She Did It!

mixeduppup

Maybe is finally backing properly! She's been doing it on and off but not consistently but she's finally doing it reliably, she's also going through really well! Hoping for yard dog trials early next year! From a crazy rescue dog to a brilliant yard dog, so proud!

backing.jpg

P7210827.jpg

why do you want her to walk on the sheep?

She has been used in the paddocks and yards to bring the sheep in but she couldn't push the sheep up the shoot/race, which is pretty important in moving sheep around. The dogs run on top of the sheep and then get down and run back underneath, this pushes the sheep up the race and gets them all in, it can be anything from loading them onto a truck to lamb marking but it's pretty important to have a dog that can do it for you.

She has been used in the paddocks and yards to bring the sheep in but she couldn't push the sheep up the shoot/race, which is pretty important in moving sheep around. The dogs run on top of the sheep and then get down and run back underneath, this pushes the sheep up the race and gets them all in, it can be anything from loading them onto a truck to lamb marking but it's pretty important to have a dog that can do it for you.

What a great reply, mixeduppup. I realised backing had to do with moving the sheep along, but you have put it so clearly. :thumbsup:

I forgot to say congratulations to you, too. :laugh:

Edited by Danny's Darling

What a great reply, mixeduppup. I realised backing had to do with moving the sheep along, but you have put it so clearly. :thumbsup:

I forgot to say congratulations to you, too. :laugh:

Thanks very much. :)

OK not something the collies do here when herding the sheep into pens or trucks

The Uk is very different when it comes to sheepdogs in general. In general Australian dogs have to deal with much larger amounts of sheep that are much wilder and generally bigger than European breeds so require not only different handling techniques but different breeds of dog to achieve the result. Collies are rarely used in the yards for backing, they are usually used for paddock work or there's a strain of hard biting collies used for cattle and goats. Kelpies and Koolies (or variations of) are usually used for yard work and backing as they are generally tougher than the collies and built more for that type of work (not to say that a collie can't do it, I've seen some really handy yard collies). Hope that makes sense :)

Congratulations!! This is just another great example of why people should also consider the option of getting a rescue dog, there is some great potential to found you just have to work for it instead of expecting top results but not wanting to be in the effort

Again so happy for you and your pooch!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by thundercat

Backing is one of the trademarks of the Kelpie! I think the most amazing part of watching Yard Dog trials!

:) reminds me of my little dachsieXterrier , many years ago .. she LOVED working sheep ..and was pretty useful in the yards/trucks. Of course, with legs 2 inches long, she couldn't jump on their backs..but in a packed yard , when put onto the expanse of woolly surface...off she'd go , to the ones blocking the flow ..and, as well as barking in their ear , she would dig at their necks ..... she would then fall thru the gaps and run back underneath ....... her idea of heaven . In the paddock was always tricky ..I couldn't see her in the grass to control her !!

:)