Temperatures

SkySoaringMagpie

Showing the Min Pins was the opposite, they loved the heat (I didn't) and showed beautifully. Cold, wind and/or rain, poor things huddled in their crates and weren't impressed going in the ring, moved all tucked up and toplines would do a Borzoi proud on the stack lol. Didn't go to many shows during winter.

My black male adult std poodle does not really like the heat. I prefer to enter the evening shows.

Unfortunately we can't wet them down either!!...

It's a bummer though all the work that goes in the days before the show....only for it yo be a stinker ....like it was at EP last weekend!!

Edited by Poodle Mum

I quickly threw together some bunnings compost sides last night as I was worried about taking the soft crates. The dogs loved it, next outing I will bring shade cloth and pegs to make a lid, not that they tried to get out except for Fern once and she was only half hearted.

post-3047-0-63137700-1354352585_thumb.jpg

ETA: we actually had to have solid sides up for an hour or two this morning at Kilmore!

Edited by Rebanne

It got to 27C at our agility trial today but it was very humid and felt at least 10C hotter! It was hard work keeping everyone cool between runs but at least it didn't matter what they looked like :laugh:

Rebanne - I had 8 of those compost panels set up today at the trial on the grass (adjacent to my gazebo) for my temporary resident puppy. Absolute lifesaver! Put a reflective "blanket" over half for shade and I reckon he was more comfortable than anyone. Thinking of adapting this for my Dally who has learnt how to undo padlocked zips on soft crates - dragging the big Vebo crate around is killing me.

This is where I love the lidded c-crate and similar pens. You can peg them down to keep them in place and they are lighter than big crates to move. Just take more space! I have a soft crate but it sits in the shed as as others have found the dogs get too hot in it.

I personally don't like cooling coats as I am not totally convinced they work. A dog stays cool primarily through paws and belly. Wetting or covering the whole coat can increase skin temperature. The reason they don't generally recommend wetting the whole dog in cases of heat stroke.

I actually find the soft crates get hotter then the usual metal ones or trolleys.

Soft crates are much hotter for our dogs. Don't use them over summer at all.

Agree with you both

They are far hotter because of the material Saff.

Even with the sides up so the mesh can have the breeze through it.

They are better for cooler weather.

For me, i hate the heat, so if i can stay home when it is over 30-35 i will.

I would much prefer to be in air conditioned comfort than at a show under a gazebo and sweltering

2 of my dogs cope well with the heat but Eva doesnt, so she wont be shown much if at all over summer or the warmer weather.

We use cool coats and cool mats to keepe the dogs cool and i also have been known to use the frozen esky blocks under a dog bed to help cool the dogs as well

I normally have a c-crate but was about to get huge soft crates for each dog instead.

Stick to your C crate and throw a wet sheet or towel over with fan on it if possible, way way cooler then the canvas soft crates, these get incredibly hot despite the add saying they stay cool, I tested mine with all flaps open and inside a Gazebo placed thermometer in there and in normal wire crate and the temp went up to 37.8 in one hour and this was no dog in there, no sun on it either. Outside day temp was 25 deg, high humidity. In the metal cage Temp stayed at 36deg

This is where I love the lidded c-crate and similar pens. You can peg them down to keep them in place and they are lighter than big crates to move. Just take more space! I have a soft crate but it sits in the shed as as others have found the dogs get too hot in it.

I personally don't like cooling coats as I am not totally convinced they work. A dog stays cool primarily through paws and belly. Wetting or covering the whole coat can increase skin temperature. The reason they don't generally recommend wetting the whole dog in cases of heat stroke.

+1

I think that 40deg is way to high as the cut off, it should be more realistic to the wider Australian show regions, as you can get a reportedly 27 deg day which feels more like 38deg with soaking humidity, no breeze and no shade in site, and dogs and humans wilting, to the 30's temps with breeze, shade and no humidity which feels fine.

Show dog is Silver poodle and so far she is oblivious to heat, as I fade away even in low 20's if the humidity is high she wants to run around and be a maniac. (I think she has built in reflective lining :rofl: )

Shade is #1 priority, my gazebo has reflective roof inner lining with high UV factor included, next purchase is the reflective walls, open show trolley for one dog metal crate for other with plenty of air circulation room (bigger size then needed), water bowls frozen and melts as day goes on,I have extra kept in esky so I can swap - I pre freeze in container and pop them out and wrap in foil to keep frozen until needed, crate fan if needed so far have not used, but do use in car as adjunct to air con as often still hot in back of vehicle when travelling. Cool coat for one long haired single coated dog, Poodle coat and styling precludes use of cool coat and spray with water :(

i love how everyone thinks about coats and mats to keep dogs cool, but has any one of you considered the feet? the grass can get very hot on a hot day. i have walked on it myself barefeet and it very ouchies.so i can imagine how it be like for the dogs.

We are compulsory night shows in summer so nothing before 6pm except for about 4 country shows which are generally cooler .

I have shown at hot shows both here & the east .

Here is easier as i have all my gear & live 5 mins from the grounds so can turn up last minute & go home again if required.

We can't use generators at our canine grounds(can country) s i have to use deep cycle batteries to run the big fans which is a pain in the arse as there heavy & take days to charge .

I have 2 batteries & can run 4 130 watt fans for 8/9 hrs each .cool coats.silver sides,ice.

The fans i run one on the floor & then attach the other to the oz trail roof to blow down & works wonderful .

I think if your prepared to take all the gear required it can work but you need to access each dog for the occasion .If its hot i certainly don't take many dogs generally 1 or 2 because even though i take the trailer to shows the dogs travel in the car so if its hot its car only anyway i do shudder when i see people who turn up with no form of shade on hot days that is very scary

I will often not turn up for very hot shows but if i do then i go with everything but the kitchen sink to ensure the day out is a safe one .

Edited by showdog

+1

One year we had travelled to SA for the Specialty and Autumn Festival Shows - it was forcast over the 4 days to be 30 deg but the day after the Specialty it was about 45 deg - at that point I had 2 cool coats as I normally only showed 2 dogs (the show supply people there had sold out the 1st morning too)- the dogs that had the coats on were far more comfortable than those that didn't I can tell you. They work and they work well - I now have 6 and 2 cool mats. Thank god for the wonderful caravan park owners who let us have the dogs inside that day in the aircon (they all couldn't fit in though so we had to rotate from trailer's w cool coats & fans to inside). We travelled home overnight and it put me off returning to those shows since actually.

For our breed - single short coated - they work.

My tenties seem to love hot days. 35 degrees here today and they would rather run around the yard than settle down in front of the air-con. We have shown in 35 degree temp. It affected me more than them. Went too Cohuna\kerang a few years back and it got to over 40 degrees so they postponed the show. I went up town and brought a generator and fans for humans and waited it out at the grounds.

Couldn't head home as it was a six hour drive. Couldnt go back to motel. Actually I could have but the dogs would have suffered so the best option was to stay on the grounds with fans going.

current equipment. Trailer is insulated and has fans installed with thermostatically controlled exhaust fan. with the doors open there is good airflow. Four berth but with six doors and window. Dogs have crate fans. Now days if its going to be above 30 I usually pack the generator and fans for people and silver mesh walls. Mind you being inland we get a very dry heat-not much humidity usually, unless theres a storm coming through real quick. However we usually stop showing in October and wont start again until about easter. 45 degree heat during the day and lots of wildlife hazards on the road at night just makes it too risky.

If it's going to be over 35 degrees, I tend to stay home. But that said I did the Spring Fair in 2009 with Lowchen and when I won both Dog and Bitch Challenge I rigged it slightly so that the bitch won because she could handle the heat better than the dog. He got hosed down and was happy, and she showed well with a wet arse and feet.

But for normal shows I make sure I have plenty of shade, I have silver shade for the canopy and trolley, lots of water. If they look too hot, I wet them down as much as possible (wet feet can be hidden) and will wet down completely and withdraw them.

Their health comes first.

Can you buy a gazebo roof in the silver shade? Or even ordinary shade cloth? Cause sometimes the normal ones trap in the heat.

Those sticking up bits in the middle make it hard to guess how much shadecloth you might need to use as a roof.

Can you buy a gazebo roof in the silver shade? Or even ordinary shade cloth? Cause sometimes the normal ones trap in the heat.

Those sticking up bits in the middle make it hard to guess how much shadecloth you might need to use as a roof.

You can now buy silver shade roofs for gazebos. Have only seen them for the normal size gazebos not pavilions. :(

http://www.catonam.com.au/p_shademeshgallery.php