Dog Bitten While In Boarding Kennel

Bisart Dobes

One of our dog owners had their boy in a kennel over the new year as they were away - I saw him the day prior to him being dropped off to do some show training with him and he looked great, ready to go into the ring with a few extra kgs to get him through the kennel stay.

She rang me in a panic the night they picked him up because he had 3 marks on his coat - hair missing & scabbed. I caught up with them the day after he was picked up and saw that there were 3 puncture wounds and 1 grazed spot with coat totally missing.

So trip to the vet - yes puncture wounds but 4 plus the grazed spot. Wounds all checked and cleaned, 1 with slight infection the other 3 almost healed over - the deepest one is the one infected. Antibiotic injection and tablets for a 10 day course.

My issue is that the kennel said nothing at all, there was no phone call to say that he was injured and needed vet attention (so obviously didn't get that at the kennel) to them or to me (contact in emergency) and they said nothing at all when he was picked up. The owners husband picked him up and was jetlagged so he didn't notice when he was there - not until they were home.

This is a 2 year old entire male - he is great with other dogs, never have an issue with him even if another dog fronts him but now who knows ! - what if he now has an issue with that breed whatever it was ?. I am so angry.

Obviously they will never be sending their dog back there - the vet was disgusted as well and won't be refering anyone there - and needless to say I won't be either.

But my question is - where do they stand with this situation and the kennel ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our dog owners had their boy in a kennel over the new year as they were away - I saw him the day prior to him being dropped off to do some show training with him and he looked great, ready to go into the ring with a few extra kgs to get him through the kennel stay.

She rang me in a panic the night they picked him up because he had 3 marks on his coat - hair missing & scabbed. I caught up with them the day after he was picked up and saw that there were 3 puncture wounds and 1 grazed spot with coat totally missing.

So trip to the vet - yes puncture wounds but 4 plus the grazed spot. Wounds all checked and cleaned, 1 with slight infection the other 3 almost healed over - the deepest one is the one infected. Antibiotic injection and tablets for a 10 day course.

My issue is that the kennel said nothing at all, there was no phone call to say that he was injured and needed vet attention (so obviously didn't get that at the kennel) to them or to me (contact in emergency) and they said nothing at all when he was picked up. The owners husband picked him up and was jetlagged so he didn't notice when he was there - not until they were home.

This is a 2 year old entire male - he is great with other dogs, never have an issue with him even if another dog fronts him but now who knows ! - what if he now has an issue with that breed whatever it was ?. I am so angry.

Obviously they will never be sending their dog back there - the vet was disgusted as well and won't be refering anyone there - and needless to say I won't be either.

To start with I would check the fine print on whatever they signed to board him.

Oh forgot to state the bleeding obvious. While he is good with other dogs they were instructed not to run him with other dogs and his owners pay an extra $20. a day because he is an entire male and they also pay extra for his own 'house' & grass run.

So - NO - he should not have been run with other dogs.

Not sure if forum rules allow disclosure of business name ?.

To start with I would check the fine print on whatever they signed to board him.

Thank you - will get them to check it.

Disgraceful! Not sure where they stand, but I would make sure they have photos of the injuries plus the vet's report, then speak to the boarding kennels and go from there.

Is this in Victoria? If so could you PM me the name so I can avoid them.

A fellow volunteer at a rescue org I was with had an old Akita (undesexed for medical reasons) who was a lovely old soul, esp with other dogs.

She boarded him one Christmas and when she went to pick him up he was in a dreadful state, covered in blood. She rushed him to the vet but he died - vet said he'd been attacked by another dog.

Kennels denied any knowledge of it - FFS. Too many stories like this unfortunately. Makes me really fearful about kennelling my dogs which would only happen in an emergency. My vet has kennels and I leave them there normally - they are walked individually, it's not ideal but OK for a couple of days if I have to.

Guest crickets

Is it possible the dog could have been bitten through a fence? Even if it was something like that, it's no excuse for the kennel not to know about the injury, seek treatment & inform the owner

Not all kennels are like that!!

I find it hard to believe that he could have got those types of injuries unless he was running with another dog. I have had dogs scrape noses etc lunging at weldmesh/fences but never puncture wounds. I could understand if it was maybe in his nose area as it could be bitten through the fence, but hmmmmmmmm.

Honeslty I ahve people trying to make me run unknown dogs together because Fluffy likes to play with other dogs. My policy is no it doesn't happen. I have entire males and often a bitch in season - no way would I run entire dogs together, recipe for disaster!

Just yesterday I was hammered because a person wanted their active dog - large breed - who was coming in just for the day, to run with other dogs as she is very active and we want her to have fun too. I stated no and why we don't do it. Seems you can't please many - not even everyone!!

Oh and I don't charge more! Every dog has a right to safety and returning home in good health and happy

Edited by OSoSwift