August Challenge

tlc

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a few uploaded for different threads. I still don't have a spyder to calibrate, I think I have my sat and brightness too high on my desktop so just use your imagination for colour, I'm working on it :laugh:

Back to portraits, first is a corgi from herding, she'd just done her instinct test and was a happy girl.

f6.3

1/125

ISO 500

50mm

7836767718_ebd7db8666_z.jpg

I went down to SACA to practise action and got some portraits and candids.

f5

1/1250

ISO 400

90mm

7836763628_f790412b56_z.jpg

Thanks guys :)

kja - She looks so serene, lovely shot :)

Thanks for the comments Snook , reply below :D

The perspective on the shot with Indy is great but I just keep wanting to see the end of the paw that's been cut off.

So did I :laugh: She is a nightmare, I can literally be over the other side of the garden and the second the lens points her way she trots towards me. So I tried a different approach - wide lens stuck in front of her face, trouble is I put the camera right on the ground and just aimed it at her without being able to see the viewfinder. Needless to say I had more misses than hits :laugh:

Something about the lizard one feels like it's not quite right but I can't put my finger on what it is - maybe the tail being chopped off throws it a bit.. I'm not sure. embarrass.gif

I know what you mean, I'll try another crop

Great capture with the bird - it must have been close to get that with a 60mm!

Probably 20ft up, but well cropped :)

eta - love the corgi RJ, very cute :) but I'm just distracted by the torn tights in the second one :laugh:

Edited by CrazyCresties

cc - nice catch with the bees, so tricky

kja - Tilly is looking sweet there :)

revj - that's one happy dirty corgi! I like the daschie, and although I keep looking and getting distracted by the torn tights, it does make me wonder about the story, yeh :)

cat - lovely detail on the pelican, I don't mind the dark

I was wondering what or if there is any rules as far as square portraits go? like rule of thirds? I think centering works but just wondering what others thought?

a few too many examples of various compositions ... good old Chester (these are mostly from his 11th birthday trip)

7850371286_1787832850_z.jpg

7850371880_e5e2c8bcec_z.jpg

7850372516_43fa7db21c_z.jpg

7850372912_d47e78873c_z.jpg

7850373608_3e2a565f11_z.jpg

7850226946_47fee2907b_z.jpg

7850227800_db5d2c02ae_z.jpg

Lovely shots CM.

I remember talking in another thread with KJA about centering photos, I do it all the time and I remember talking about shooting things not so in the centre all the time, I just cant seem to help myself and do it constantly. Now that this has come up again I will see if i can make a conscious effort not to centre so much, but either way I love things in the centre! :laugh:

CM, jut realized after Snooks comment that you were taking about the actual crop not the photo, whoops!

Well I actually took something I liked and its not in the middle! yay!!

file-110.jpg

and another one me being told off. :laugh:

file-109.jpg

Edited by tlc

thanks all

snook:

I think it's easier to centre photos and have them look good with a square crop but I really like the rule of thirds for squares.

yeh, I still like the 3rds too, I also like the diagonal half/half kinda composition, like my 2nd shot down?

sweet tlc! I like the lines in that first one, and cute being told off. yeh re: your composition comment, I never center my shots normally, use that bead focus off to the top/bottom left/right but tend to enjoy the odd centered square crop, especially of dog face portraits :)

I often think or compose in square format because in the black and white olden days I used Rollei top viewer and later a Hasselblad and there is some rubbish square format around but a good set blows oblong formats away. It's all judgemental though isn't it, like rule of thirds works when you use it, but it works if the subject is not suited so you go with what seems best.

A good blog by a square format mostly nature photographer but a bit of everything is http://tonymclean.wordpress.com/ - his composition style jumps around but works well, and some useful comment aside from the images.

thanks huga ... love King Sid :)

thanks possomcorner ... cool link! I do like my beach landscapes (seascapes?), have done a few square ones, one of which is my personal all time fav. (and that particular image doesn't look half as good in 6x4) ... worst thing about them is that they are difficult to get printed ... like snapfish doesn't offer square, and although I've tried putting them on 6x4 backgrounds, doesn't seem to work as well and is time consuming ... admittedly I haven't really put much more thought into it other than that, but anyway that's an aside

the other thing I was gonna say is that I don't really "see" square when I'm taking the photo, but my general compositional in camera "style" seems to lend itself well to them and moreso when not taking photos of my dogs

while I'm here, just pop in a few from earlier this month

Lotus, a little muddied up

7764994282_00d47222e0_z.jpg

and Chester, with a bit of mud chewing going on :p

7731531656_b304765eb2_z.jpg

the park puddle has been back in full swing this winter

cheers