My Beautiful Buddy Hung At The Groomers ....how Can This Happen ;(

Cazstaff

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if groomers in other states will know the answer to this, but the first time I booked to take Saxon to a groomer here in the ACT I arrived in the salon which had a small reception area and then a wall blocking any view of the working area. I asked them if I could stay and watch and they said no, I asked if I could at least see out the back and they said I wasn't allowed back there because their insurance wouldn't cover me.

In the end I decided not to leave him there as I just didn't feel comfortable, but I'm wondering whether it could have been true that insurance wouldn't cover non-employees out the back or whether that was an excuse. Any thoughts?

Dogs often misbehave when their owners are present. Making a groom more dangerous with sharp scissors, jumpy dog etc. People often want to stay if they know their dog is going to be difficult but the majority of the time, as soon as the owner leaves the dog settles down and is angelic - making it less stressful overall for dog and groomer. I am insured but not too sure how it all works, but I would guess the insurance thing is a furfy as clients are insured on my property to drop/collect dogs so I cant see what difference it would make. The insurance line has been used at every salon Ive worked at. My salon now is based at home in a huge barn style shed/garage, it's not flashy, but does the job. It is completely open for people to see and I do allow people to stay depending on the circumstances. If it's just a wriggly little dog and nervous owner then I prefer not, but if it is a genuinely stressed dog and calm, switched owner then I find it helps the dog. I used to be more lenient about people staying but got fed up with the dogs focus being on the owner rather than standing straight focused on me. It's especially difficult when scissoring a dogs face and the dog keeps turning to look at its owner making kissy 'good boy' noises over my shoulder :laugh:

Cazstaff stayed when I groomed Buddy. I knew Caz was a 'dog person' and would be sensible and Buddy was an elderly, calm dog.:(

I think groomers should allow people to have a look out back, but can also see that it might set all the dogs off barking if they see a strange face. I think groomers should take it case by case rather than a blanket ban. There is a local groomer here who works from home. Always meets people at the door and wont allow anyone to come in. I have a lot of their clients now due to this.

I'm not sure if groomers in other states will know the answer to this, but the first time I booked to take Saxon to a groomer here in the ACT I arrived in the salon which had a small reception area and then a wall blocking any view of the working area. I asked them if I could stay and watch and they said no, I asked if I could at least see out the back and they said I wasn't allowed back there because their insurance wouldn't cover me.

In the end I decided not to leave him there as I just didn't feel comfortable, but I'm wondering whether it could have been true that insurance wouldn't cover non-employees out the back or whether that was an excuse. Any thoughts?

Dogs often misbehave when their owners are present. Making a groom more dangerous with sharp scissors, jumpy dog etc. People often want to stay if they know their dog is going to be difficult but the majority of the time, as soon as the owner leaves the dog settles down and is angelic - making it less stressful overall for dog and groomer. I am insured but not too sure how it all works, but I would guess the insurance thing is a furfy as clients are insured on my property to drop/collect dogs so I cant see what difference it would make. The insurance line has been used at every salon Ive worked at. My salon now is based at home in a huge barn style shed/garage, it's not flashy, but does the job. It is completely open for people to see and I do allow people to stay depending on the circumstances. If it's just a wriggly little dog and nervous owner then I prefer not, but if it is a genuinely stressed dog and calm, switched owner then I find it helps the dog. I used to be more lenient about people staying but got fed up with the dogs focus being on the owner rather than standing straight focused on me. It's especially difficult when scissoring a dogs face and the dog keeps turning to look at its owner making kissy 'good boy' noises over my shoulder :laugh:

Cazstaff stayed when I groomed Buddy. I knew Caz was a 'dog person' and would be sensible and Buddy was an elderly, calm dog.:(

I think groomers should allow people to have a look out back, but can also see that it might set all the dogs off barking if they see a strange face. I think groomers should take it case by case rather than a blanket ban. There is a local groomer here who works from home. Always meets people at the door and wont allow anyone to come in. I have a lot of their clients now due to this.

Our clinic does not let clients so out in the grooming area while grooms are happening or while there is dogs in the room. Our clinic uses the insurance line not just for client protection but for the dogs being groomed, some do not like strangers and go completely off, making it hard for us down the track.

Our clinic does not let clients so out in the grooming area while grooms are happening or while there is dogs in the room. Our clinic uses the insurance line not just for client protection but for the dogs being groomed, some do not like strangers and go completely off, making it hard for us down the track.

You lie to clients?

So sorry to hear about Buddy, that is just tragic :(

I wouldn't leave my dog if I couldn't have a look out the back. To have a solid wall blocking the area and then saying no visitors allowed doesn't inspire trust. It's not like I would want to go in and inspect the area, I would be happy standing in the door and just having a quick look. If they're not gonna allow that, then at least have a window you can look through to see the grooming area. Knowing that everyone can see the dogs being groomed would be reassuring.

My old groomer at the local pet store has an open door and a window where you can watch, and I would usually just leave her there and go home. Unfortunately once the dogs were groomed they were left loose on the floor, often unsupervised, and after I found my little poodle x unsupervised in a room with a Golden, I stopped taking her there and started grooming her myself. (The Golden was perfectly friendly and placid and didn't bother her, but after being attacked by a big dog, my dog is scared of big dogs, so it would have been very stressful for her).

He is a very beautiful dog, Cazstaff, and a wise one. He is happy now, playing over the bridge, and the bad thing that happened to him is only a dull memory which he never thinks of. He remembers the good times as he idles in the serenity and beauty around him.

This is so lovely Jed, a million thankyou's :hug: I copied it to paper and its on the wall. I keep reading it over and over. Its comforting.

The hardest part of this is how horridly Buddy died so Im using your words to try to overide the heartbreaking images in my head.

Do any Grooming Salons have 1 way windows? That way owners could watch with out disturbing the dogs or groomers.

I take my big dogs Rocko, Ruger and Charlotte to the 'do it yourself' hydrobaths at the new Jamisontown Petbarn. They are in a glass room inside the store. It must be entertaining to watch as we always end up with an audience. Leah and I are always wetter than the dogs when we leave. Luckily its close enough to walk to so we are dry by the time we get home.

You lie to clients?

Its not a lie - if you read what I wrote properly I said its for client protection. If a client trips and falls, we can be sued. Trying to explain to clients that 1) its OH&S, it stirs the grooming dogs, and makes it hard on the groomers, people get annoyed, simply stating the OH&S side of it is simple and most people understand it. Trying to explain to an owner why it upsets the dogs etc can be much harder. They don't seem to understand

Also, we've had a client previous to me starting here, complain to the RSPCA as we had a noisy dog in grooming whom was "being abused by the groomer" it wasn't the case, the dog was a naturally vocal dog. After that the vets got very strict on who came into the grooming section.

ETA - The OH&S issue is that our grooming section is down a flight of stairs. Definite OH&S issue.

Edited by Everythings Shiny

Perhaps a new thread could be started about grooming practices and people's experiences and what to look for?

Don't know you of course Cazstaff but I am sure what happened to Buddy has touched many people deeply who are reading this forum and may not have joined.

I hope each day gets easier for you.

You lie to clients?

Its not a lie - if you read what I wrote properly I said its for client protection. If a client trips and falls, we can be sued. Trying to explain to clients that 1) its OH&S, it stirs the grooming dogs, and makes it hard on the groomers, people get annoyed, simply stating the OH&S side of it is simple and most people understand it. Trying to explain to an owner why it upsets the dogs etc can be much harder. They don't seem to understand

Also, we've had a client previous to me starting here, complain to the RSPCA as we had a noisy dog in grooming whom was "being abused by the groomer" it wasn't the case, the dog was a naturally vocal dog. After that the vets got very strict on who came into the grooming section.

ETA - The OH&S issue is that our grooming section is down a flight of stairs. Definite OH&S issue.

I get that it's about OH&S. I don't understand why you say it's about insurance.

You lie to clients?

I get that it's about OH&S. I don't understand why you say it's about insurance.

If they sue us, it affects our insurance - the insurance company covers us for the public liabilty or something like that. I don't know the exact insurance reason, all I know is if someone is hurt in the clinic (ie general public) it affects our insurance. I do not own the practice, I do not have any authority here. I do as I'm told and do my job, if they say it affects our insurance, then thats what it does. I don't know the first thing about vet clinic insurance and how it works. I'm guessing if the client sues the clinic, they are insured to cover that, hence the insurance would most likely be affected.

He is a very beautiful dog, Cazstaff, and a wise one. He is happy now, playing over the bridge, and the bad thing that happened to him is only a dull memory which he never thinks of. He remembers the good times as he idles in the serenity and beauty around him.

This is so lovely Jed, a million thankyou's :hug: I copied it to paper and its on the wall. I keep reading it over and over. Its comforting.

The hardest part of this is how horridly Buddy died so Im using your words to try to overide the heartbreaking images in my head.

Caz can you speak to your vet about the reality of this? I don't want to make raw wounds bleed but maybe after his initial panic of not having his feet find the floor it may have triggered some kind of endorphins so that he physically wasn't suffering? I've heard reports that when people drown and stop fighting it they feel quite euphoric so loss of oxygen from choking might also be similar? It is still no way for any animal to die but I would hate for you to be suffering because you are imagining Buddy felt more than he did. At some stage, for your own sanity, you might even need to rewrite the script of Buddy's passing that you have running in your head to something you can accept.

We are all thinking about you and Leah constantly. XXX

Well this is something I will never forget and I realise its not much consolation but one of my dogs should never meet a similar fate because Cazstaff was brave enough to share it with us.

Cazstaff :winner:

I think the OH&S comments were a bit insensitive but irrespective of insurance or reasons for denying access, it is afterall a private business and there is simply no public access. I know that I was more impressed with QVS who allowed no access than with my ex-local Vet who let all and sundry tramp through the clinic.

Edited by Tralee

Well this is something I will never forget and I realise its not much consolation but one of my dogs should never meet a similar fate because Cazstaff was brave enough to share it with us.

Cazstaff :winner:

I think the OH&S comments were a bit insensitive but irrespective of insurance or reasons for denying access, it is afterall a private business and there is simly no public access. I know that I was more impressed with QVS who allowed no access than with my ex-local Vet who let all and sundry tramp through the clinic.

I agree with this if anything good has come from this dreadful thing you have ensured that its something that I will always remember and its alerted me to something Id never considered might be something I should be aware of.

I agree with this if anything good has come from this dreadful thing you have ensured that its something that I will always remember and its alerted me to something Id never considered might be something I should be aware of.

I agree too. Just like Jed's terrible tragedy, and the dreadful collar strangling incident a few years ago (and I'm so sorry I've forgotten the DOLer's name), my dogs are better protected against awfulness by brave people sharing. Thank you.