My Dog Has Dog Suddenly Started Eating Poo

Any ideas why a dog would quite suddenly start eating faeces? Lexi my almost three year old Golden has never shown any interest in eating poo...then all of a sudden she will gobble one down right in front of us and we have no idea why.

We aren't sure who's poo she is actually eating but they're all on the same diet, and they're not fresh when she gets them (although they're less than a day old). Today we were out for a walk and she went to grab one on the nature strip but I caught her before she picked it up

Is she eating dog poo or could it be cat crunchies? Bruno will snaffle up cat poo if I'm not quick enough in getting past it! It's a delicacy akin to truffles. :eek:

WA has sand more than soil. Cat crunchies seem to be hiding everywhere in some of our regular walk.

Hi,

try giving a spoonful of crushed pineapple with the dinner.

It seems to stop the behaviour by supplying some enzyme they're missing.

Brabara B

Thanks....and ditto to Noisy's question

Does anyone know what would suddenly change the behaviour like that though? I had assumed if a dog didn't do it as a pup and nothing had changed in their life then they wouldn't suddenly pick up a behaviour like this (she was doing it before we moved)

If cats did turds that big in my yard I'm pretty sure they would be lying dead only a few feet from it....actually no wait....a cat wouldn't have time to pause and do a turd with three dogs there lol

:laugh:

Oops, I misunderstood and thought you meant ouside of your yard on walks!

Hi,

try giving a spoonful of crushed pineapple with the dinner.

It seems to stop the behaviour by supplying some enzyme they're missing.

Brabara B

Thanks....and ditto to Noisy's question

Does anyone know what would suddenly change the behaviour like that though? I had assumed if a dog didn't do it as a pup and nothing had changed in their life then they wouldn't suddenly pick up a behaviour like this (she was doing it before we moved)

They are dogs they don't neeed a reason to do anything. :)

Adding pineapple (any pineapple) seems to stop most eating poo. The pineapple is supposed to make poo too dreadful to eat.

I always suggest the cheap plane label crushed sweetened or unsweetend.

Sorry to be a party pooper, sorry for the pun LOL .

Neither worked for my girl. Infact I have tried pretty everything & the only thing that does work here is to remove it asap. When we are out anywhere I keep a keen eye on her otherwise she will even now at almost 2 years old eat it or maybe roll in it, depending on the day.

If cats did turds that big in my yard I'm pretty sure they would be lying dead only a few feet from it....actually no wait....a cat wouldn't have time to pause and do a turd with three dogs there lol

:laugh:

Oops, I misunderstood and thought you meant ouside of your yard on walks!

Oh, yes today she grabbed one on a walk, but usually its at home

When one of my dogs was in puppy preschool the trainer suggested Wild Forage as a solution. Not long after, my puppy decided that she was a bit keen on eating poo. We got some Wild Forage from the vets and just added 5ml to both dogs' food each day. It didn't take long to be effective and we only needed to persist with it for about a month. It was quite expensive for us because we got just a small bottle from the vet, but it is available much cheaper online and probably from stockfeeds too.

Guest donatella

My puppy does this, lays a fresh one and then turns around and eats it :vomit:

I end up on a turd chase trying to get it from her mouth before she eats it all. It's MINGING!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you find something that works.

I'm gunna try both the pineapple and, eventually, the Wild Forage if I can get it. Thanks for the thread and info!

This behaviour drives me crazy. So yuck and unhygienic - specially for an indoor dog that mouths us all the time. :o

I don't know what she eats - be it from possum, koala, duck etc - but it can't be healthy IMHO.

I do the poo patrol morning and afternoon/evening... yet they still will go out for a midnight snack while it's dark...

I have 3 poo-eaters here, but they only eat each others - not stranger poo outside of our yard. I'm pretty sure that the older girl has taught the younger ones the habit...

T.

My puppy does this, lays a fresh one and then turns around and eats it :vomit:

I end up on a turd chase trying to get it from her mouth before she eats it all. It's MINGING!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you find something that works.

I have tried different things too but my 15 year old still eats poo from time to time. Certainly hasn't shortened her life span.lol

Caesar Milan on one of his shows gave a dog with the same problem bannana and it worked, good luck

*adds Banana to the list*

Mine does not just nibble from time to time. She is obsessed! Changed from walking in collar to harness because I have to keep pulling her away from it. It is everywhere here. Not necessarily dog poo - cat, ducks, bush turkeys, foxes - you name it!

The Wild Forage is on my "wish list" at Vet-N-Pet to come in the next order. :D

Pineapple cubes are in the freezer to go with each meal! She loves it!

I've got a poo eater here, but it's not any dogs poo, just some. I dont think he eats his own or Pucks but I think it could be the blue girls poo he eats, I'm not certain. I'm pretty vigilant with picking it up though, I usually do poo patrol at least twice a day but I'm sure he still sneaks some that I've missed.

I've never been clear on the pineapple thing, some say you feed it to the actual poo eater, some say you feed it to the dog who does the "tasty" (not) poo. Mostly I've heard it's the latter, but for dogs who eat random poos how would you get to feed the pooer pineapple if its not even your dog?