Poisonous Plants

JulesP

It can give them really bad allergic skin reactions and eye allergies but I've never heard of it killing a dog.

And it's Wandering Dew not Jew, for future reference :laugh:

Guess it depends on if you're in Germany or Australia :rofl:

:rofl:

And I only just read your comment about Brock :heart: sorry I am not being disrespectful

Edited by Squidgy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... And it's Wandering Dew not Jew, for future reference ....

No it's not. It is Trandescantia if anyone wants to be correct, but calling the plant Wandering Dew was only introduced to make it sound politically correct because Wandering Jew didn't sound "nice" and it's an informal name-change of a common name that has not stuck. But anyone who doesn't like calling the plant WJ can't go wrong with Trandescantia.

Persephone, glad I'm not the only one in town to speak for the oleanders.

And for anyone reading this as a general thread - can I put in a warning about the tubers of dahlias. they are not supposed to be poisonous, but were the only strange things my previous BC boy had access to when accidentally shut in the garage for an hour - and they killed him :cry: . Sever neurotoxin. Daffodil bulbs are poisonous too I think.

Persephone, glad I'm not the only one in town to speak for the oleanders.

we just have the ol pink ones ..but modern varieties are just gorgeous! :)

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHE)DBQNsU3wtt!~~60_35.JPG

I have oleanders growing in the garden & have some lovely ones giving shade for the chooks & a lovely row of double perfumed ones along my front fence. I have seen them used as wind breaks around cow paddocks. I heard once that they are so bitter that nothing would touch them & also that they are mostly toxic if the wood is burnt. I have never had a problem & have never heard of a case of deadly poisoning from them. My chooks even cleaned up every part of my four lovely rhubarb plants :(

Jules, did you find out for certain if it was a plant that killed Brock, I thought at the time you thought it may have been a bait.

Tassie, your dogs eat all those lovely apples pips & all.

And for anyone reading this as a general thread - can I put in a warning about the tubers of dahlias. they are not supposed to be poisonous, but were the only strange things my previous BC boy had access to when accidentally shut in the garage for an hour - and they killed him :cry: . Sever neurotoxin. Daffodil bulbs are poisonous too I think.

Sorry for the loss of your dog. But it definitely would not have been caused by Dahlia tubers. Dahlias were originally from South America, where they were cultivated as a food crop. When the Spanish took some tubers back to their botanical gardens in Spain, they were planted in the food section, but after they flowered and were seen to be so pretty, they transferred the dahlias to the flower / ornamental section, and that is how they were introduced to the European gardener - as a flower, rather than a food.

Jules, did you find out for certain if it was a plant that killed Brock, I thought at the time you thought it may have been a bait.

It was bait. Still don't know how. It has just made me really paranoid about keeping the dogs safe and one reason that I moved. So when the guy told me 2 dogs had died here I flipped out a bit. I haven't worried too much about plants in the past as so many are poisonous. So I was just wondering if other people considered plants.

Was just about to plant tomatoes which are poisonous!

Sorry for the loss of your dog. But it definitely would not have been caused by Dahlia tubers. Dahlias were originally from South America, where they were cultivated as a food crop. When the Spanish took some tubers back to their botanical gardens in Spain, they were planted in the food section, but after they flowered and were seen to be so pretty, they transferred the dahlias to the flower / ornamental section, and that is how they were introduced to the European gardener - as a flower, rather than a food.

They are listed as toxic to dogs and cats though. Bees have a problem with them too!

It was bait. Still don't know how. It has just made me really paranoid about keeping the dogs safe and one reason that I moved. So when the guy told me 2 dogs had died here I flipped out a bit. I haven't worried too much about plants in the past as so many are poisonous. So I was just wondering if other people considered plants.

Was just about to plant tomatoes which are poisonous!

Probably the only way to make sure if you are really paranoid is to have absolutely no garden at all, but then there are the grasses which can be "poisonous" at different stages of their growth. Also a lot of plants that are classed as poisonous are not deadly, they just make the dog feel off colour or give it the runs. I have never seen a dog eat tomato plants. In fact I have never seen a dog eat any plant other than grass. I know they will eat fruit. With the bait, I suppose it could have been possible that a crow could have dropped it or a neighbour may have been baiting carrots for rabbit control. Which ever way, it was tragic & if it happened to me, I would be paranoid too :( Can you divide your yard into two & have one half for the dogs & the other for your garden.

Oh Tassie, so very sorry. Thats really sad :(

Plumbs (the kernel) and I understand some other stone fruits are poisonous for dogs.

Bella my beautiful 10 year old Kelpie decided to eat a whole bunch of plumbs off our trees, she must have also chewed the seed.

She developed cyanide poisoning, I thought we were going to lose her, very, very scary.

My vet friend just put a warning on her FB about Yesterday today tomorrow (Brunfelsia) and how poisonous it is for dogs.

I have a lovely one of those growing right next to the dwarf oleander & the dogs do zoomies around them. I don't really see why a dog would bother to eat it or the leaves from any other bush as long as they have some good grass to nibble on. A good idea for dogs is to plant some Cat Grass...they love it. Maybe put some in a pot & get it established.

For any Dolers who can overcome their political stance and pick up a copy of Burkes Backyard, this month has a larger pet magazine included. (Yes it road-tests Whippets, and promotes a designer dog producer).

But aside from an excellent poultry segment (Meg of course) it does have a vet's take on toxic plants, and yes it does list bulbs including onions. And brunfelsia. And apricot kernels, as Nic.B mentioned. That's my worry, the apricot tree is huge and productive. A fox comes in and climbs it for apricots. So does Piper, she is an amazing good tree climber for a Rotti. Mostly she eats the fruit and spits the kernels, but now and then passed a kernel so I know a few went down with the fruit last Christmas.

My vet friend just put a warning on her FB about Yesterday today tomorrow (Brunfelsia) and how poisonous it is for dogs.

I have a lovely one of those growing right next to the dwarf oleander & the dogs do zoomies around them. I don't really see why a dog would bother to eat it or the leaves from any other bush as long as they have some good grass to nibble on. A good idea for dogs is to plant some Cat Grass...they love it. Maybe put some in a pot & get it established.

It produces berries that can be attractive to some dogs. As I remember, I saw a dog being treated for Brunfelsia poisoning on Bondi Vet and they had to pump the dogs stomach which was full of these brown berries. I think the dog survived but it was touch and go and very nasty.

I have seen a dog with toxicity from Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow - it had eaten a bunch of seed pods (edit: apparently berries - all the parts of the plant are toxic but in this case we were identifying things in faeces!). Never say they'd never eat anything stupid, but in this case it was a Labrador, so maybe that explains everything.

I've also seen a small dog (Maltese x) come very close to losing it's life after eating a few leaves from a Kalanchoe plant. I'm not sure of which species in particular but it was a succulent variety - they seems to be very popular at Bunnings too.

Edited by Rappie

I have seen a dog with toxicity from Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow - it had eaten a bunch of seed pods (edit: apparently berries - all the parts of the plant are toxic but in this case we were identifying things in faeces!). Never say they'd never eat anything stupid, but in this case it was a Labrador, so maybe that explains everything.

I've also seen a small dog (Maltese x) come very close to losing it's life after eating a few leaves from a Kalanchoe plant. I'm not sure of which species in particular but it was a succulent variety - they seems to be very popular at Bunnings too.

I didn't think of the berries.... I think I might dig mine out just to be on the safe side.

Our apricot tree is HUGE and full of fruit, Mosley eats the ones that fall but I don't think he eats the pips as I find them underneath the tree....I'll have to keep an eye out,

Just be careful Aussie, I pick all the fruit now as it is just not worth the risk. Maybe pick up the fruit off the ground....

The weird thing is, Bella has never in 10 years eaten the plumbs :confused:

It was difficult to diagnose to begin with, I had no idea that she had been eating plumbs and didnt mention it to the vet, at first they thought she had had a stroke. I saw the seeds in her stool and which led us to cyanide poisoning.

Bella was at the emergency vet in a very bad way, it was terrible. Thank god she pulled through, I adore the monkey!