Help Needed For Mini Paws Foster Carers. Urgent

Perhaps if more of us 'long term' rescuers could help the next generation of rescue orgs, we can leave a legacy.

Rescues, both big and small are run by people but I figured we are really in it for the benefit of the animals.

Hugs

xx Lillypilly xx

From someone that one day would love to open a reputable rescue - I thank you for what you just said.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No history at all except to support her and even defend her when others have criticized , we invited her to advertise Mini Paws because we wanted members to think about adoption rather than buying from breeders or petshops as we felt these dogs were the ones at risk .

My question was very very courteous and worded so that it wouldn't come across as nasty as its not my aim to upset people ..

This is the actual message I sent

\Conversation started May 6

10:13pm

Deborah Aitken

Hi Rachelle , I have just seen the photos of the 2 litters you have advertised on Pet Pages and was a bit confused .

Rather than ask on the page and cause a stir Ill ask here in private .

just wondering why they are being advertised so young ?

and why are they in dirt ? this time of year it wouldn't be real good for them .

Thanks for your time . Deb

If theres something wrong with that then Im happy to apologise to her .

The only motif behind this dredging is that she is advertising to over 2000 members on my page alone for free with our support , thus one would expect an answer to a civil question .She is at this moment sending me messages and being quite nasty .

Im done , she can tell it to whoever I can find that cares enough to look into her rescue and give the answers me and my members are asking simply being why is she canvassing for pups at the same time asking for foster carers , why are pups on dirt and advertised only a few days old and why when someone asked to see a pup did she tell them they were sold only to post them on gumtree .

She may be nice to talk to but as a business she needs to be answerable when asked about things that are not typical rescue shelter practices .

Thank for the replies and for being polite about it all , sadly there are 2 faces to this Rachelle and Im getting the horrible one .

And now Im being threatened by her .. great . Ill be leaving this forum now , I only wanted advice on how to deal with this not to cause a stir . people will make up their own minds and in time water will find its own level .

Edited by jusdeb

Actually jusdeb, one does not need an ABN or a COP in order to run a rescue...

Having made our Dogue Rescue 'official' in July last year, you are right, you don't 'need' an ABN or anything else, however, you DO need a CFN (charity fundraising number) if you are asking for donations.

We also got an ABN as we also registered for gift recipient status (where all donations are also tax deductible for the donors).

We were however, running this rescue for many years out of our own pockets by a number of breeders however, as the numbers increased we needed donations, and in order to ask for them LEGALLY, we had to obtain a CFN.

What I am interested in knowing - after Lillypilly's conversation with her - is Rachelle doing the right thing and desexing the animals before rehoming?

Last year when I spoke to Rachelle, no desexing was done for puppies.

Apparently the vet being used at that time would not do elective surgery on young pups.

A new clinic was sought which will desex the pups from 10 weeks of age.

Dogmad have a look at post #28 of this topic.

Maybe there is a 'long term' rescue org nearer to Rachelle who could guide her.

Perhaps Steve could PM about the wonderful MDBA courses on offer or Merryn could send the

link to her fantastic book - both are great learning resources.

I have learned so much running a shelter for rescue animals and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Knowledge can be shared and I am happy to assist the newbies and the long termers in rescue.

Otherwise I do see my wonderful journey along a sometimes bumpy road somewhat wasted.

Hugs

xx lillypilly xx

I'm always happy to share my knowledge and skills and expertise too but it is a fact that some people mean well but are simply not suited to running a rescue operation, others have the wrong motives or ideas.

I recently spoke to a lady who enquired about one of my little rescued dogs. She said I was the only rescuer out of the 5 that she had contacted that had asked her any questions about her life/home and had not pushed her to adopt the dog I had advertised.

Instead I had given her plenty of advice and also said that my dog would not suit - she said it was a refreshing change from the other conversations she'd had.

I'm always happy to share my knowledge and skills and expertise too but it is a fact that some people mean well but are simply not suited to running a rescue operation, others have the wrong motives or ideas.

I recently spoke to a lady who enquired about one of my little rescued dogs. She said I was the only rescuer out of the 5 that she had contacted that had asked her any questions about her life/home and had not pushed her to adopt the dog I had advertised.

Instead I had given her plenty of advice and also said that my dog would not suit - she said it was a refreshing change from the other conversations she'd had.

Dogmad your reputation and compassion for the animals speaks heaps for you - you are one of the best.

As a person and a rescuer I have a great deal of respect for you.

Hugs

xx lillypilly xx

edited cos I am tired and making typing boo boos.

Edited by lillypilly

The only motif behind this dredging is that she is advertising to over 2000 members on my page alone for free with our support , thus one would expect an answer to a civil question .She is at this moment sending me messages and being quite nasty .

Im done , she can tell it to whoever I can find that cares enough to look into her rescue and give the answers me and my members are asking simply being why is she canvassing for pups at the same time asking for foster carers , why are pups on dirt and advertised only a few days old and why when someone asked to see a pup did she tell them they were sold only to post them on gumtree .

She may be nice to talk to but as a business she needs to be answerable when asked about things that are not typical rescue shelter practices .

Thank for the replies and for being polite about it all , sadly there are 2 faces to this Rachelle and Im getting the horrible one .

And now Im being threatened by her .. great . Ill be leaving this forum now , I only wanted advice on how to deal with this not to cause a stir . people will make up their own minds and in time water will find its own level .

All I can advise is that if you are so concerned about her practices and responses to your questions, maybe you can withdraw her advertising on your page.

lillypilly is a rescuer of some experience, and has contacted Rachelle personally... and posted the responses here. I don't know why you are getting a completely different response to your questions, but the fact that you signed up here to ostensibly have a go at this rescue (and dredging up a very old thread to do so), doesn't say much for your own conduct in this "dispute" with an advertiser on Facebook.

The pups are advertised, but don't go to their new families until all of the work is done and they are old enough to go. There is no law stating that very young pups can't be advertised - just that they can't legally be transferred to a new owner until at least 8 weeks of age.

dogmad - all of the pups are chipped, desexed, and vetworked prior to rehoming.

T.

I don't take a stranger's word for anything without seeing with my own eyes.

& Calling yourself a rescue doesn't mean nobody can ask questions or that you can give someone a gobful when they do. If she was a byb doing the same thing people would be outraged.

Jusdeb, your page your rules, don't stress over it and give her the flick. There's a thousand other places she can take her puppies.

(btw People don't dredge up old threads on purpose. Google brings them, I don't even look at dates myself.)

I don't take a stranger's word for anything without seeing with my own eyes.

& Calling yourself a rescue doesn't mean nobody can ask questions or that you can give someone a gobful when they do. If she was a byb doing the same thing people would be outraged.

Jusdeb, your page your rules, don't stress over it and give her the flick. There's a thousand other places she can take her puppies.

(btw People don't dredge up old threads on purpose. Google brings them, I don't even look at dates myself.)

Plus that's a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. If she had started a new thread she would have been stoned to death for starting a new thread.

Questions have been asked by longstanding members of the rescue community, and have been answered (and relayed back to here)... does anyone think that lillypilly would intentionally mislead us with the information she has passed on in this case? She helped Rachelle find a decent vet that will do the early age desexing last year, and has been a support and mentor for Rachelle on other occasions...

I'm always leery of people who sign up here and immediately go on a witch hunt... not saying that was jusdeb's intent at first, but it's certainly starting to look that way to me.

T.

That's lillypilly's choice T. Saying I prefer to see things first hand isn't a backhander about being mislead by anyone. Remember, "I heard" is the way rumours take on a life of their own.

So that's where I've drawn my line. First hand or not at all.

This thread was started months ago and has comments from several others regarding their confidence in the setup, nobody accused the OP or anyone else of a witch hunt so one new member asking a question doesn't constitute a witch hunt either.

And frankly right now I really don't care enough to debate if this 'rescue' is dodgy or awesome or has a mentor or if there's some kind of grudge or who's in the right. If jusdeb doesn't want her on her page she doesn't have to. Simples.

She is no longer on my pages .

I have found all the messages and posts made by her including members concerns to being asked if they need help rehoming their pups aka canvassing .

Bottom line is I don't care what happens as of now as I have enough proof to prove that everything I have said is true , so long as the animals are being taken care of then its up to the powers that be to decide if she is above board .

People that do not do the right thing make a bad name for those that are doing the right thing . And that's not fair .

Powerlegs , not once did I say anything along the lines " I heard this or I heard that " my words are factual and not rumor " .

As I said before water finds its own level .

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought. I stated my thoughts, not what I think other people ought to be doing.

I have no interest in you, a group I've never heard of, or a Facebook page I can't see.

I actually defended your right to ask a question in an old thread. AND agreed that someone flying the rescue flag should be ok with reasonable questions. So thanks for that.

jusdeb - to be honest, you have basically only told us that Rachelle didn't answer your questions to your satisfaction...

Do you have any other information about this rescue that the public or her peers in the field should know about? If so, please share...

T.

Ill happily answer any questions if Im messaged with a specific question but no more in public as I feel like Im the one in the wrong here now .

Powerlegs my reply was not meant to offend , I may have answered curtly unintentionally as Im getting sick of feeling like the bad person here when all I wanted was to know how to go about solving some issues presented by Rachelle which she refused to answer for me when I asked her .

She is threatening me with legal action which doesnt worry me as everything Ive said can be backed up in black and white however I dont have the time to be running around chasing legal aid and tied up in courts so feel free to message me and Ill happily answer .

I just want to add that the response I have here has been very disappointing . Only Lilly pilly has messaged me and spoken to me as a peer . I feel others have decided that they need to take a side without looking into my comments or even asking what proof I have .

I am not a shelter and actually give credit to those that do run rescues , there is no ulterior motif or anything for me to gain . If I see something that's isn't right Ill ask the person first then ask others what to do but I will never sit back and turn a blind eye .

I thought that was the right thing to do :(