Qld Police Shoot Dead Two Violent Dogs

Maxiewolf

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8515057/qld-police-shoot-dead-two-violent-dogs

Queensland police have shot dead two dogs while they were attacking a man in his house south of Brisbane.

Officers were called to the house at Heritage Park in Logan City at about 11am (AEST) on Sunday following reports that a man was being attacked by dogs.

When the police arrived, they saw a man in the house bleeding from multiple wounds unable to move.

They tried to enter the house but were prevented by two large dogs.

"Police attempted to subdue the dogs with OC (pepper) spray, however one of the dogs continued to attack the man, leaving police no choice but to shoot the animals to prevent further injury to the man," police said in a statement.

The 47-year-old victim was taken to hospital to be treated for numerous wounds to his arms, legs and face and subsequent blood loss.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect the media to blame whatever breed they think will get the most interest in the story. Bull bull bull.

Perhaps a fight broke out and he was trying to intervene? I wonder how much the owner/breeder will say about the attack. Since the police had to shoot them to prevent further harm this clearly isn't a single bite in the heat of the moment.

Bull mastiffs-beasts-bulldogs-now American bulldogs. That's almost a change an hour!

The owner was begging the police not to shoot his dogs, from what I got one dog was still threatening him at that time?? I still think the police handled the situation appropriately, it would be a difficult situation to assess and make descisions on quickly.

What kind of idiot begs the police not to shoot their dogs when they are still being attacked and can't get up :eek: . Perhaps they were the culmination of a carefully thought out breeding programe - or it was a "training session" gone wrong :mad :mad :mad.

Edited by frufru

What kind of idiot begs the police not to shoot their dogs when they are still being attacked and can't get up :eek:. Perhaps they were the culmination of a carefully thought out breeding programe - or it was a "training session" gone wrong :mad :mad :mad.

Perhaps he did not want his dogs to die. Maybe he made an error, and they were the type of dogs you cannot make an error with.

No need to make up news fodder (or get mad at an imagined training session).

Edited by lilli

The police acted most appropriately in that situation, after all they are supposed to protect. I wonder what went do horribly wrong to cause them to do what they did.

Times like this it would be good to be s le to go back in time and watch their behaviour and interactions. I believe it will be one of those cases where "they just snapped" or " they have never been an issue before" and the owner has. Ery little idea what they have been saying for some time.

I hope the poor man is okay that would have been terrifying

I was being sarcastic but, in any event, fail to see how my personal musing could be construed as "news fodder" ?????

Sorry frufru I didn't mean to come off so tart (my Monday morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet :o :))

By news fodder, I meant adding an invented story line to a sequence of events, ie training regime gone wrong.

But you're right, it's just musings, so pay no mind to me! :flower:

Edited by lilli

Bull mastiffs-beasts-bulldogs-now American bulldogs. That's almost a change an hour!

I was impressed that the news story above simply refers to 'large dogs'. I doubt there was a reporter on the scene, and the police often keep silence. Rumors abound, cause people want information and sometimes there isn't much . . . or what there is is confusing. It seems that the public has an appetite for breed specification, and some parts of the press cater to it with speculation.

Here is the followup article in the Courier Mail. Seems very strange - owner claims dogs jumped him from behind when he went to answer the door and was in some sort of glazed-eye rage. Anyway - thoughts??? Defence drive at door and misplaced aggression - like when one dogs gets excited it sometimes attacks the other dog standing near it. I have seen this with two small dogs. One went balistic at the door and would often turn on the other quiet dog. Being small fluffies it wasn't that serious but with two large strong dogs - could be vbery serious.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pampered-best-mate-unleashes-surprise-attack/story-e6freoof-1226453252236

...Queensland

Pampered 'best mate' unleashes surprise attack by: Kris Crane From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) August 19, 2012 12:00AM Increase Text SizeDecrease Text SizePrintEmail Share

Add to DiggAdd to del.icio.usAdd to FacebookAdd to KwoffAdd to MyspaceAdd to NewsvineWhat are these? 0 Geoff Matthews was attacked by his dog Jack who was later put down along with his other pet dog Rosie. Source: Supplied

IT WAS the phone call Kathy Field will never forget - when police told her they had shot the family dogs that had just savaged her husband for about half an hour in their Logan home last Sunday.

Ms Field said her husband Geoff Matthews, who is in hospital undergoing extensive surgery, found it hard to relive the horrific attack.

The couple treated the two american bulldogs, Jack and Rosie, as part of their family.

The dogs had their own room fitted out with a king-size bed and filled with toys.

"Geoff said he was getting up to answer the door when Jack jumped on him from behind and he fell to the ground," she said.

"He said it wasn't Jack, didn't even look like Jack. He yelled but he didn't flinch - his eyes were glazed over."

Mr Matthews has had surgery to his face, arms and legs over the past week, but no amount of treatment can repair the damage caused when his "best mate" attacked him for nearly half an hour.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Recommended CoverageRelated Coverage .

Police shoot two dogs

Police have shot two dogs after a dog attack in Heritage Park yesterday morning which left a man with serious injuries. ..End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

He also suffered a broken leg in the attack.

Now Ms Field says the couple have lost their children and best friends.

"For Geoff it's just so hard to think your best mate did that," she said. Ms Field cannot believe four-year-old Jack would hurt Geoff. She said the bond they shared was amazing.

"They were best mates from the moment we brought him home at eight weeks old," she said.

"He would jump on Geoff's knee as a baby at 10kg, and he still did the same at 50kg.

"They were inseparable. Jack would sit between Geoff's legs at the dinner table for every meal. Geoff always said he would take Jack with him everywhere if he could."

Ms Field was at her mother's home when she got the news and she thought the call was a practical joke.

"I thought it was a joke; I couldn't believe it," she said.

"The police officer just kept apologising over and over before she told me Geoff had been attacked by his own dogs.

"Although Rosie didn't attack Geoff, police had to shoot her too.

"We understand they did what they had to do."

While Mr Matthews has had several skin grafts, Ms Field said it was the emotional wounds that were the hardest to deal with.

"The injuries will heal, the rest could take a while," she said.

Edited by pepe001

Guest lavendergirl

The dogs have been reported as American Bulldogs with photos in this morning's Sunday Mail. The second dog Rosie was not involved in the attack according to the owner but was caught in the crossfire. Very bewildering and sad.