Need Advice Please

Cougar

Let me play the devils advocate here. What would happen if the dog got hold of the cat but you were not home and had no knowledge of the matter. Personally I feel that since I would be breaking the law if one of my dogs goes onto someone elses property why do people with cats think its OK for the cat to enter my property.

Should probably point out that I don't like cats at all.

We currently have a problem with a cat here. My dogs are confined to the back yard and this bloody cat comes in and urinates all over the front verandah around the front door. I have actually watched the damn thing sitting on my front doormat. However I have a few dogs that enjoy a bit of a hunt and are pretty quick and agile so I might just let them go out the front yard. If the cat gets hurt its the owners fault. It is illegal for it to be on my property. In fact when we lived on property out of town the cat would have been shot on sight to protect our stock.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The woman doesn't seem to care, but loses sight of the fact that others do. Witness your distress. Because you have a conscience, it is difficult for you with no easy answers. Having had time to reflect and read other's posts, I would be inclined to say nothing, and hope that the cat turns up without bad injuries. If he/she does, you can take it to the neighhour and say you found it while you were out walking.

Deception can so often lead to further problems, but taking the quiet way out, might the go in this case.

I have a cat who visits every day and eats my cat's food. I am quite happy about this as they are company for each other and what's a few dollars here and there. Recently, on a few separate occasions, I found throw-ups in my garage and my porch. Because of the consistency and in one case a lot of undigested food, I knew they weren't made by my cat.

I wrote a note to the people who owned the cat (because they live down the road from me, all work and/or go to school and I don't see them regularly) saying what I had found and that I was taking my cat to the vet and maybe they might want to take Tippy in for a checkup as well. The next time I saw them out talking to a neighbour, the woman rounded on me and spat out, "There is nothing wrong with Tippy!!"

So, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think we would all feel concerned for the cat like Cougar does if the same happened to us.

I, like some others am not a fan of cats but more so of the attitude of most cat owners I comne across. Our 3 Airedales are constantly baited by roaming cats. The owners have been warned time and time again. The reponse is that you cannot keep a cat locked up or contained! Well actually you can!

I now have further clout to my warnings as my 11 year old killed a fox in our yard last week.

It is ironical my breed of dogs were bred for vermin control and yet when they prove themself capable of the purpose they were bred for there is a hue and cry while at the same time show breeders are being told they should be breeding "fit for functio" go figure.

Cougar the cat may well be OK, maybe just have superficial injuries and have gone off to lick it's wounds.

I think we would all feel concerned for the cat like Cougar does if the same happened to us.

I, like some others am not a fan of cats but more so of the attitude of most cat owners I comne across. Our 3 Airedales are constantly baited by roaming cats. The owners have been warned time and time again. The reponse is that you cannot keep a cat locked up or contained! Well actually you can!

I now have further clout to my warnings as my 11 year old killed a fox in our yard last week.

It is ironical my breed of dogs were bred for vermin control and yet when they prove themself capable of the purpose they were bred for there is a hue and cry while at the same time show breeders are being told they should be breeding "fit for functio" go figure.

Cougar the cat may well be OK, maybe just have superficial injuries and have gone off to lick it's wounds.

I like to thing that in today's society, more and more people are keeping their cats contained. I know this is the case in the circles I move in. Unfortunately, as with irresponsible dog owners, the actions of a few taint everyone.

Edited by rebelsquest

Hmmmm I would feel terrible too, but with the risk that she might retaliate and poison your dogs, I might be tempted to say nothing also. Poor cat, I hope it's found soon and gets veterinary attention if it needs it. Hopefully, it is not badly hurt and will just think to itself, I wont be going back into that yard!

you have checked with the council and now have to go with your conscience. my old sbt killed a deaf cat on our property once. we went out to the seperately fenced in vegie garden to pick strawberries and the cat was asleep in the corner. both my sbt's went for it but one backed off immediately. not much blood on the outside of the cat so i'm not sure what it died of but i raced it to the vet who rents across the road but it couldn't be saved. the family across the road who owned it were not overly concerned as they had several other cats from an unplanned litter - but i was devestated. i bought a big pile of cat food and toys for the other cats. the husband came and borrowed a shovel and buried the cat in their yard and was fine about it. they had so many kids that i think the cat came over here for some peace and quiet. it didn't deserve to die like that though. so as an animal lover i would've done what i could for the cat even if the owners were not as concerned. i'd have to tell them because i imagine how i would feel if one of my dogs went missing and was never seen or heard from again. plus the cat could be in pain or need vet treatment.

cat owners do seem to struggle with the concept of keeping their cats indoors or in runs and i can never understand why. do owners not care for their safety? when i moved to my current property with the two sbt's mentioned above (one with high prey drive) there was a three foot falling down back fence. when i spoke to the other owners about my urgent need to erect a 6 foot timber fence they refused to contribute whilst making sure i knew they would make my life as a neighbourhood newbie hell if my dogs touched their beloved cat! so i had to keep my dogs totally indoors or leashed for 2 weeks while the fence went up at my expense and it was pouring with rain the whole time. not that a 6 foot timber fence stopped the deaf cat. you can't control everything unfortunately.

I might note that when my dogs caught the neighbour's cat, I was home and as soon as I heard the noise, I was out there like a shot and roused the dogs away from it - unfortunately one of my dogs had shaken the cat causing some nasty internal injuries that it ended up passing away from while the owner screamed and yelled at me for having "dangerous dogs" - OK they were 3 Rotties, but they were contained in their pen with 7' chain link fencing, and my yard also has 6' colorbond fences - the cat came into the dog pen!

I was pretty darned distressed about the cat myself... no-one really enjoys seeing an animal suffering... but I can tell you that the neighbour's retaliation had me a hell of a lot more distressed, with one dog dead and another in hospital after being poisoned.

I swear that if ever another cat comes on my property and the dogs get to it, I'm just going to bury it and no-one will be any the wiser.

T.

I've left a note in her door. Hopefully he will come home at some point, no sign of him yet. I have to tell, she doesn't seem an unreasonable person - hoping it remains that way. I've lost cats before and I hate not knowing what has happened to them (this was before we built an enclosure and started keeping them in).

I saw him catch, shake and toss - the potential for internal injuries is significant I would think. Her attitude is what pisses me off the most - don't make the fact that you don't like your cat all that much, my problem - which it now is. I'll let you know how it pans out.

Oh and tdierikx I am so sorry for what happened to you and your dogs - that's terrible :cry:

Cat has been found and is at the vet having x-rays. Neighbour is being very reasonable about it, thanked me for telling her. She's quite blase about it, 'oh he's a danger seeking cat, used up 2 of his 9 lives' etc etc. She'll let me know how he's going. The previous surgery I had seen was for abscesses due to cat fights.

I am thankful he has been found.

Thanks again.

Yeah, we'll see. She hasn't asked , I haven't offered. It is tricky though - I think in any other circumstance I'd be more willing to help out but she was warned and knowingly chose to carry on the behaviour. I just don't know.

Again she really doesn't seem too attached to the cat, very very casual about anything to do with it "oh well that's 2 of his 9 lives then" sort of thing. Time will tell I suppose.