Breed For My Mother.

IggiePiggie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother has expressed interest in a Weimaraner. Any thoughts?

They are very high energy and need lots of training .Rather than going for the look of a dog try this.Let her read some dog breed profiles whithout knowing what breeds they are and see if she can pick some that fit what she wants in a dog then see what ones she likes the look of and narrow down from there.

If she likes smooth coat and sighthound a Greyhound or whippet and perhaps look at a Vizsla.Some Vizsla are more layed back than others but still need a good long walk and run every day.

I'd go a Whippet! Less neurotic than an Italian. We have one and he's very easy to walk, just stays close by, sleeps more than you could imagine, loves attention and cuddles, no doggy smell, the only real upkeep is trimming their claws all the time! So placid and gentle!! Love Whippets :)

I think a Sheltie would fit the bill. If she doesn't want a puppy, maybe an ex show dog would be a good option.

Shelties are wonderful dogs.

I suggested a sheltie!

My siblings concern is that it will require alot of grooming.

Sheesh!! The things people worry about. One dog - take it to a groomer every few weeks. :laugh:

Shouldn't they be brushed around 2 times a week?

I was first thinking (suprise, suprise!) Tibetan Spaniel. Great little in-home companion dog who likes spurts of play running in the garden. But not a long walks dog. Not sure, tho', your mother would be interested in a Tibbie.

However, a great, all-round breed is the Cardigan Corgi... bit more laid back than its Pembroke 'cousin'. Our family owned one for years and she was an amazingly adaptable little dog... could turn her paw to being an inside dog, happy to take a walk, just a lovely affectionate & biddable dog.

One option for a senior person when adopting a new pet, is to look at the registered breeders' pages on DOL. They list their dogs, beyond the puppy stage, that they want to retire to good pet homes. We've got all our own dogs this way, from excellent breeders, & they've been excellent pets. Or as someone else suggested, look at the PetRescue profiles

I think a Sheltie would fit the bill. If she doesn't want a puppy, maybe an ex show dog would be a good option.

Shelties are wonderful dogs.

I suggested a sheltie!

My siblings concern is that it will require alot of grooming.

Sheesh!! The things people worry about. One dog - take it to a groomer every few weeks. :laugh:

Shouldn't they be brushed around 2 times a week?

Once a week for about 20 minutes should do unless they are dropping their winter coat when a brush out every few days for a few weeks would be better. Hardly a high maintenance dog. Sheltie coats are not at all difficult to care for but should be dried with a dryer.

I'd go a Whippet! Less neurotic than an Italian. We have one and he's very easy to walk, just stays close by, sleeps more than you could imagine, loves attention and cuddles, no doggy smell, the only real upkeep is trimming their claws all the time! So placid and gentle!! Love Whippets :)

Actually I would think a whippet is a great suggestion based on some of the other info. Less fragile than an iggy. If she is considering a weimeraner than she doesn't want a little dog and while not as big as that they are not small. Low maintenance and all the 1s I have met have been lovely dogs.

Maybe take your Mum out to a dog show and let her meet some different breeds. Otherwise I like the suggestion of getting her to read about some without knowing what breed it is to see what traits she likes the sound of.

She does want it. She has been talking about it for ages. The coinciding of Christmas and her birthday just gives us a chance to buy it for her.

She does have an idea of what kind of dog she wants, as I said, she would like something along the lines of an Italian Greyhound but she doesn't want to have the restrictions that come with a sighthound.

I am essentially doing research for her.

then a greyhound doesn't fit at all.

I had a big discussion with her today and we went through some breeds pros and cons and she has decided to go for a Cocker. She has owned a cocker twice before and feels comfortable with it.

Talked to a couple of breeders and they have been a bit nervous about the whole christmas thing but my mum is going to call them to set them at ease.

Thanks for the help guys. You're right I think the Weimeraner might be a little too much for her. We were just considering it because my mum had wanted one so bad for so long and she bought one in the 90s and it was stolen before it was delivered. So she never got one. But we decided it was a little impractical.

So we think we are going forward with a Cocker Spaniel, although we are now doing a little more research into Shelties aswell.

ta.

xx

She does want it. She has been talking about it for ages. The coinciding of Christmas and her birthday just gives us a chance to buy it for her.

She does have an idea of what kind of dog she wants, as I said, she would like something along the lines of an Italian Greyhound but she doesn't want to have the restrictions that come with a sighthound.

I am essentially doing research for her.

then a greyhound doesn't fit at all.

Yeah, we went through the list of breeds we'd compiled and sighthounds were the first scratched out. I own Italian Greyhounds and my sister owns Afghans. We know the deal. And so does mum. What I mean about that is that I think having a dog with a prey-drive could be difficult for her. It would complicate some things which i don't want complicated, like walking etc.

Good luck with the Cocker, IggyPiggy. Check that the parents have been tested for PRA and FN and are clear by DNA or by parentage.

I wondered about a Schipperke? They are great little dogs, smart, agreeable, good watchdogs, not too big, some grooming, but not a lot. They come in black and cream, but there aren' t too many cream ones about. Active or happy to lounge around, whatever.

Good luck with the cocker, good choice

Guest donatella

My nannas retiree dog was a cocker (after greyhounds her whole life but couldn't keep up after pop died and wanted a smaller house dog). Worked well for her.

We recently got a 2yo cocker. He is a great little dog. So happy and chilled most of the time. The only thing I sometimes sort of regret is that we didn't get to see him when he was a puppy. Cockers are up there with the cutest puppies in the world :)

Like dancinbcs said, Shelties are really easy to groom! A brush once or twice a week is plenty, I probably average 5-10mins per session, although my boy doesn't have a big coat. I do the occasional comb or trim out of matts behind the ears, which he gets because he and my other dogs are chewing on each other.

Shelties are sweet and gentle, and very focussed on their person. Trainable, energetic but with an off switch. They

tend not to be all that interested in other people, although shouldn't be fearful, just indifferent. With my little weirdo it depends on his mood, some days he's friendly to people and happy to have pats, other days he steers completely clear. He seems to think children are weird aliens and jogs ahead of them looking back over his shoulder with concern

when they try to pat him :laugh: He's not a wimp though, he plays roughly with my Aussie Shepherd who is 3 times his weight and holds his own.

Thy can be NOISY! I had heard this and thought I could manage it, but Riley barks ALOT! I wasn't strict enough from day 1 though, have other dogs who rile him up etc, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem for your mum.

Best of luck with the decision and the search :)

Edited by Simply Grand