What Do You Feed And Why

Greylvr

Mine get a small dog biscuit each morning for breaky ,atho Renae is now on a prescription diet, so is getting that with her meds in the morning.

In the past (and still with Joey) he either gets RC dental dry food, or one of the good supermarket ones. I would love to use veges as fillers with their dry food, but it doesn't agree with their stomachs. I do give them a bit of raw chopped up carrot if im chopping up some for our tea.

Couple nights a week they get a raw chicken neck each.

I used to make up a mince (lean one for humans) with veges/pasta or rice mix ages ago for their tea, but have switched to dry food since.

On occasions they might get something left over from my husband's tea provided it is safe and gentle on their stomachs.

And atm i giving them some natural low GI greek plain yoghurt with their dry food at night.

They seem to do well on their diet :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

human grade meats, poultry and fish - all raw - large chunks with and without bones as I want to know what I'm feeding

prefer to stay away from processed food, although do keep grain fre dry food for emergencies and holidays

I would prefer to feed roo meat with the VANS ,but its $5 for an 800g roll, whereas chicken mince is $1 a kg.

Just out of interest to those who feed human grade meat, why? surely its more "messed" with than pet grade.?

Edited by juice

I feed a raw diet and have for the past few years. I make it up myself, I used to feed BARF but now what I feed is more similar to prey model. Even my cat is on a mostly raw diet. I feed raw for a number of reasons - my dogs do best on it, for me it's more economical than a super premium diet, I like knowing what goes into what they eat and I think it's better for them. I also think eating raw meaty bones has added benefits like increasing muscle strength in their jaws etc especially for pups. I also find feeding raw easy - I think that the way dried food is marketed leads us to believe feeding a balanced diet is something you need to be a scientist to get right, IMO don't think it is that difficult at all.

I would prefer to feed roo meat with the VANS ,but its $5 for an 800g roll, whereas chicken mince is $1 a kg.

Just out of interest to those who feed human grade meat, why? surely its more "messed" with than pet grade.?

Most of the pet mince has a fair bit of fat..

Zig seems to have a bad reaction to a fatty diet, so he gets roo and beef - both lean and less fatty than the pet mince.

That and I can't stand the smell of pet mince :o

pet grade has perservatives etc added to it. Where I live it used be from downed cows etc that the pet shop owner himself went out and shot. No idea what happens now but I would never feed pet grade to my animals.

I feed all dogs only once per day.

Whippets: Younger dogs are on Royal Canin Medium Junior. Herbie is on Hills K/D as he has early stage renal issues.

Poodles: Royal Canin Mini Senior (8 +)

Apart from Herbie, the dogs' kibble gets spiced up with various kind of mince or tinned fish.

All dogs get meals of chicken RMBs and recreational beef bones. The odd meal of 4 Legs gets into the mix. I do add a bit of organic coconut oil to the Whippet's diet. The poodles won't touch it.

Why do I feed this? The dogs like their food (RC is the only brand Howie will always eat), do well on it and I can get RC at a good price though their breeder's club. Most of the sighthound folk I know well swear by RC. Herbie needs a special diet and sadly the RC kidney kibble isn't available in Oz. :cry: I also think they're doing really well on their diet.

In oil or in springwater? I have found an increasing amount of Woolies Homebrand sardines mislabelled as springwater when they're actually in oil. Mini doesn't mind but Grumpy is on a restricted diet. Makes me so cross that their quality control is lax.

I know a dog that's put on 12kgs in a year, it went from a healthy weight to a great lumbering panting (probably) miserable dog

Unless they are just feeding more and exercising less, there is a good chance the dog has a medical issue.

Our old boy kept gaining weight after chemo and although I had cut his food so much that he was starving all the time, he kept gaining..

Blood tests showed his thyroid had all but stopped working. Meds and about a month on low fat, good food and he was back to his old self...

In oil or in springwater? I have found an increasing amount of Woolies Homebrand sardines mislabelled as springwater when they're actually in oil. Mini doesn't mind but Grumpy is on a restricted diet. Makes me so cross that their quality control is lax.

In oil Sheridan... either fish or olive oil. I avoid the soy oil.

If I was concerned about fat, I'd be feeding the springwater stuff too.

I don't feed pet mince. My dogs get enough chicken bones and the non-chicken stuff tends to be riddled with preservatives. :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I know a dog that's put on 12kgs in a year, it went from a healthy weight to a great lumbering panting (probably) miserable dog

Unless they are just feeding more and exercising less, there is a good chance the dog has a medical issue.

Our old boy kept gaining weight after chemo and although I had cut his food so much that he was starving all the time, he kept gaining..

Blood tests showed his thyroid had all but stopped working. Meds and about a month on low fat, good food and he was back to his old self...

Nup, just over feeding. The person has only had the dog a year, it was healthy when it arrived but is fed ad lib.

We feed Cobber working dog kibble (which I'm really pleased with) with raw mince from our local butcher - a mix of chicken and lamb. It is pretty high fat but that suits our lot. The mini-dog Pippen (pom) gets Canidae - the sea one.

All have some Box 1 bikkies thrown in as well. Pippen loves pretending he's a big dog having a big bikkie!! We give lamb bones tothe big guys regularly for teeth etc as well. Pippen has a chicken neck or wing tip. I still can't get over the miniscule bits of food he needs!

pet grade has perservatives etc added to it. Where I live it used be from downed cows etc that the pet shop owner himself went out and shot. No idea what happens now but I would never feed pet grade to my animals.

This.

I was feeding Holistic Select for a year and a half, then spent 6-8 months on Hills ultra Z/D for unknown skin irritations. I now alternate between Wellness fish and lamb as it seems to have helped immensely with scratching and rubbing. Occasionally I will also buy the VAN raw mix and mix a bit in with his kibble. Other then that, diet pretty much stays the same as I haven't had to use our medication in several months.

Yes, pet grade meat could be full of anti biotics or goodness knows what other medications, and the animals could've been diseased. I used chicken mince, which is from a butcher and I believe is minced up carcasses, and ox cheek which is human grade.