What Happened In 2008/2009/2010

Steve

In every group and in almost every breed numbers of purebred dogs registered rose in 2009 and fell again after that. Was there something that happened in 2008/2009 we could see as explanation for the rise or in 2009/2010 which may have caused it to fall?

Any ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the GFC around that time? The results of the crisis was confusing at times with small businesses booming at the start of it. Although the link between the crisis and dogs is not strong, I wouldn't discount it as being a factor. People behave differently when faced with impending economic doom and markets work in complex ways. Wasn't this also around the time that the fed Gov was creating situations to encourage the economy and consumer confidence with hand outs and schemes such as BER?

Was the GFC around that time? The results of the crisis was confusing at times with small businesses booming at the start of it. Although the link between the crisis and dogs is not strong, I wouldn't discount it as being a factor. People behave differently when faced with impending economic doom and markets work in complex ways. Wasn't this also around the time that the fed Gov was creating situations to encourage the economy and consumer confidence with hand outs and schemes such as BER?

Could be - something I hadn't even considered.

From www.webe.com.au

An extract from a report on Gen Y and their reaction to the GFC.

I have used is purely to help readers to understand what point I was trying to make above. From what I know, spending increased around this time across the board and perhaps this increased the supply and demand of the purebred dog. Regardless of opinion, I firmly believe most consumers believe they are getting a better quality product with a purebred dog and so armed with confidence and wanting the best when the chips were down across the world might have encouraged the sale and purchase of purebreds???

Perhaps surprisingly, spending increased across the board from December 2008 to December 2009 - despite the threat of the GFC. This is likely a consequence of government stimulus handouts, tax cuts and record low interest rates.

Whilst 18 to 24 year olds maintained their spending rates, it is interesting to note that the most restrained demographic were those aged 25-34... CBA suggest that this was due to more people saving to take advantage of the First Home Owner Boost and preparing for the return of higher interest rates.

I know where I live when we were in drought the bitch's seasons were all out of whack and a lot of breeders had probs getting their bitch in whelp.

ETA my golden bitch spontaneously reabsorbed her litter a week before the biggest dust storm in 50 yrs came through here. That dust storm caused widespread outbreak of parvo and entire litters were lost. Seems the huge volumes of dirt that were dumped across the place often had parvo in them.

Always felt that was a case of nature knowing best when my girl lost her litter.

Edited by indigirl

Yep, I think the GFC may have had something to do with it.

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that the media focus on dog attacks hit it's peak about this time. While there has always been an anti bull-breed (I use that in the loosest generic terminology) attitude, and the negative press associated has increased over the years, wasn't it about now that there was a real focus on banning breeds, introducing muzzling, and the start of tabloid journalism (today tonight etc) televising stories about the 'pink nosed' dog who 'turned'.

Like I say, these stories have always been around, I just feel that it was about this time that the stories became a focus, and front-page news, rather than page 3 of the local rag.

I dont show, but didn't the structure of shows change a few years ago, I'm pretty sure it did in Vic anyway. I recall some friends of mine complaining about it and saying it's not worth showing. Perhaps that also had the knock on effect of less people breeding dogs to show.

Edited by Kirislin

Its probably too hard to try work it out as well without state by state breakdowns too - new state laws, new state CC regs, how active animal rights were in one geographical area etc whether the raise and fall came from one state or not would impact.

We did a survey in 2009 asking about things which were impacting on breeders and finances barely got a mention and I dont think

my financial position or fears of financial issues had any affect on anything I did around that time.

Anyway its probably just trivia but it made me curious. When did they ban close matings? Or when did they say they were banning close matings - maybe everyone got a couple in before the ban?????

Its probably too hard to try work it out as well without state by state breakdowns too - new state laws, new state CC regs, how active animal rights were in one geographical area etc whether the raise and fall came from one state or not would impact.

We did a survey in 2009 asking about things which were impacting on breeders and finances barely got a mention and I dont think

my financial position or fears of financial issues had any affect on anything I did around that time.

Anyway its probably just trivia but it made me curious. When did they ban close matings? Or when did they say they were banning close matings - maybe everyone got a couple in before the ban?????

I'm pretty sure that happened after Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

When did they change the points system for showing - the smaller shows started attracting less points didn't they? To slow down people from going where there was less competition to get the required points?

T.

aah, that must be what I was talking about. Wasn't that about 4 years ago?