animal welfare in all parts of Australia. In Qld they have a portion of it and DPI is responsible for the rest. For example the Wondai dog seizure was conducted by DPI but they contracted the kenneling and welfare of the dogs to the RSPCA. DPI was responsible for the seizure and prosecution.

Animals are usually seized as a precusor to prosecution. On a lot of occasions if the people will surrender or relinquish the animals it is not worth the cost to prosecute. The system is not perfect. Maybe check and see if this PF is actually in an RSPCA area or if it is under the umbrella of a Govt organisation.

I would have thought that not providing sufficient food or providing necessary vetcare would cover it though. Desexing is not mandatory so they can't be prosecuted for that.

Good on you for taking these poor pups on.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not providing sufficient food, not providing veterinary care to an injured dog and not desexing are not enough.

POCTAA clearly covers the bolded parts above... and, yes, they can prosecute. Show them the dogs in question that have untreated injuries and you may get a different response.

T.

Well I have checked and the RSPCA are responsible in SA but they do not seem to want to act. Apparently they have been there before, euthanased some of the worst dogs and left it at that.

I am building up a portfolio of photographs of the dogs and their injuries and condition and getting vet reports and will be going to the Minister, the Head of the RSPCA, the local Council, and if I don't see some action in a short space of time I will be looking at the media.

I'd also be writing to the CEO of the RSPCA in SA. Not good enough! They may not be able to shut the farm down but that doesn't mean they can't rescue any neglected animals at that property and prosecute.

They aren't just allowed to take dogs off people. The people need to be actually breaking the law. Unfortunately, keeping dogs in tiny cages, never walking them and breeding them is legal.

However, not giving a dog veterinary care is against the law. You'd need to be able to prove that this was the case though.

The dogs are all severely underweight and have mange so are being kept in quarantine until that clears up. We are desperate for more blankets, towels and small size dog coats to keep them warm. The dogs are mostly Koolies crossed with some kind of terrier. They are mostly no larger than 4kg and the largest is 7kg but only because she is pregnant with 10 pups. She would not survive the birth so she will be desexed and the pups aborted. She also needs to have a leg amputated because it is so deformed due to past injuries. If you can help with old ones please post them to:

The highlighted bits above are why I am so angry with the authorities in that state, although a search said the Dept of Environment and Natural Rescources was the authority responsible for enforcing the act, not the RSPCA? The act is quite clear to me if someone could be bothered pursuing the areas of the act that the PF owner is breaching as per the section below. Even worse - the RSPCA have history on this place to build a case. I just don't get how they think this is ok.

ANIMAL WELFARE ACT 1985 - SECT 13

13—Ill treatment of animals

(1) If—

(a) a person ill treats an animal; and

(b) the ill treatment causes the death of, or serious harm to, the animal; and

© the person intends to cause, or is reckless about causing, the death of, or serious harm to, the animal,

the person is guilty of an offence.

Maximum penalty: $50 000 or imprisonment for 4 years.

(2) A person who ill treats an animal is guilty of an offence.

Maximum penalty: $20 000 or imprisonment for 2 years.

(3) Without limiting the generality of subsection (1) or (2), a person ill treats an animal if the person—

(a) intentionally, unreasonably or recklessly causes the animal unnecessary harm; or

(b) being the owner of the animal—

(i) fails to provide it with appropriate, and adequate, food, water, living conditions (whether temporary or permanent) or exercise; or

(ii) fails to take reasonable steps to mitigate harm suffered by the animal; or

(iii) abandons the animal; or

(iv) neglects the animal so as to cause it harm; or

© having caused the animal harm (not being an animal of which that person is the owner), fails to take reasonable steps to mitigate the harm; or

(d) uses the animal in an organised animal fight; or

(e) releases the animal from captivity for the purpose of it then being hunted or killed; or

(f) causes the animal to be killed or injured by another animal; or

(g) kills the animal in a manner that causes the animal unnecessary pain; or

(h) unless the animal is unconscious, kills the animal by a method that does not cause death to occur as rapidly as possible; or

(i) carries out a medical or surgical procedure on the animal in contravention of the regulations; or

(j) ill treats the animal in any other manner prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this section.

I'm not at all surprised that RSPCA here in SA do not want to know about. It seems they are filled with incompetant boobs.

Perry's Mum if you have a standard letter you would like me to email to the relevant people please forward it to me and i will do so. Maybe if they have enough people questioning why this person is in operation it will give them a kick up the bum to do something.

Those poor dogs :(

How can you afford to rehome them for free? Does it come out of your own pocket? Could you ask adopters to make a donation to help you with their costs? Just curious how you work it all out.:)

I rescue Italian Greyhounds, I believe some of those dogs are cross with Italians - the white and chocolate dogs have the Iggy shape - (it's common to use them in BYB operations unfortunately, i've heard about them living in bird cages :mad and other terrible situations). In the pounds in Sydney we are commonly seeing dogs that are crossed with Italians, normally foxies but recently we rescued a Beagle/Italian cross and have also seen a Beagle/Whippet cross advertised. We are now looking at a Cattle Cross/Iggy at Gilgandra.

Crossing with an Italian could make them very nervous and sensitive dogs and any dogs kept in these conditions would be that way.

Horrific, I cannot iunderstand why the authorities will not stop this cruelty. :(

Edited by dogmad

Oh no I think quite a few of those dogs are IG crosses. A traumatized IG will be VERY timid and may never be any different. IGs are very sensitive dogs emotionally and harsh treatment can break their spirits. My suggestion is you get these dogs into foster care with ppl that are familiar with IGs as they are quite different to other breeds temperament wise. Someone with no IG breed experience is likely to find these guys extremely challenging and almost impossible to rehabilitate. Good luck!

We rehome for free because of political reasons lost in history - I don't think the club will change its attitude on this at the present time. We have a number of fund raising things going on such as running sheepdog schools, selling Christmas and birthday cards, etc. Also most people are so delighted with their dogs that they make a donation which covers the vet costs. When it comes to the crunch, however, yes it comes out of our pockets. Particularly at times like this when we get swamped.

1342172336[/url]' post='5896875']

We rehome for free because of political reasons lost in history -

laugh.gif Ahhh politics .Thanks for answering. Rescue can certainly leave our pockets empty. Hope these poor dogs all pull through and find wonderful homes, they just look so sad frown.gif

Those photos are eye opening... but at least the dogs don't appear to have their spirits broken. They look like they are going to really enjoy the love and attention from their carers while they wait for their forever homes.

Awesome job to all involved in rescuing these munchkins - I take my hat off to you all!

T.

Guest donatella

those pictures are devastating and those dogs look so scared :cry:

i'm going to go home and give my dog a big cuddle.

thank you koolie rescue for breaking these guys out!