My Latest Foster "failure"... Harper

tdierikx

Yep - Harper has different coloured eyes - one is grey and one is blue. I'll try to get some pics of each of the other dogs next to her to show how big she's getting.

I've asked a lovely DOLer who knows their Danes what they think about Harper's "breed" mix, and the concensus is that there is definitely some Dane in there... *grin*

I don't mind if she shows to the size of a small horse - she's my new heart dog, and I love her to death... and I'm a "big dog person" anyways...

I weighed her on Saturday and she was 15.1kgs, and I measured her to the withers yesterday and she was 46cm - now officially taller than Pickles... lol!

General concensus is a final weight between 45 and 55 kgs, and final size possibly a bit on the smaller side for a Dane, but more solid in build.

I've been given a link to some awesome information on growing a healthy Dane, and will be following that advice to make sure she grows strong and healthy. Minor adjustments may need to be made due to her more solid build type than the average Dane though.

T.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's growing well... weighed in on Wednesday at 15.9kgs... 800g up from Saturday... errr!

She came to Christmas Day at my aunt's place and was the best behaved "person" there... and didn't have any accidents or anyhing (which my aunt was concerned about - even though Harper is toilet trained... *sigh*). We even ended up snuggled together on the couch (me under Harper) for a nanna nap after eating... *grin*... actually it was 2 of my cousins' wives and I all sprawled out on various couches with our dogs - would have made a great photo!

Harper was supposed to get desexed today, but has managed to get a bout of tonsillitis with her teething, so we are putting it off until they are less inflamed and the tube won't aggravate her cough. You wouldn't know there was anything wrong except for a little cough every now and then. I knew it wasn't kennel cough - seen way too many versions of that, and know what to be looking for there - so I took her to the vet who looked into her mouth and said tonsillitis... the vet was very impressed with her in every other way, and said that she is perfect weight for her height, etc.

I'd love to have you for a neighbour Frodo's Mum... but I may have fallen in love with the fawn Frenchie boy and had to have him... and then I would never have gotten Harper... *grin*

T.

Seeing as I've been busy populating Katdogs' thread about her new puppy Sammy and neglecting my duty of taking photos of Harper - I decided to pull my finger out this afternoon and get some of her playing with Pickles.

Note that Harper is a tad taller than Pickles at the withers now... lol! And she weighs more than Pickles now too!

28-12-2012-harper001.jpg

28-12-2012-harper010.jpg

28-12-2012-harper018.jpg

28-12-2012-harper024.jpg

28-12-2012-harper032.jpg

28-12-2012-harper037.jpg

28-12-2012-harper049.jpg

28-12-2012-harper055.jpg

28-12-2012-harper072.jpg

28-12-2012-harper080.jpg

Isn't she just so purty?

T.

She is getting big, I'll agree... but she's my baby girl... *grin*

No-one would have thought she'd get this big when she was born... she and her littermates were all pretty small compared to the other litter of pups we had from a smaller mother - and they were all bigger than Harper and her littermates for the first 6 weeks! The other litter of pups were never going to grow big like Harper though...

Doesn't Pickles have the most beautiful teefies? At least something about her is perfect... lol!

T.

Her ears aren't really all that huge - but teething is playing havoc with their set... lol!

Her feet, ears, and skin all seem to grow, then she fills them and then they all grow some more... and the cycle keeps repeating...

I'm going to have to buy another collar for her this week too - the medium one she got a few weeks ago is at it's largest setting now (40cm approx) and is getting tighter by the day... errr!

She eats 2.5 times as much as the big girls now... they get 2 cups of Nutro a day, and she's getting 5 - 2 for breakfast, 2 for dinner, and 1 for overnight when she goes in her night crate.

T.

Her ears aren't really all that huge - but teething is playing havoc with their set... lol!

Her feet, ears, and skin all seem to grow, then she fills them and then they all grow some more... and the cycle keeps repeating...

I'm going to have to buy another collar for her this week too - the medium one she got a few weeks ago is at it's largest setting now (40cm approx) and is getting tighter by the day... errr!

She eats 2.5 times as much as the big girls now... they get 2 cups of Nutro a day, and she's getting 5 - 2 for breakfast, 2 for dinner, and 1 for overnight when she goes in her night crate.

T.

bet she gets the comb over look to like Luka laugh.gif

are the other in the litter as big ?

I fell in love with her and the blue and white boy when I first saw them as pups

nearly asked about sending one of them down but I wasn't sure if rescue would

then of course I got Luka smile.gif

There's a photo of Harper and her brother Rex on page 4 in this thread... he's smaller than her. All of the rest of the pups were tracking as ending up smaller than her by the time they were adopted. She was always the one with the longest legs... *grin*

The blue and white boy was looking to end up like an Aussie Bulldog - built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse he was!

... and if you ever want any of our rescue pups FM, all you have to do is yell, and we'd be happy to adopt one to you! Actually, you could adopt me too if you want... lol!

T.

There's a photo of Harper and her brother Rex on page 4 in this thread... he's smaller than her. All of the rest of the pups were tracking as ending up smaller than her by the time they were adopted. She was always the one with the longest legs... *grin*

The blue and white boy was looking to end up like an Aussie Bulldog - built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse he was!

... and if you ever want any of our rescue pups FM, all you have to do is yell, and we'd be happy to adopt one to you! Actually, you could adopt me too if you want... lol!

T.

that is so nice of you

darn should have pm'd you when i first saw the litter but then I wouldn't have got my BIG boy so worked out

plus you have a gorgeous girl that I can watch grown into a stunning BIG girl

I did love that boy though laugh.gif

I mean it FM, if you ever see a foster pup of mine that you'd like to join your family, just give me a yell, OK? We get good rates with Dogtainers for transport too... *grin*

Although, I think all has worked out nicely this time with you getting Luka and me adopting his "twinnie" Harper... lol!

T.

I mean it FM, if you ever see a foster pup of mine that you'd like to join your family, just give me a yell, OK? We get good rates with Dogtainers for transport too... *grin*

Although, I think all has worked out nicely this time with you getting Luka and me adopting his "twinnie" Harper... lol!

T.

thank you ...Oh might not want to thank you though laugh.gif

and yes worked out well for both of us as I still get to see Harper grow up smile.gif

Don't you just love the "teething ears" stage?

The fact that sometimes her ears sit nicely is giving me some hope they will turn out pretty good eventually... *grin*

Her latest "trick" is digging holes on the yard... and I know it's Pickles who has taught her...

T.