Breeders Websites

RallyValley

Would people read a blog style news page that has trial videos, photos, show results etc?

I used to have one and am wondering if I should do it again..

Also if you went to a page that said 'Field Work' and there was pictures of dogs retrieving dead birds (which is obviously a part of what field work is) would you be offended?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would people read a blog style news page that has trial videos, photos, show results etc?

I used to have one and am wondering if I should do it again..

Also if you went to a page that said 'Field Work' and there was pictures of dogs retrieving dead birds (which is obviously a part of what field work is) would you be offended?

I think these days blogs style news pages have moved off websites onto things like fb (which I know not everyone has or uses). I know I'd never visit someones website regularly to see those things, but would follow them if they had a fb or something I could rss.

That, however, opens a new can of worms onto who your target audience is.

I used to have one and am wondering if I should do it again.

I would recommend a blog style layout these days every time. Have the important info on pages and have updates in blog posts. Wordpress every time. It looks smart and is easy to use. You can buy add-ons like a photo gallery, video, etc.

I wouldn't but some people would because dogs are cute and fluffy and don't kill things.

As someone who's trying to look around at different breeder's pages now (not Australian) I get annoyed when I have to "dig" to find what I consider basic info, like info on a specific dog that they own.

Rather than a tab with "boys" and "girls" and a dropdown list of names, having a tab to "our dogs" which would lead to a page with list of names with pictures that you can then see and then delve further. (I hope that makes sense) That's one thing that I do like about some pages I've seen.

Outdated info is annoying, or if you have more than one breed, have clear sections. I've gone to go to one website for one breed, end up looking at a completely different breed and can't find the info I wanted!

Blog style sites are sometimes hard to navigate (IMO) because all the ones I've seen go backwards in date. I would link to a blog but not have the main site as a blog.

My web site has links on it to my video's and my "fun" photos though there are a sprinkling of them on the site. Mainly it is show photo's though. Sometimes photo's and text can be a bit disjointed depending on what monitor you are looking on. Mine, on my laptop, has everything where it is supposed to be, on the desktop monitor (squarer) things can be out of place. So sometimes, don't think a sloppy looking website is a bad one, try another monitor first. :laugh:

My web site has links on it to my video's and my "fun" photos though there are a sprinkling of them on the site. Mainly it is show photo's though. Sometimes photo's and text can be a bit disjointed depending on what monitor you are looking on. Mine, on my laptop, has everything where it is supposed to be, on the desktop monitor (squarer) things can be out of place. So sometimes, don't think a sloppy looking website is a bad one, try another monitor first. :laugh:

Although it shouldnt if coded properly, and uses things like percentages and not fixed widths

*Removes geek pants*

I get lots of comments about my website when people call me. They generally say things like, "I like the way you talk about your dogs", "I like your attitude to rescue", and, my favourite, "You actually seem to like your dogs." :laugh: From this, I'd say, having a personable approach is important.

I have appreciated this thread and I look forward to making some of the changes suggested on my new breeder page.

I thought it was finished, but now I have so much more to do! If anyone wants to provide additional feedback, I'd be most grateful: http://leemakennels.com/border

I am going to make a 'my dogs' page, as described, with photos instead of names as links. I am also going to try to slot in my contact details on the front page.

Although it shouldnt if coded properly, and uses things like percentages and not fixed widths

*Removes geek pants*

it's a DOL one, no codes. (that I can see or work out)

My youngest BC breeder has a page on her site of her dogs owned by others that have titles etc, I really like that. Something for the future seeing as you haven't bred your girl yet! I also like it when breeders put up previous litters pages and you can see what they look like when they are grown up, that also makes me think they are a good breeder who cares about the dogs they breed and keeps in touch with their puppy owners.

And I like to read interesting stuff about the breeder's dogs like something funny they do or about their personality on their separate page, more than a list of results/titles and a pedigree.

Galleries of photos, eg show photos, working photos etc.

Mainly keeping the page up to date!

Most people have said it all.

But the one thing I really want to see (that I have found missing from many breeders websites) are the registered names and pedigrees of dogs. If I'm researching for a puppy and I have particular lines I'm interested in I want to be able to find that information. To be honest when I started thinking about getting a new pup before Hamish came along, I completely disregarded any breeder that didn't include registered names and pedigrees. it felt like "what are they trying to hide" by not including that information. Plus I don't really want to waste my time or that of others if the lineage of the dogs is not of interest to me.

I like breed info, info about you, a page for each dog, health, puppies, results, links for breed info - research etc,

I would like to have video of the dogs as well but found it slowed the site down too much - if people are like me I get bored while waiting and go elsewhere.

While ours needs to be updated badly :)(working on our new ROM Dogs page now !!) - I do get alot of comments on how much people enjoy it, says its user friendly, they get a good feel for us and the dogs and visit alot :) - feel free to take a look if you wish (& any comments appreciated).

http://bisartdobermanns.homestead.com

I get lots of comments about my website when people call me. They generally say things like, "I like the way you talk about your dogs", "I like your attitude to rescue", and, my favourite, "You actually seem to like your dogs." :laugh: From this, I'd say, having a personable approach is important.

I have appreciated this thread and I look forward to making some of the changes suggested on my new breeder page.

I thought it was finished, but now I have so much more to do! If anyone wants to provide additional feedback, I'd be most grateful: http://leemakennels.com/border

I am going to make a 'my dogs' page, as described, with photos instead of names as links. I am also going to try to slot in my contact details on the front page.

Leema, I would have your blog open in a new tab if possible rather than navigate away from the site completely.

Also are you aware that it looks like an old version of your website is displayed when the URL is entered with www in front of it? I am guessing it is an old version since no updates since May 2011.

This means if someone goes to your blog clicks on 20 different things and then doesnt want to press 'back' until they find the original site they may go to the URL and remove /blog which will bring them back to the old site.

PS. new site is much better IMHO love the clean simplistic look, easy to navigate and not too much info on the one page