Night Or Morning, Or?

feeding time at the zoo  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Is your dog fed night or morning ?

• Night time only
    • Morning only
    • the meal is fed in two parts at each end of the day
    • It depends on what we are doing
    • There is no set time

Evening with a snack in the morning. A routine that just works for me. I have more time in the evenings. I find they settle better at night.

As an aside - Juliette de Bairicli Levy argues that the morning is 'eliminatory' and doesn't like feeding anything much before midday.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My adults are on 1 meal a day - which usually happens when I get home from work. Puppy gets 2 meals - one as I leave for work, and one when the others have theirs when I get home from work.

On the weekends, puppy gets her breakfast at the same time as most mornings, and they all get fed in the afternoon sometime when I feel like feeding them... *grin*

T.

Hmmm . The house dogs all get fed as they get put to bed ... They have a toilet run beforehand .. Then have their dinner in bed .Workers get fed in the evening - no set time.

Mind you, house dogs also get toast crusts/meat offcuts /left over cat food etc. during the day :)

Mine get a snack (chicken neck) in the morning and main meal at night. If I didn't give them something in the morning then they would be chewing the dining room chair legs by the time I get home from work at night. Mac is hungry 24/7 and Andy is the worlds best inhaler of food so I supervise carefully at night! :)

ETA oh and RMBs on weekends , sometimes weeknights when I can supervise. (I swear Andy the 'Hoover Westie, inhales rather than chews!)

Edited by westiemum

I do it because I get better focus and work out of them during the day, if we're not doing anything they sleep the meal off. Working days get a smaller meal given early in the morning so they dont sit on a massive meal.

I feed twice a day so they dont get used to eating massive meals, and ocassionally they have to miss out so it's not a big deal ... mine would eat me alive if I only fed once a day anyway :rofl:

Guest Labradork

I dont fit into the poll either. I feed them 3 times a day because I dont want Poppy to get a bloated tummy...and Oscar would get upset if I didnt trick him into thinking he was eating more LOL. It also allows them to have more variety. Poppy has Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy for brekkie, a chicken wing or lamb bone for lunch, and chicken and vegies for dinner. Oscar has yoghurt for brekkie, tuna for lunch, and chicken and vegies for dinner. Occasionally, I swap one of his meals for a chicken wing or lamb bone.

Two feeds (or more, I tend to vary according to whether I need to really up his weight) and usually at either ends of the day. No specific times - this varies as well - although during the warmer months I tend to feed earlier for the morning and later in the evening, when it's cooler. Don't know why. Instinct? Or maybe I'm too flaked from working in the heat during the day myself to manage to haul myself up sooner for the evening feed, lol. .... No, actually I think it is because Mandela's usually more enthusiastic for his meals when the weather is more comfortable, although since feeding the Augustine's SuperFood, appetite loss isn't so much of an issue *touch wood*.

ETA: I ticked the "night and morning" option; the "there is no set time" option and the "it depends on what we are doing" option.

Edited by Erny

My adults are fed once daily - at night. That suited me better with working etc. After dogs are fed, they are likely to lie around, and I like them to lie around at night and go to sleep, but be up at night barking at possums and stone curlews calling and whatever.

In the morning so the fatties have all day to run it off. And the skinny youngster gets a fairly large evening meal ( which reminds me I have not fed her yet).