I'm Being Sued For Harassment

mantis

The idiot neighbour in my block of units, who has a dog he refuses to put on lead informed me today that he has contacted a lawyer & is suing me for harassment, because I have contacted the ranger twice, about his refusal to put his dog on lead. WTF?

Today when I walked my girl, he instantly let his dog out & when I asked him to call her back, or put her on lead, that is when he told me about suing me.

Apart from the fact I have no money, how is reporting him for breaking the law harassment?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are he's bluffing to scare you into backing down. I'd contact the rangers again, let them know he is intentionally letting his dog off when he sees you and is now threatening you (suing for harrasment can be taken as a threat).

Edited by minimax

The other dog owners here are really nice, if they see me out walking they put their dogs on lead so my girl gets to know them, but this one moron refuses to & is angry with me, because he got fined by the council for not having his dog registered.

I agree he's probably bluffing. First off the cost of one meeting with a lawyer is huge, then the lawyer would probably advise him that he has little to build a case since you personally have not harassed him. Reporting him is within normal behavior especially if he is breaking the law. If you can unobtrusively snap a pic of dog off leash you can have that in your back pocket if anything came of it. I say unobtrusively because these neighbour disputes get out of hand really quick and everyone gets unhappy. No one really wins you just end up living in an unpleasant atmosphere. Since he's acting so defensively I would try avoid adding petrol to flames if possible and just hope your impassiveness might make him realise he's acting like a jerk and leash his dog. Good luck.

Laugh heartily at him, as the others said no solicitor can build a case on nothing and he'll pay a fortune to be told that. He's bluffing.

Exactly.

You could also report him to the property manager and ask that they take action against him. He not only lets his dog run loose, but he has now threatened you as well. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your property. This man needs to be told to leave you alone.

He wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You have every right to report his off leash dog that rushes yours.

Report him again for this latest incident.

Laugh heartily at him, as the others said no solicitor can build a case on nothing and he'll pay a fortune to be told that. He's bluffing.

Exactly.

You could also report him to the property manager and ask that they take action against him. He not only lets his dog run loose, but he has now threatened you as well. You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your property. This man needs to be told to leave you alone.

I'd do this too.

Ignore him. He is an idiot. He is not suing you. There is nothing he can sue you for.

Even if he tried, all the other neighbours are on my side. To show how petty he is, I have put a bowl of water for the birds because they are thirsty, the last two days, he has emptied the bowl & thrown it into the bushes, the guy is a sociopath.

Edited by mantis

Ignore him. He is an idiot. He is not suing you. There is nothing he can sue you for.

Even if he tried, all the other neighbours are on my side. To show how petty he is, I have put a bowl of water for the birds because they are thirsty, the last two days, he has emptied the bowl & thrown it into the bushes, the guy is a sociopath.

Nasty piece of work. Ignore Ignore Ignore. With these sorts of people, no amount of "being nice" or just simple politeness works.

Suing you for calling law enforcement about his dog?

That's like burglars suing you for calling the police when they try to break in. Or maybe for keeping your doors locked when you're out.

I don't think so.

But you could report him for making threats to you and harrassing you.

I would keep a written log of his dog being loose and causing you problems, and him making threats like that (same as Nic.B with her dodgy neighbours).

It is possible to get banned from the civil courts for bringing vexatious law suits (ie ones that have no hope of success).

The other dog owners here are really nice, if they see me out walking they put their dogs on lead so my girl gets to know them, but this one moron refuses to & is angry with me, because he got fined by the council for not having his dog registered.

what a fruitloop. you didn't even have anything to do with the fact he didn't have his dog registered, you only reported dog not being on lead etc.

definitely loopy... and the birds miss out. Is there anywhere else you could put the bowl? my first thought was to put vaseline or some sort of grease on the outside of the bowl so he will get dirty hands for his efforts and the birds get water, but if he is this loopy it's not really worth antagonising him.